Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chips

No, not the kind that go with salsa, although I prefer Tostitos Restaurant style...

I'm talking ECU tuning chips. Since I/we are in some fairly uncharted territory, with these hybrid M60B44 motors, I am wondering who knows anything about chips. I have seen it posted several times that Mark D'Sylva offers a chip for this hybrid setup, but when I spoke to him via email a few months ago, he didn't seem to have had any experience with it.What about the Miller WAR setup? It seems a write and rewrite-able setup would be a good way to go, since it could grow with the changes made to the motor. Who has had chip experience and with whom? Any info we can generate here will be helpful to all of us and to others down the road. I am in need of something to button this motor up and make it work as efficiently as possible... not that there is anything wrong, I have not even driven it more than 15mph yet... but I'm sure the stock 404 DME is not optimal for my setup and I am wondering if the OEM FPR is right, as well as the injectors. Input/insight is welcomed and encouraged...

Garey

I am still looking for feedback/experience in general from the hybrid M60B44 motor build.

Does anyone have one of these up and running?

That said, I am also interested in hearing about chip options, since it seems no factory ECU was ever made for this hybrid (obviously).

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
      I am still looking for feedback/experience in general from the hybrid M60B44 motor build.

Does anyone have one of these up and running?

That said, I am also interested in hearing about chip options, since it seems no factory ECU was ever made for this hybrid (obviously).
      Yup, mine is up and running and it's a true hybrid M60B44, not just an OBDI converted M62. This has an 01 M62TU block and rotating assembly with 94 M60B40 heads, timing covers, double row timing chain swap, M60B40 intake manifold, etc. Running off a stock 404 DME for now...

Garey

Comment

Tune it yourself?

I'm not sure if it will read the chip or not, but if it did you can use your stock chip as a starting point. Then just keep playing around until your happy with it.
        sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
          Yup, mine is up and running and it's a true hybrid M60B44, not just an OBDI converted M62. This has an 01 M62TU block and rotating assembly with 94 M60B40 heads, timing covers, double row timing chain swap, M60B40 intake manifold, etc. Running off a stock 404 DME for now...

Garey
          man that is awesome. I will be stalking you now. I want to know how this motor turns out, especially dyno numbers, if you ever get around to doing that.

Comment

I can't help with the hybrid engine, but for those looking for a basic m60b40 chip, I got mine from a guy on bimmerforums who makes and sells them. His username is DUDMD.
            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
            e30 restoration and V8 swap
            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

For a hybrid setup (e.g. not a stock application), I would consider the WAR chip, by the guys at Miller performance in Canada. This is a ROM emulator, plugging in place of whatever EPROM chip is in the DME. They've also tuned a few 540's, so I would imagine that they have a starting point for a calibration. Otherwise, you would need to build your fuel/spark tables from scratch, which is not the end of the world, but will require more time and instrumentation. I believe that the WAR system allows you to switch between 2 or 3 calibrations very quickly. So, you could go from a street fuel or economy tune, to a race-fuel aggressive tune rather easily. This is a path I may ultimately follow, especially if there are any internal engine changes in the future (but, of course there will be :-) ).

If you want to become a software engineer, buying the rom reader/burners is an option. But keep in mind, you will still need to reverse engineer the location of critical fuel/spark locations in memory, and then deduce how the values are scaled/interpreted/manipulated, to come up with ultimately an injector pulse-width, among other things.

Also, assuming similar BSFC for the hybrid engine setup, you could try scaling up fuel pressure a bit on a stock chip. This could lead to poor idle and partial drivability though, depending on how much the DME can trim things out during closed-loop operation. Given that an M60B44 could have a full point more compression, spark advance could be an issue as well.

-Bruce

Comment

After some recent research, I think the WAR chip is the way to go too, Bruce. The piece is well engineered, seems to be pretty damn user friendly and you can save 4 tunes to the chip and switch between them on the fly, which is pretty trick. Plus you can re-write the maps an infinite number of times, so how does this not end up in everyone's car? Seems like a no-brainer to me...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                  After some recent research, I think the WAR chip is the way to go too, Bruce. The piece is well engineered, seems to be pretty damn user friendly and you can save 4 tunes to the chip and switch between them on the fly, which is pretty trick. Plus you can re-write the maps an infinite number of times, so how does this not end up in everyone's car? Seems like a no-brainer to me...

Garey
                  ^---This
                  sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
                  The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

They have not yet managed to implement a top-speed delete feature, which is an issue for race cars on big tracks. Otherwise, I would have been all over this solution a year ago. I still might do it, and simply divide the pulses coming from the diff.

-Bruce

Comment

For the cost, MS3 seems to be more powerful and flexible with the downside of having to tune it yourself.

M60 turbo running MS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAdHc9tqqJY

Not affiliated, just thinking of other options. YMMV.
                      Last edited by senorcarey; 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM.

Comment

^^^ Holy balls. That is all.

Comment

Working...
                        X