Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 5-lug conversion = what wheel offset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 5-lug conversion = what wheel offset?

If I do a E30 5 lug conversion what wheel offset will I need to get?

Thanks,
    alex

whatever offset the suspension you're putting in spec'd. if its e30 m3, think low. if it's e36, think high.
    sigpic

Comment

5 lug

Which is the preferred choice? Parts from the E30 M3 or from E36?

Rears are only from Z3 right?

Could someone who's actually done this let me know what ET wheels they are using.

Thanks!

Comment

Re: 5 lug

Originally posted by alexbaby88

Could someone who's actually done this let me know what ET wheels they are using.

Thanks!
        E30 M3 stuff is the most straight forward approach to this.....everything bolts right up. The down side to this option is that E30 M3 parts are harder to come by....it was a limited production car so there simply isn't a bounty of used parts out there for one to use.

With the E36 parts, there's LOTS of good used cores of struts, brakes, etc. to do such a project. Eric Lukas did such a conversion on his E30. Run a search on it....there are several pages of info including a breakdown of parts Eric put together.

Jon
        Rides...
        1991 325i - sold :(
        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Thanks!
          The rear assemblies can come from an E30 M3 as well. I'm currently running ET20s on the rear of my 5 lug E30 M3 hubs, with some fender rolling.
          San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

The rear can also come from a 318ti. If you've got a limited slip you can even use your current differential..
            1988 325iC - "Betty" - Daily Driver/Project Car.
            1993 318i - "The Golden Dream" - Dad's Car.
            1995 318ti - "Hellrot" - R.I.P.

Comment

I'm using all E30 M3 parts and the wheels have a +23 offset.

'86 325 2.8i stroker - Arctic Blue
              '11 328i Sports Wagon - LeMans Blue
              Strictly Eta

Comment

Yea, I been wondering how much $$$ difference between e30m3 5 lug set up and a e36 5 lug set up would cost.

Seems e36 m3 are a dime a dozzen now a days, and they are quickly being molested of their parts....

Also, It seems to me that there might be a bigger wheel selection for e36 m3's offset then for a e30m3.

Anyone want to chime in?
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

both suspension swaps will likely come out to the same cost. There is a larger wheel selection for e36s, but e36 offset wheels will fit on e30 m3 suspension with spacers, not the other way around. Therefore, the e30 setup has a larger wheel choice.
                  Both swaps for the rear can be done using only the hubs from an e30m3, a z3 or a 318ti
                  the front of an e30m3 will bolt on and be ready to go
                  the front of an e36 m3.. you need camber plates (yes, NEED), offset control arms ($140 each at cost) and offset control arm bushings. If you are interested in centering your wheel, for a longer wheelbase and unbutchered look, you'll have to look into another alternative for offset CABs. The geometry isn't too jacked if you leave the wheels a little back in the wheel well and clearance isn't much of an issue.
                  Keep in mind that you're probably going to have to do lots of custom suspension shit, adjustable coilovers are almost necessary to get the ride height down (due to the stack height of camber plates for coil over setups) and an e36 m3 bilstein sport for the front costs $250
                  The hubs/brakes/spindles on an e36 M3 fetch a fair amount of money, so be prepared to pay for those, as regular e36 guys want them too.
                  Make sure you factor in the cost of wheels and tires before you do the swap, or you're fucked :D
                  hth
                  -Bryson

edit: forgot to mention i'm using e36/318ti shit

Comment

How much moe secure do you feel with e36 breakes than you would with e30 m3. I know that break fade is rare (meing you have to really be using the breaks) - but these is a "safe feeling" that comes with larger rotors. By feel, I mean petal feel.
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

my pedal takes a little bit more modulation to stop than an e30 m3, this is comparing my car with superblue and braided steel brake lines to my brother's stock m3 with old rubber lines and standard brake fluid.
                      My car will outstop the hell out of his car though :D Due pretty much solely to tire size
                      Also -- brake bias is a little bit off, not too bad now that I'm not running staggered wheels anymore though

Comment

Originally posted by Bryson
                        the front of an e36 m3.. you need camber plates (yes, NEED),
                        bryson -
                        nice summary. i used the e36m3 bearing caps and modified them. ground off the studs and welded on new bolts at desired location. no camber plates needed. i have a good pic if someone is willing to host.

heres a good write up / discussion on the e36 tidbits. http://www.r3vlimited.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15440

cheers
                        jason

Comment

5 lug

On the rears, do the required wheel offsets differ depending on whether I've used 5 lug conversion parts from the Z3, 318ti or E30 M3?

Comment

On the rears, do the required wheel offsets differ depending on whether I've used 5 lug conversion parts from the Z3, 318ti or E30 M3?
                            omg. read this fucking thread you nerd.

Comment

Originally posted by trent
                              omg. read this fucking thread you nerd.
                              That was helpful. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X