2nd Gen Pathfinder's and QX4's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Gen Pathfinder's and QX4's

I am thinking about getting one for my wife for her daily and for me to use for towing snowmobiles once in awhile. From what I read they are pretty reliable and also fairly easy to wrench on. Looking at 2001.5 to 2004 for the 240hp v6. Hoping to stay closer to 04 and mileage around 100k.

You guys have any experience with these vehicles? Good, bad ugly?

Watch out for rust. NITSA headed a class action lawsuit for rusty frames. My brother-in-law had a southern pathfinder (thinking it was an '01) with around 80k that rusted clean through the frame. Kinda like this:

Originally posted by vlad
    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Hick View Post
      Watch out for rust. NITSA headed a class action lawsuit for rusty frames. My brother-in-law had a southern pathfinder (thinking it was an '01) with around 80k that rusted clean through the frame. Kinda like this:

WOW. I'll be getting a PPI by my very honest and reputable mechanic before I buy anything.

Comment

My experience is mostly with the previous gen path but it's all good. I have one friend with a '94 that he's beaten to shit for a decade and it just keeps on going. Another friend bought I believe a 99 or 00 with a slight bit of front end cosmetic damage, fixed it and has been really reliable. The rear sparkplugs are a pain in the ass and the unibody trucks can get some crazy freeway wobble if the rear control arms get worn out. Which they probably will be at this age.
        84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
        Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Had a 03 QX4 for a couple of years. Other than replacing the ECM (common issue apparently) it was a very trouble free car. I bought it with 108K & sold it with 139K.

Comment

Sorry I'm of no help specifically, as I have no experience with the 2nd gen. But my 1st gen is a tank!

Also, yes. That is a shovel mounted to the back.

The only input I have is that both the VG and the updated sibling the VQ are very, very good engines. And the VQ intake noise with when you attach a cattman is INSANE.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Just get a Lamborghini Aventador.
              2011 1M Alpine white/black
              1996 Civic white/black
              1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

I had a first gen and loved it. leaked like crazy but sold it for what I paid with 260,000 miles. Not a single issue.

My moms neighbor has had his 2002 or so QX4 since I was a young teen. Bought it new and drives 1000 mile round trips every two weeks. Never put it in the shop and it's gotta have at least 300k miles

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys! If I had my druthers we'd be getting something way different but the future Mom doesn't want to drive a stick or a first gen Four Runner!

Comment

A guy at work has a second gen qx4 and it split at the strut tower spot welds, but got it fixed under recall.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                      A guy at work has a second gen qx4 and it split at the strut tower spot welds, but got it fixed under recall.
                      Yup, read about that recall. Def something I'll be having checked if we go down this road.

Comment

I've had a 2002 Pathy and a 2002 QX4. As with most vehicles, if you get one that has been maintained they are great. One of mine was awesome, the other not so much... If you go the VQ35DE route (which I would encourage) do your best to ensure it doesn't have the oil consumption problem many suffer from.

Pic of Pathy after some mods. No pics of QX4, WTB full memory erase of that.

Comment

How do you know if it has the oil consumption problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Polaris15 View Post
                            How do you know if it has the oil consumption problem?
                            It consumes oil. ;)

I don't know if there is a test for it, probably not...google "VQ35DE oil consumption"

*edit* sorry I had VG35 instead of VQ35...typo!
                            Last edited by ParsedOut; 01-30-2014, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I have had two of the R50 generation pathfinders. 96 and 97. Engine's have ok power but are rock solid reliable.

Both Pathfinders have rust holes in the roof. If you find one you like, look it over carefully for rust. If rust starts, attack it immediately and stop it.

Comment

Working...
                              X