M60 Swap: List of parts to take from donor car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 Swap: List of parts to take from donor car

So I looked around and I didn't see a thread for this specifically, and if there is one, mods please feel free to delete this one.

To swap an M60B40 from an E34 540i or E32 740i, what parts do I need to take from the donor before I send the entire car to the crusher?

My list so far:
    • M60B40/wiring/ECUs
    • Exhaust manifolds
    • Front half of driveshaft (if applicable)
    • Coolant reservoir and related hoses
    • Throttle cable
    • Diagnostic port mounting hardware
    • Manual trans/slave cyl/flywheel/clutch (if applicable)
    • Remote brake booster and all bracketry/reservoirs
    • Brake calipers, lines, pads, and rotors (if swapping to an E28, like I am)

Is there anything else? I just want to make sure I get EVERYTHING I need before the car is gone for good.
    Last edited by iamsam; 05-31-2012, 11:08 PM.

Uh oh... you have caught the sickness for real, haven't you, lol?

Accelerator cable and diagnostic port mounting clip come to mind, since I didn't grab these from my donor car... I'm sure there are more I'll think of...

Garey

Comment

The trailing arms will bolt up as well, as the 740 trailing arms have the roller bearings instead of bushings. I don't believe the 540s have these.

I have this set-up attached to an E28 subframe in my E3.

See if the diff is an LSD. Really, grab as much stuff as you can that you might be able to turn a profit on.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
        Uh oh... you have caught the sickness for real, haven't you, lol?

Accelerator cable and diagnostic port mounting clip come to mind, since I didn't grab these from my donor car... I'm sure there are more I'll think of...

Garey
        I've had the sickness for a while now! And I have had the donor car for a while also, but I only just now found time to pull the motor out of it. I have to scrap the donor quick though, I need to clear garage space for other cars (and engines)

Is there anything else I am missing in my list?

Comment

Originally posted by senorcarey View Post
          The trailing arms will bolt up as well, as the 740 trailing arms have the roller bearings instead of bushings. I don't believe the 540s have these.

I have this set-up attached to an E28 subframe in my E3.

See if the diff is an LSD. Really, grab as much stuff as you can that you might be able to turn a profit on.
          whoa, so the E32 rear trailing arms have the same exact geometry that the E28 ones do??

Unfortunately, the diff is open. Either that, or a really dead LSD. Does an E32 diff mount to an E28? is an E32 rear subframe the same as an E28 (since the arms are)?

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
            whoa, so the E32 rear trailing arms have the same exact geometry that the E28 ones do??

Unfortunately, the diff is open. Either that, or a really dead LSD. Does an E32 diff mount to an E28? is an E32 rear subframe the same as an E28 (since the arms are)?
            The E32 arms do have the same geometry, but the hubs have different spacing which gives it a slightly wider track by about 8mm/side, if I remember correctly. Not an issue on my car, but can be on a space challenged E28.

I'm pretty sure the subframes are different between the E32 and E34 and I know that both are different than the E28.

Comment

Originally posted by senorcarey View Post
              The E32 arms do have the same geometry, but the hubs have different spacing which gives it a slightly wider track by about 8mm/side, if I remember correctly. Not an issue on my car, but can be on a space challenged E28.

I'm pretty sure the subframes are different between the E32 and E34 and I know that both are different than the E28.
              It seems like E38 style 5s with 225/50/16 rubber can stand to move out another 8mm with minimal issue. Maybe fender rolling will be required, though.

Comment

Yeah, those are et23 if I remember correctly. I was running a staggered set of Style 32s (et26 17x9) with 255/40/17 and they still had plenty of room. I am on Style 9s (et15 16x7.5) now with 205/55/16 and they fit about the same. It's the front where I am spatially challenged.

I should mention that I believe the trailing arm part number is the same for E32 740/750 and E34 M5. It is still a bolt up to the E28 subframe, though.

Comment

^^ very good information.

Comment

Exhaust manifolds?
                    Front part of the driveshaft or the whole driveshaft so you have something to work with / modify?

Complete engine/tranny is a good start.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

^^ I totally missed that. Added to list.

Comment

Coolant reservoir and the strange hoses that lead to it. I recall using/modifying at least one of those hoses to complete my cooling circuit.

You'd also want the DME (ECU).

-Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BruceBe View Post
                          Coolant reservoir and the strange hoses that lead to it. I recall using/modifying at least one of those hoses to complete my cooling circuit.

You'd also want the DME (ECU).

-Bruce
                          G'day, Bruce! Good call on the coolant bits.

Comment

So, what about steering parts? What power steering lines need to be transferred over? I am assuming the PS pump orientation on the M60 is not exactly the same as on a stock M20... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                              So, what about steering parts? What power steering lines need to be transferred over? I am assuming the PS pump orientation on the M60 is not exactly the same as on a stock M20... ;)
                              None of the lines will be needed from the donor car. You can re-use your feed and return lines, most of use have had a custom pressure line made. Those are the only 3 lines you need. Most NAPA's can make up hydraulic lines to your specs...

Garey

Comment

Working...
                              X