hazard switch on a toggle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hazard switch on a toggle?

Hey guys. Like the title suggests, I am curious if I can tie the hazard light switch to a toggle switch? You might ask why I would want to do this, and the answer is simply that I am not running a standard dash anymore as my car has been gutted for a track car. I have a custom switch panel in the center of the dash now, and I have a free toggle I would like top use if possible for this. I have never been good at cutting out perfectly square holes that the stock switch could sit in, so my preference would be to attach it to a toggle instead.

Is there any reason why I couldn't do this? Could anyone point me in the right direction to getting the right wires hooked up?

I think you will need a 4pdt switch if I remember correctly. I drafted a schematic long ago but never got to it. Look up the wiring diagram. It’s pretty simple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0AAC652F-A8EB-4A28-B501-85196EB4C357.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	7198086
    sigpic
    327is
    325es
    325es
    318is
    Fiesta ST
    E46 M3

Comment

That hazard switch is kinda of complex inside. Sure you can rig up something, but unless you want to untangle that spaghetti, just keep it for your "drift car?"
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by dsphil View Post
        I think you will need a 4pdt switch if I remember correctly. I drafted a schematic long ago but never got to it. Look up the wiring diagram. It’s pretty simple.

[ATTACH]124085[/ATTACH]
        That's the same diagram I was looking at yesterday. Been sick for almost two weeks, so my head is a little fuzzy I suppose. From what I can tell it looks like if I tie the gn/yl. bu/bk, bu/rd, gy/rd. and br/wt wires together and then use a switched 12v source to the gn/vi wire it should work, or am I reading that wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
          That's the same diagram I was looking at yesterday. Been sick for almost two weeks, so my head is a little fuzzy I suppose. From what I can tell it looks like if I tie the gn/yl. bu/bk, bu/rd, gy/rd. and br/wt wires together and then use a switched 12v source to the gn/vi wire it should work, or am I reading that wrong?

Think of it as if there are few separate switches in it turning off and on simultaneously.
          sigpic
          327is
          325es
          325es
          318is
          Fiesta ST
          E46 M3

Comment

Yep. One of the reasons why automotive wiring is so confusing, is they do it to lessen the wires going everywhere. So you get things that look all crazy - but the reason is, it's less cost and weight. Copper is expensive.

Comment

I think I found an even easier solution...I am not running fog lights on the car, and the hazard switch looks to fit where the fog light switch was. Much easier then trying to rewire that switch!

Comment

Yep - they are all the same size. You will have to length the wires, but it's an exact fit.

Comment

Working...
                X