No announcement yet.

My BMW V8 engine build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And what about swapping in the M60, driving it, AND, if you feel you need some more power.... then go with the hybrid. I've had quite a few customers that THINK they need more power, and what they need is suspension, brakes, coaching.......

Comment

Originally posted by Yorl View Post
      And what about swapping in the M60, driving it, AND, if you feel you need some more power.... then go with the hybrid. I've had quite a few customers that THINK they need more power, and what they need is suspension, brakes, coaching.......
      yes there is such a way, but it's not seriously to put m60b40 and after a time, agen mix out the engine, and make m60b44. So I want to be sure that the engine will work normaly, and for a relatively long time.
      I want to hear some of these hybrid engine owner point of view, who is driving with it.

Comment

Gaskets.

Hi all,
        Just a few quick questions. I'm about to start and strip my m62tub44 to rebuild into an m60b44, but what head gaskets are you using? It looks like m62? Can anyone confirm this please?

Also you seem to be using the m60 front casings. Is it possible to use the m62 casing and water cooled alternator?

Thanks in advance,
        Chris.

Comment

It may be possible, but the water cooled alternator is very bulky and takes up a lot of space in the E30's already cramped engine bay.

Comment

M62 gaskets, otherwise the pistons would hit the gaskets.

You use the m60 covers because they have the CPS mount that you need to run the obd-I fuel injection.
            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
            e30 restoration and V8 swap
            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Does Cometic make MLS gaskets for the M/S6x engine family yet? If so, they could probably do a set of M60 style gaskets with the M62 bore.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                Does Cometic make MLS gaskets for the M/S6x engine family yet? If so, they could probably do a set of M60 style gaskets with the M62 bore.

They'll make custom gaskets, but it's $$$. I think in the $500+ range. It took me 2 minutes to put a bead of RTV on the timing covers, and it's been leak free for 5k miles so far. I actually prefer the RTV, as I can remove/reinstall the timing covers without worry of damaging the head gasket. I'd end up using RTV anyway, in that case.
                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Gaskets.

Thanks guys, think I've been having a bit of a blonde moment lately! Lol. I knew about the timing mount on the m60, but someone told me they had done it with the m62 casing using the timing from another sensor (sorry can't remember which one though).
                  Cheers Chris.

Comment

Sorry for yet another question, is it worth getting the m60 heads skimmed? I know the swap will raise compression, will skimming the heads be likely to cause detonation? What about porting and polishing?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hey guys, just saw this post and LOVE it. I will be acquiring a M60 next week but am trying to source a kit to do the valve timing(chain, guides, tensioner etc). Is the m62 the same as the M60? If not do you have a source or parts list I could follow to do this service?

Comment

Originally posted by Padi View Post
                        Thanks guys, think I've been having a bit of a blonde moment lately! Lol. I knew about the timing mount on the m60, but someone told me they had done it with the m62 casing using the timing from another sensor (sorry can't remember which one though).
                        Cheers Chris.
                        If you use an OBDII 420G transmission which mounts the crank sensor in the bellhousing, then you can get the crank trigger signal from the flywheel.

Originally posted by csm-e30 View Post
                        Hey guys, just saw this post and LOVE it. I will be acquiring a M60 next week but am trying to source a kit to do the valve timing(chain, guides, tensioner etc). Is the m62 the same as the M60? If not do you have a source or parts list I could follow to do this service?
                        The chain is different (and thus all the sprockets).
                        The M60 uses an idler sprocket in the V while the M62 uses a U-shaped guide in the same place.

Comment

Hi Dark side, just seen your reply to my question, I'm using the m62 6 speed gearbox, so I may try and get the signal from there. Has anyone tried using the water cooled alternator in an E30? Any pictures? I can't find any anywhere, but I have the full m62, but no alternator from the m60.
                          Cheers Chris.

Comment

Jean, didn't you finish your swap? I can't seem to find the rest of your build.
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

upates?

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                                M62 gaskets, otherwise the pistons would hit the gaskets.

You use the m60 covers because they have the CPS mount that you need to run the obd-I fuel injection.
                                Question about m62 head gaskets, when the heads are resurfaced, would you just use the standard thickness gaskets? or over sized ones? not decked just resurfaced.

The reason I ask is because I noticed last night they offer +3 thickness head gaskets for these engines. Normally I wouldn't ask but m not familiar with the valve clearance on these.
                                M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Working...
                                X