No announcement yet.

New e30 member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, good luck on that one. That's not a good spot to get hit. Don't start thinking about performance at this point, get it fixed and then worry about that. And don't dump too much into fixing it just yet, I'd actually suggest having a body shop that you can trust check it out to see what it actually needs to get back in good driving condition.

$800 sounds high to me for that car, but You could make that up in parts probably fairly easily, so that's no big deal.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PeteD View Post
      That looks fixable. The wheel/trailing arm doesn't look like it was impacted at all. I bet the subframe is straight. Of course I'm basing this off of one picture, so who knows.

You doing this work yourself? One of the "while you're in there" items would be a new rear bumper, upgraded that is.
      Yeah I am doing the work myself with a couple of my bodies. I'm actually starting the project in about 2-3 weeks.

Comment

Coming from owning a car with a quarterpanel dent nearly 1/5 the size of that, I would have to say I would part that car. Its sad but true. Like what was said, odds are it could have messed w/ the rear axle and such and can throw off thrust angles and all sorts of alignment issues. For my car, It cuold be saved cutting out the kink in the metal and then rewelding, but yours goes all the wat up to the trunk and such.

You could daily it for a bit, then get a shell and swap all internals over. You can get a shell <1k, and wouldnt be too bad.

Comment

Safety first:
          How is the alignment?
          How are the brakes?
          Rear lights still operable?
          Fuel filler & tank OK?
          After that, strap the trunk lid down and drive it.

Depending on how deep and extensive the damage is, you may not ever recover to a 'near perfect' car. As was said, don't be over eager and dump bunches of cash into it until you know how far down that slippery slope goes.

Make sure it's safe, drive it, enjoy it. It's a perfect opportunity to try your hand at body work. You could only make it look better.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveJ View Post
            Safety first:
            How is the alignment?
            How are the brakes?
            Rear lights still operable?
            Fuel filler & tank OK?
            After that, strap the trunk lid down and drive it.
            No damage on alignment and brakes the rear lights are working and the tank is not touched the car is working fine i just have to change the quarter.

Comment

wow!! its been a while i got on r3v :S i'm not really a picture guy but i just wanted to show you guys what happen to my e30/
              [IMG][/IMG]

and this is a pic fro laast summer :D
              [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

That rear end certainly looks better... what did you end up doing and more importantly, what did it cost you?
                Estoguy
                1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Damn dude, its not often you see a story like this on r3v actually get done.
                  My Garage
                  2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                  1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                  1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                  Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Is that a fold on the drivers quarter panel? If so that means the force from the damage on the opposite side created that.. Hard hit.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

.. OP Delivered

Awesome

Comment

E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

Comment

Working...
                        X