Another boring Mtech 2 thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another boring Mtech 2 thread...

Well since there seems to be quite a few people posting up their recent mtech2 buys, I figured I might as well go ahead and post my $500 barn find. The car is a genuine Mtech 2 package, with the upgraded suspension and appearance. Imported from Japan.

While I was searching for a replacement car I stumbled across an add on Alberta Kijiji for a 1990 320i with 140km. The owners had absolutely no idea what this car is or what made it so special, but they took incredibly good care of it. There were only 2 blurry pictures of the car posted in the listings, but I was able to make out an mt2 kit. I promptly phoned up the owners, grabbed the VIN, and made sure I secured it. This thing was scheduled to be turned into a coke can the follow day, and I caught it just in the nick of time. So I completed the transaction over the phone, sight unseen, and waited for close to 2 months for the thing to finally get to my house. I later found out that the PO had dumped nearly 6k worth of repairs into this car to get it registered back in BC (it had spent a few months in Saskatchewan), when after getting screwed over by a mechanic charging WAY too much, the timing belt snapped. Long story short, I essentially got this car for scrap value, and after a few minor events (tow truck driver damaged the car, title transfer was a pain, bunch of other shit), it is home safe in my garage.

Not sure what the plans are as of yet, but here are some ideas:

- Swap over suspension from the 318is - GC coils, IE sways, Full polly bushings, few other bits and pieces, Swap brakes
    - Install 318is Interior, replace cracked dash with one of the 3 minty ones sitting in the basement ;)
    - Intense detailing session
    - Get damage caused by tow truck driver repaired :hitler:
    - 5spd swap
    - Install fresh m20 I waiting to last the winter until the real fun begins
    - relocate battery
    - Part out old e30
    - take off the stupid M badge

Onto what people care about:

I just woke up, finished taking my morning pee, looked out the window and saw what had just finished rolling up

the thing was dirty as hell (still is, haven't done much other than rinse it off) after the long trip back from quesnel. This is before the tow truck driver decided to go to town destroying the valance. I got to watch it all happen and nearly cry...The car is SO clean for what it is...

Autotrajic, dirty as hell, broken glove box, cracked dash, but nothing that can't be repaired.

you can see some of the damage that was caused by the tow truck driver =( this is the "good" side, other side is cracked and all kinds of messed up

rear apron is bent out of shape, driver side clips are broken and not alligned, same with the bumper on that side. When the driver raised the car up, he drove forward dragging the rear along the pavement. Behind the rear apron the metal valance is bent to shit and deformed. Sask. plates are still on it, they look cool but BC does it better

the car has obviously been living under a tree. Pine needles and leaves EVERYWHERE. No leaks though and surprisingly only 1 small surface rust patch. PO left me some presents apparently?

did I mention it's a slicktop? with a black headliner? yeah i didn't know that either.

While hunting for rust, I started ripping out the interior (still working on it), and found a kenwood CD changer that looks to have been wired up by a 2 year old. Worst job i've ever seen.

driver side kenwood install. They used double sided tape + adheisive and just ruined the carpet.

Apparently they don't like gloveboxes up north

that's it for now, I'll get more pictures later when I wash it. Tomorrow I plan to finish pulling the interior, and start taking out the m20. Sorry for the shitty cell Pics, that's all I've got.
    Last edited by smerfs; 12-08-2012, 02:23 AM.
    320I - under construction

Amazing people don't research what they have. I'm pretty envious of that deal. Even for being in Canada. What a lucky guy. It's got all of its goodies on it too.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 12-08-2012, 03:22 AM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Why take off the badge? In Japan they came that way. I'm here currently and see plenty of them around. Talked to plenty of dealers and they were all ordered that way. Either way great find.
      Continuous For Sale Thread
      323i s50

Comment

Nice car, I saw it on Prince George Kijiji advertised as an m3 and chatted briefly with the owner, but couldn't make the logistics work. Glad to see it went to an enthusiast and will live on! Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Comment

you lucky bastard, $500 is steal.
          Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

What a great find! Looking forward to photos of this one cleaned up.

-'87 325 - ratbox swap http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...77#post3250277 << Check out my Wanted thread

Comment

$500?

» PARTS FOR SALE
              » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Lame tow driver. Should be bitch-slapped.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                  $500?

Yeah, but isn't $500 Canadian like $502 US? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by MoreMayhem View Post
                    Lame tow driver. Should be bitch-slapped.
                    +1. Flatbed or GTFO
                    » PARTS FOR SALE
                    » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

i hate you.... $500....

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                        +1. Flatbed or GTFO
                        company decided to take an f450 that had been totalled on the flat deck. Apparently my car wasn't worth doing a whole trip on a flat deck, and they decided to just dolly it the whole 600+ km trip...thankfully the tow was only $610, so it wasn't the worst thing ever, but I'm reluctant to pay because of the damage they caused.

Company is probably looking at about $1500 or so to repair the damage they caused...Mtech parts are all beyond repair and would need to be bought new + doing all the paint. Silly driver didn't give a shit about the car, probably the hardest thing I've had to watch

Comment

Ouch, they flat towed it?
                          How's that trans fluid looking?
                          Hopefully no issues with that.

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
                          function>form

Comment

driveshaft was disconnected by the previous owner because they towed it from Saskatchewan. Either way, auto trans is worthless to me at this point. It was just fun having to wash out all the snow and salt that collected in the car from being on the road =/

progress on the car is on hold for now since I'm waiting to get our 318is back from the insurance company. Once that happens, and we finish installing the new motor in our e46 it'll be full steam ahead
                            Last edited by smerfs; 12-09-2012, 02:00 AM.

Comment

There can never bee too many m-tech IIs on r3v Too bad about the valances. The tow truck driver was idiot, and I hope you are compensated. Nonetheless, a heluva deal.
                              sigpic
                              January 2012 COTM

Comment

Working...
                              X