Rare transmission??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare transmission??

Hello, so I have a auto tragic transmission with the not so standard PNRDS21 from what I can tell is that S makes 3rd the highest gear and lets the engine rev more.

it's the 4HP22EH. Is it a gray market car?

The transmission is physically the same but it has a sort of proto-sport mode (the 'S'). It's not all that much different from putting the regular 4HP22 in '3' or manually shifting it - it's kind of cool in that they aren't seen very often in US E30s, but I wouldn't say it was desirable as usually people don't want the auto trans in an E30 to begin with.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

and they are not super rare. I have had a few e30s like that, mostly 86, 87 years and on eta cars

Comment

From what I have seen it has an electronic transmission controller which was not common in e30s.

Comment

You could replace the stock controller with an aftermarket unit that would allow push-button or paddle shifting.

Comment

The 4HP22 is too slow and the drivetrain loss too high for that to be worth it. Paddle shifted autos are lame even on newer cars, IMO.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I found this: https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknF...ies_(E30).html
              Automatic transmissions
              Both automatic transmissions were manufactured by ZF - they were the 3-speed 3 HP 22, which was available on the M10 316 and 318i models until year 1985, and the 4-speed 4 HP 22, which was available on all models later. 320i and 325i have the option of the sport automatic, that was an electronic box rather than the usual fully mechanical box. This is much less common to find in USA than Euro market cars, though it is still fairly uncommon in Euro market cars too.

Comment

Working...
              X