Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on removing numbers after track day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who gives a fuck if some douchebag judges your car b/c there are numbers on the side of it. It's a track rat. Do it if you feel like it? If you're worried about law enforcement, then you're doing something stupid on public roads. Im not condoning it, b/c I think it looks stupid. I think you should check your self-esteem if you're worried about what some random guy thinks while he drives past you for 3-10 seconds.

Originally posted by Ryan...
    It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

really?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon12V View Post
        Who gives a fuck if some douchebag judges your car b/c there are numbers on the side of it. It's a track rat. Do it if you feel like it?
        This is how I've mostly lived my life. With the exception of offending people, but these numbers shouldn't offend anyone.

If you're worried about law enforcement, then you're doing something stupid on public roads.
        Not really. It's a small town where I live, I've been in two different cars that were pulled over on a Friday night for "Crossing the yellow line" when I knew they hadn't because I knew it was a cop behind us. A quick flashlight in the eyes though and we were let go. Even if there are no legal repercussions, I'd rather not be hassled.

And, there could be legal repercussions. I know that there are laws about driver visibility that are somewhat at a cops digression. Even though I know the numbers do not block anything important when placed on my windshield at my driving height, an officer may not see it my way (figuratively & literally).

Also, while police officers are not supposed to be judge and jury, they do have the ability to cut a person some slack depending on the circumstances of the violation. I can't help but think that "racing numbers" on my windshield wouldn't influence an officers perception of the "situation".

All that to say that I disagree that taking the law into account means I'm doing something stupid on a public road :)

Im not condoning it, b/c I think it looks stupid.
        I think you should check your self-esteem if you're worried about what some random guy thinks while he drives past you for 3-10 seconds.
        Than you'll be happy to know that I took them off last week! :)
        Not that I care if you're happy with it or not, because my self esteem is high enough to not give a shit :pimp:
        -------------------------------------------------
        1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
        2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Originally posted by Earendil View Post
          Simple question:

Do you, or would you, remove your assigned HPDE number from your car before leaving the track? And why?

In a combination of forgetfulness and laziness, I have yet to remove mine. I've found that people use it as a conversation starter when they see it. I've talked more about my E30 in the last month than I have in the last year (r3v doesn't count).

So far, I seem to be experiencing the positives. Any negatives? Has anyone been given more crap from a cop because of it? Anyone had a cop claim that it was obstructing vision? Do the experienced believe people that leave their numbers on are nooblets? :)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up taking the numbers off last week while cleaning my car. They were indeed a bitch to get off, and I ended up splinting off a couple dozen different microscopic pieces before I had a bright idea. Turns out 10 seconds with a heat gun and they rolled right off. A tiny bit of soapy water and a rag pulled off any residue.

Feel free to continue discussing the topic, but fyi I've already enacted on my conclusion :)

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

then why did you make this thread?
            -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
            -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
            MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
            Got Drop?? ;-)
            Originally posted by JinormusJ
            But of course
            E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
              then why did you make this thread?
              Because the answers and ensuing discussion influenced my decision. Why do YOU ask?

sigpic

Comment

They give out nice vinyl stickers at the Mustang Club events here in Nashville. My first time running an event there I was given R129. I like the number, so I kept it on the windshield. It makes the car go faster when I drive it on the dragon

Comment

I take mine off because I'm not at the track.

Comment

Those numbers just make people look like douches.

I love seeing integras roll around with a 14.9 second time drawn on their back window.

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
                    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
                    And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Comment

numbers

I use static cling numbers on the lower horizontal surface of the rear quarter windows. I dont think they have been off in 5 yrs....

I figure , WHO CARES?...I mean really?...

I drive to /fro my DE events responsibly. A cop couldnt care less , if you are driving w/in reason. As a matter of fact I was once stopped in the track car while on the phone....and when he saw it was set up for track he became much more amicable.

Would some consider it boy racer?....perhaps...but I really couldnt care less.

I guess it maKES sense to be under the radar for sure........

gun to my head it does make most sense to remove the numbers....

if I ran w/ blue tape like so many, Id def take it off!
                      I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I have driven cars around with stickers/numbers all over them and received nothing but positive comments, started conversations with strangers about SCCA events. The police do not hassle me and in fact I have been approached by police / firefighters who are into cars outside restaurants and told them about the local SCCA and how to get into autocross. Nothing but positive vibes from the majority of people. Most of the people who give me a hard time are fellow autocrossers who suggest I should buy a tow rig.

Yes it will get you extra attention from people, but unless you really are a ricer yourself you will not be viewed as one. Most people will not even notice or give a shit what you have on your car. Most car people will respect that you are promoting competition in a safe environment. In fact we enjoy promoting the club and what we enjoy doing so much that we intentionally sticker up our cars more for road trips. It doesn't matter if you have stickers on it or not, typically even on TSD rallys I am one of, or the only e30 participating. Cops are not blind and dumb, they will identify you and your car with or without numbers on it.

Once we had a flat and were behind a long line of people at a tire shop on a Sunday in the south. We talked to one of the managers, turns out he is into autocross and after he saw our car he was happy to help us on our way.

Comment

Ugh. See, the thing is, real track-tards can spot another track-tard a mile away. If you have to leave your HPDE numbers on the car to be recognized as such, then you are posing. I remember going to Alex Schipkov's (sp?) shop a couple years back and being able to spot him in a whole mess of cars merely because of how he was driving. Eventually, you won't want to deal with the "unwashed heathens" as Charlie so eloquently put it, so you take those numbers off ASAP.

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
                          Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
                          Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Originally posted by Skafrog View Post
                            If you have to leave your HPDE numbers on the car to be recognized as such, then you are posing.
                            The conversations I was striking up were not with other track people, but engineers. I work at an engineering company and have had great conversations with people who dream of being on a track but watch Top Gear instead. They have usually been interested in the very few stories I have. Also, I'm on the software side of this engineering company, the mechanical/electrical/aero don't peg me as the kind of guy that would be into cars.

So, maybe the rest of you know enough track people, have to deal with "posers", and have enough E30 buddies around to shoot the breeze with. I don't so much, and enjoyed being able to talk about my car with people in the real world ;-)

But, I think everyone in the vicinity has caught on to my car, and thus the numbers are off. I don't care to attract cops or ricers.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skafrog View Post
                              Eventually, you won't want to deal with the "unwashed heathens" as Charlie so eloquently put it, so you take those numbers off ASAP.
                              Of course, spend the $40 and get some decent magnetic vinyl printed. Or just get some of the big ass SCCA banners to put on your windshield.

There are guys who only do HPDE's and they are the ones who give me the most shit, but hey, who is the guy spending money on hoohoo's to go do parade laps with their buddies?

Comment

I put my numbers on the roof so the helicopters can spot me easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X