What Drone Program ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Drone Program ?????

Gibbs has come out recently and said he was specifically told to never acknowledge any drone program domestic or foreign.

Then we have this coming from C-Net, 1984 here we are it seems scary shit people.

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

Originally posted by article
    The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has customized its Predator drones, originally built for overseas military operations, to carry out at-home surveillance tasks that have civil libertarians worried: identifying civilians carrying guns and tracking their cell phones, government documents show.

The documents provide more details about the surveillance capabilities of the department's unmanned Predator B drones, which are primarily used to patrol the United States' northern and southern borders but have been pressed into service on behalf of a growing number of law enforcement agencies including the FBI, the Secret Service, the Texas Rangers, and local police.

Homeland Security's specifications for its drones, built by San Diego-based General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, say they "shall be capable of identifying a standing human being at night as likely armed or not," meaning carrying a shotgun or rifle. They also specify "signals interception" technology that can capture communications in the frequency ranges used by mobile phones, and "direction finding" technology that can identify the locations of mobile devices or two-way radios.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center obtained a partially redacted copy of Homeland Security's requirements for its drone fleet through the Freedom of Information Act and published it this week. CNET unearthed an unredacted copy of the requirements that provides additional information about the aircraft's surveillance capabilities.

Concern about domestic use of drones is growing, with federal legislation introduced last month that would establish legal safeguards, in addition to parallel efforts underway from state and local lawmakers. The Federal Aviation Administration recently said that it will "address privacy-related data collection" by drones.

The prospect of identifying armed Americans concerns Second Amendment advocates, who say that technology billed as securing the United States' land and maritime borders should not be used domestically. Michael Kostelnik, the Homeland Security official who created the program, told Congress that the drone fleet would be available to "respond to emergency missions across the country," and a Predator drone was dispatched to the tiny town of Lakota, N.D., to aid local police in a dispute that began with reimbursement for feeding six cows. The defendant, arrested with the help of Predator surveillance, lost a preliminary bid to dismiss the charges.

"I am very concerned that this technology will be used against law-abiding American firearms owners," says Alan Gottlieb, founder and executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation. "This could violate Fourth Amendment rights as well as Second Amendment rights."

Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection agency declined to answer questions about whether direction-finding technology is currently in use on its drone fleet. A representative provided CNET with a statement about the agency's unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) that said signals interception capability is not currently used:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection is not deploying signals interception capabilities on its UAS fleet. Any potential deployment of such technology in the future would be implemented in full consideration of civil rights, civil liberties, and privacy interests and in a manner consistent with the law and long-standing law enforcement practices.

CBP's UAS program is a vital border security asset. Equipped with state-of-the-art sensors and day-and-night cameras, the UAS provides real-time images to frontline agents to more effectively and efficiently secure the nation's borders. As a force multiplier, the UAS operates for extended periods of time and allows CBP to safely conduct missions over tough-to-reach terrain. The UAS also provides agents on the ground with added situational awareness to more safely resolve dangerous situations.

During his appearance before the House Homeland Security committee, Kostelnik, a retired Air Force major general who recently left the agency, testified that the drones' direction-finding ability is part of a set of "DOD capabilities that are being tested or adopted by CBP to enhance UAS performance for homeland security." CBP currently has 10 Predator drones and is considering buying up to 14 more.

If the Predator drones were used only to identify smugglers or illegal immigrants crossing the Mexican and Canadian borders, or for disaster relief, they might not be especially controversial. But their use domestically by other government agencies has become routine enough -- and expensive enough -- that Homeland Security's inspector general said (PDF) last year that CBP needs to sign agreements "for reimbursement of expenses incurred fulfilling mission requests."

"The documents clearly evidence that the Department of Homeland Security is developing drones with signals interception technology and the capability to identify people on the ground," says Ginger McCall, director of the Open Government Project at the Electronic Privacy Information Center. "This allows for invasive surveillance, including potential communications surveillance, that could run afoul of federal privacy laws."

A Homeland Security official, who did not want to be identified by name, said the drones are able to identify whether movement on the ground comes from a human or an animal, but that they do not perform facial recognition. The official also said that because the unarmed drones have a long anticipated life span, the department tries to plan ahead for future uses to support its border security mission, and that aerial surveillance would comply with the Electronic Communications Privacy Act and other applicable federal laws.

The documents show that CBP specified that the "tracking accuracy should be sufficient to allow target designation," and the agency notes on its Web site that its Predator B series is capable of "targeting and weapons delivery" (the military version carries multiple 100-pound Hellfire missiles). CBP says, however, that its Predator aircraft are unarmed.

Gene Hoffman, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur who's the chairman of the Calguns Foundation, said CBP "needs to be very careful with attempts to identify armed individuals in the border area" when aerial surveillance touches on a constitutional right.

"In the border area of California and Arizona, it may be actively dangerous for the law-abiding to not carry firearms precisely due to the illegal flow of drugs and immigrants across the border in those areas," Hoffman says.

CBP's specifications say that signals interception and direction-finding technology must work from 30MHz to 3GHz in the radio spectrum. That sweeps in the GSM and CDMA frequencies used by mobile phones, which are in the 300MHz to 2.7GHz range, as well as many two-way radios.

The specifications say: "The system shall provide automatic and manual DF of multiple signals simultaneously. Automatic DF should be able to separate out individual communication links." Automated direction-finding for cell phones has become an off-the-shelf technology: one company sells a unit that its literature says is "capable of taking the bearing of every mobile phone active in a channel."

Although CBP's unmanned Predator aircraft are commonly called drones, they're remotely piloted by FAA-licensed operators on the ground. They can fly for up to 20 hours and carry a payload of about 500 lbs.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Living in San Diego, I knew a lot of Christians working on the drone program. How patriotic huh?

Comment

I dont think most people quite understand the implications of this program, for as long as I can remember there seems to be this attitude in general "that I am not doing anything wrong, I have nothing to fear, I dont care" in nearly every one. I can remember in school when we told by the "resource cop" that it was ok for the police to ask to look around and if you weren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about and should bow to their will if asked. That was elementary school in the mid 80's when I was in 1st -3rd grades.
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
        most people...
        are stupid.

Comment

Oh goodie now we have Holder coming out and saying Drone Kill Missions on US citizens on US soil, are hypothetically LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serioulsy WTF is going one here...... No trial, no Due Process no fucking nothing just an assassination at the whim of the Executives definition of "Necessity". While citing PEARL FUCKING HARBOR a military attack form a hostile foreign power.

Originally posted by article
          WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration believes it could technically use military force to kill an American on U.S. soil in an "extraordinary circumstance" but has "no intention of doing so," U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in a letter disclosed Tuesday.

Holder's March 4 letter was disclosed by Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who had asked whether the Justice Department believed President Barack Obama had the legal authority to order a targeted strike against an American citizen located within the United States.

The Obama administration, Holder said, rejected the use of military force where "well-established law enforcement authorities in this country provide the best means for incapacitating a terrorist threat." But in theory, it'd be legal for the president to order such an attack under certain circumstances, Holder said.

"The question you have posed is therefore entirely hypothetical, unlikely to occur, and one we hope no president will ever have to confront. It is possible, I suppose, to imagine an extraordinary circumstance in which it would be necessary and appropriate under the Constitution and applicable laws of the United States for the President to authorize the military to use lethal force within the territory of the United States," Holder wrote.

"For example, the president could conceivably have no choice but to authorize the military to use such force if necessary to protect the homeland in the circumstances like a catastrophic attack like the ones suffered on December 7, 1941, and September 11, 2001," Holder continued, referring to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. Holder said he would "examine the particular facts and circumstances" if such an emergency were to arise.

Paul, who had threatened to filibuster the nomination of John Brennan as CIA director over secrecy about the U.S. drone program, said in a statement that Holder's "refusal to rule out the possibility of drone strikes on American citizens and on American soil is more than frightening -- it is an affront the Constitutional due process rights of all Americans." Holder's letter was first reported by Adam Serwer of Mother Jones.

Holder is scheduled to appear before the Senate Judiciary Committee for a Justice Department oversight hearing on Wednesday morning. Earlier in the day, members of the Senate Intelligence Committee said the administration had agreed to allow members of the committee to see all of the Office of Legal Counsel memos relating to the targeted killing of American citizens.
          Last edited by mrsleeve; 03-06-2013, 01:11 AM.

William Pitt-

Comment

I'm glad there's are people more articulate than myself spreading this information publicly. I don't claim to be a scholar but if were myself trying to make a post like this I would be dismissed immediately by the grammar police.

Keep it up! You don't have to change everybodys minds, you just have to get them thinking.
            Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
            I'm cooler in person.

Comment

LOL well thanks but you have not read too many of my posts have you, I have decent sentence structure but terrible punctuation and my spelling has never been my strong point, I have to rely way too much on my spell check plug in.

William Pitt-

Comment

Came here to post that, not surprised you beat me to it, sleeve :P

The thing about drones is, they're unmanned. If you can take one out without getting caught, no guilt.

Before any of you argue with me, read some Thoreau.
                past:
                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:
                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

The unmanned thing is a double edged sword, yes no harm no foul if you are lucky enough to knock one down with out getting found out (hard to do with High Def cameras that can read the text message your typing on your cell phone form 10 miles away, and full of sensors to that can tell if your armed or not) . But it also means you can have someone in Bulgaria actually piloting the thing that will have no hesitation no connection, no remorse, no 2ed guessing of completing the mission on a fellow US citizen.

William Pitt-

Comment

Yeah... It is a big "if" I said there.

But I watched a docu on Ai WeiWei before I got pissed off and left the house tonight.

Seeing what that dude has done in defiance of a REAL totalitarian/surveillance state, not the first half-assed attempt at one that's being put together here over the past decade and a half- with "shit just got real" consequences, just because you said something; it doesn't really leave me with a lot of excuses as to "why I couldn't do that".

That guy's got balls that absolutely zero of us could hope to compare to.
                    Last edited by decay; 03-06-2013, 02:11 AM.
                    past:
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:

Comment

For being a 'free' country we're quite 'totalitarian' enough for my likes. Thank god we've had entire generations being brain washed to liking to kill people, without consequences, on little screens.

Comment

I'm just curious to weather or not Super Hackers "anonymous" could take one of these drones down. Don't forget that we have had one drone already "hacked" in mid flight not too long ago. If they could they may just be sitting on the knowlege. Doing so to prove a point at this stage would be to risky to get caught and waste the knowledge and man power if the govt were to track the hijacker down.

I'm cooler in person.

Comment

But that would put belief in that anonymous has some sort of structure. I'm still not convinced, as if I'm correct anyone can be a part of anonymous.

I'm cooler in person.

Comment

it's really all quite amazing we've allowed things to go this far with our elected officials
                            drones killing americans judged to be worthy of assasination without a trial jury
                            and how about google reviewing all emails, or the justice/nsa doing the same
                            and obama and the government wonder why gun/ammo sales have gone thru the
                            roof

/shakes head
                            “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                            Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by ajackz View Post
                              But that would put belief in that anonymous has some sort of structure. I'm still not convinced, as if I'm correct anyone can be a part of anonymous.

It does, of a sort. Google "anonops" for a starter.
                              past:
                              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                              1985 323i baur
                              current:

Comment

Working...
                              X