r3v Welders - Heat Straightening Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^
    I think your onto something but 1450 seems high from few stress relief jobs I did several moons ago, on much "harder steel" think X70 grade Vs the Grade B or less that is your common mild steels.

But I think your correct by getting it into shape and holding it a closer to 950 for around 60-90 mins for a mild steel and a tapered cooling cycle of double your soak time would prolly work as well. Like I said I dont have any my references materials for this with me and I have only done a less than a handful or stress relief jobs. Its not my normal every day gig, but I have dabbled a little.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Hmmm...someone on craigslist has like 5000 fire bricks for sale on the cheap...time to make a large heat treatment kiln? lol

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Case hardening grades, method and process requirements for carbon steel. Case hardening processes harden only the exterior of the steel part, creating a hard, wear resistant skin (the

Comment

^
          Yes thats to temper and harden the steel, in this case all we want to do is get it to relax and return to more neutral state. Most steels lose 40-60% of their strength at 900-1000 degrees, hence why a longer soak time at that temp while held in desired position and cooled off incrementally as to not shock it. Should do the trick and not harden it to the point of being brittle, one of the wanted traits of mild steel. And then have to go back and anneal it anyway...... While none of this really matters in this case as its mostly just an exercise in "can I do this" and being overly brittle is not going to make a difference in this application.
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
            and being overly brittle is not going to make a difference in this application.
            I dunno man, if a stripper breaks a heel while dancing on the bar and comes down hard on it, I can't have the frame cracking on me.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
            X