Convertible vs. Coupe for track/autox use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convertible vs. Coupe for track/autox use

Are the convertibles THAT bad for the track to the point where it's better just to sell the vert and go for a coupe? Or will I be fine if I just get a roll cage or roll bar? I plan on getting a hardtop on here as soon as possible, but I'm not sure if that will affect the rigidity of the body. Please let me know what your opinion is on this. Thanks!
    '93 E30 325ic - CURRENT | '99 E36 M3 - SOLD | '94 E34 530i - SOLD

"I hit the gasser, go faster, all you hear is dual exhaust flowmaster."

most people only buy verts for track use if that's the only model type available - i.e. miatas, s2000's, old boxters, ect...

a hard top will help with rigidity, though it's still not gonna be as good as a coupe/sedan. that and many organizations require a hardtop/rollbar at a minimum, some even require a full cage.

if you want a track e30, buy something that's in rough shape and have fun. these cars are getting too expensive to ruin something in good shape, especially a vert

Comment

Verts weigh more and have a wet noodle chassis. Youll be better off with a "coupe".
      Project
      Feedback

Comment

Damn it, I already have a vert and want to use it mostly for daily driving but I also want to track it/auto x it some day.

Comment

get a miata

Comment

Originally posted by arch4ngel View Post
            Verts weigh more and have a wet noodle chassis. Youll be better off with a "coupe".
            Yes, you could be a bit faster with a non-vert (you'd also have to drive around with a roof all the time). But guys, verts are not wet noodles. People always like to say this because they read it on the interwebz, because they need to justify not wanting (having) a vert. I beat the ever-loving shit outta my vert and it does just fine. I keep up with several semi-track-prepped coupes at the dragon regularly. Keep your vert, track it occasionally, let everyone at the track be surprised at how well it does and how cool you look doing it.

If you do more track than DD-ing, get a coupe.
            Originally posted by Andy.B
            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
            ~~~~~~~~~~
            I was born on 3/25…
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

One thing of note is that some tracks or clubs may require additional rollover protection for verts, meaning you would need a roll bar to participate. This isn't guaranteed and doesn't apply to autox at all, but is something to be mindful of.
              88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
              We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                get a miata
                I sold my miata for an E30 lol, I want another one but not until I finish building my E30.
                Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                Yes, you could be a bit faster with a non-vert (you'd also have to drive around with a roof all the time). But guys, verts are not wet noodles. People always like to say this because they read it on the interwebz, because they need to justify not wanting (having) a vert. I beat the ever-loving shit outta my vert and it does just fine. I keep up with several semi-track-prepped coupes at the dragon regularly. Keep your vert, track it occasionally, let everyone at the track be surprised at how well it does and how cool you look doing it.

If you do more track than DD-ing, get a coupe.
                That's exactly what I was thinking! Thank you for your inspiration lol
                Originally posted by matthugie View Post
                One thing of note is that some tracks or clubs may require additional rollover protection for verts, meaning you would need a roll bar to participate. This isn't guaranteed and doesn't apply to autox at all, but is something to be mindful of.
                Yeah I definitely want to get a roll bar regardless, thanks for the advice brother!

Comment

Occasional use? As long as the club didn't mind, sure.

Up here, no vert in the BMWCCA, never, no way. Not even racecar with full certified stamped cage.

Because lawyers.

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                    But guys, verts are not wet noodles. People always like to say this because they read it on the interwebz, because they need to justify not wanting (having) a vert.
                    I've owned 6 e30s including 2 verts over the years.
                    Driving over rough road the rear end has a mind of its own.
                    Go drive a convertible back to back with a sedan and you'll see what I mean.

They're not bad cars at all. Perfect for cruising. You can even stiffen them up a bit with a strut bar and chassis brace. But when it comes to handling it'll never compare to a sedan.
                    Project
                    Feedback

Comment

I'd only feel comfortable tracking a vert in which I pass the broomstick test, which is incidentally the regulation most clubs have.

They're fine to track as in they'll work fine on a racetrack, but a fixed roof car will be much lighter, more rigid and in general less rickety.

Comment

Originally posted by arch4ngel View Post
                        I've owned 6 e30s including 2 verts over the years.
                        Driving over rough road the rear end has a mind of its own.
                        Go drive a convertible back to back with a sedan and you'll see what I mean.

They're not bad cars at all. Perfect for cruising. You can even stiffen them up a bit with a strut bar and chassis brace. But when it comes to handling it'll never compare to a sedan.
                        Coupes and sedans definitely handle better than the cabbies. I'm saying that I (in the wet noodle) keep pace with a bunch of coupes that are absolutely flying. To the point that I'd never give up what I get from my convertible in order to gain the handling edge from a hard top car. It's not enough of a difference. Now if you need to be the fastest guy at the auto-x or you wish to club race, don't keep your vert for obvious reasons of safety and whatnot.

What i feel the OP is asking: "Should I give up my DD vert because I've read that they handle like a cadillac at the auto-x?"

My answer: No. That is all.

pissing match clout: :p I've owned 7 e30's 2 verts, 4 4-doors, 1 coupe
                        Originally posted by Andy.B
                        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                          Up here, no vert in the BMWCCA, never, no way. Not even racecar with full certified stamped cage.
                          Yep, same down here. If you're going to track it, the one with B and C pillars is the correct answer unless you're never going to run with the BMWCCA. Based on my experiences with the clubs in my region, I highly recommend doing some HPDEs with the BMWCCA.
                          Originally posted by kronus
                          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Hmmm, all these points are interesting.

Comment

verts are plenty fast... I dream of removing the folding top, putting in a cage and sort of a "bikini" top like they have on jeeps. Less weight and more safe.

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

Working...
                              X