Flywheel bolts WTF!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flywheel bolts WTF!!!

What torx socket size are the E39 M62 flywheel bolts?

I loosely installed my flywheel over a year ago (for mock up) and I used a regular T55 torx socket just to hand start the bolts to the crank.

I bought a long shanked T60 socket and it didn't fit into the stupid holes. F**K

I bought a second T60 socket with a round shank, it took 9 days to arrive. It fit well into the holes. YEAH!!! The torx end did not fit into the bolt heads. Double F**K

Now I ordered a T55 round shanked sockets which will take another 9 days to arrive. Will this work??

Do some flywheels have T55 bolts and others T60? Why does BMW hate me??

i had the same problem lol.... from what i learned the older m60b30 used the t55 and after that they started using the t60 torx on the m60b40/m62, i also bought both and stripped my t55 torx so good luck!

Comment

There is a special tool for those bolts... check ebay for stahlwille M60 flywheel socket. They're not cheap, but it's one of those "right tool for the job" kind of things. Can't speak to using a regular torx, since I have only ever used the right one. Hope this helps...

Garey

Comment

I am about to run into this problem myself. It doesn't appear that the flywheel bolts can even be extracted from the flywheel, they look like they won't fit past the sheet metal plate that's causing all the problems in the first place.

so... '01 540i, that means T60 torx?

Oh and the bit needs to be male, does that make it a "socket"?

Comment

Just buy the damn socket, lol! Here's a link...

Not too pricey...

Garey

Comment

So after doing some more research the flywheel bolts are 99% chance of being a T60 head. What happens is the holes in the flywheel may note line up with the head of the bolts properly. The smaller shank diameter of the BMW tools allows for this misalignment. The smaller T55 is commonly misused in this case to compensate for the misalignment (but the risk to stripping the head of a bolt is huge).

Of course with my amazing luck the "cheap" BMW tool that Garey posted a link to won't ship to Canada and the only E Bay vendor willing to ship to Canada wants $80 per tool.

My plan is to take one of my 2 T60 sockets I have to work and see if they can lathe the center of the shank down, but I'm not optimistic because these are hardened tool steel.

Plan B contact the "cheaper" E Bay vendor and negotiate shipping a tool to Canada.

Comment

FYI, if you strip a flywheel bolt, the entire flywheel is trash. They aren't removable, and aren't available separately.

Pelican Parts has the tool for $42, and they ship to Canada.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

why the heck can't BMW just make their stuff user friendly like they used to? why can't we just have good ol' hex removable flywheel bolts??

Comment

M60/62 flywheel

I've finally caught a break. It turns out that buying a cheap T60 socket at TSC worked out well. The tool and die tech was easily able to turn down the shank of the socket to 8mm same as the BMW tool. It worked like a charm. :grin:

For all that search this here is the conclusion...

- The best tool by far to tighten or loosen your V8 flywheel bolts is the BMW specialty tool TOL-BMW3048
                  (just save yourself the time and effort and order this tool the second you even think about removing the flywheel)
                  - ALL E39 6 spd flywheels use T60 torx bolts not T55!
                  - If you really must use another T60 socket, the shank must be at least 36mm long and the diameter no larger then 13mm.
                  - Even if you find the above tool there is no guarantee that the tool will work because the holes in the clutch side on the flywheel do not perfectly align with the bolt heads. This is why people think the correct size is T55.
                  - If you are desperate, by a cheap T60 socket and have the shank turned down to 8mm diameter on a lathe just like the BMW tool. (a good socket may be difficult to turn on a lathe)

WHATEVER YOU DECIDE TO DO, BE CAREFUL, TAKE YOUR TIME, AND DO NOT CROSS THREAD OR STRIP THE BOLTS, THEY ARE NOT SERVICEABLE AND A NEW FLYWHEEL COSTS $480.

Don't be the guy in this link...

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by _JohnnyD_ View Post
                    holy crap! please, nobody be that guy. there isn't enough asbestos left in this world to protect you from the flaming that will ensue.
                    Originally posted by BillBrasky
                    That's like Vlad challenging Chip Foose to a car painting contest.
                    Originally posted by acolella76
                    i'm pretty sure 'Phillis' is short for syphilis
                    2007 CVPI, stock and slow
                    1994 tercel, 5efhe swap, i/h/e
                    1984 t-type, 5.3/th350 swap in progress

My newest addition:
                    Rebecca Arlene, born 4/19/2013

Comment

Originally posted by ieatpeople View Post
                      holy crap! please, nobody be that guy. there isn't enough asbestos left in this world to protect you from the flaming that will ensue.
                      All I can say is wow...

And he picks fights with Jon to boot, calling him Cinderella man, lol! Jon's E34 is sick and puts down BIG horsepower. He's been at the forefront of boosted M5x motors for years. This guy claims to do this for a living... hate to be one of his customers, lol!

WOW...

Garey

Comment

BMW tool

Just used the BMW tool to pull off the flywheel on my S62 project.

Wow... heavy MF.

Oddly enough, wasn't prepared for the offset torx issue as the M62 I worked on last year had a Dinan flywheel on it, and a more reasonable bolt set up.

Will absolutely be using some sort of lighter flywheel for the S62.
                        sigpic
                        Trying to make the world a better place, 6 TB at a time.
                        http://abloriginalparts.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X