No announcement yet.

Renting an FR-S Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's next on the list. First on the list was actually making the car run reliably.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
      ^Haha. Dude, couldn't you find a bigger pic?
      The point had to be made.
      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I think an e30 is one of the most confidence inspiring cars to drive, when properly sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
          *Full disclosure: my E30 has worn, stock suspension, which is sure to diminish the handling somewhat, so it's hard to compare driving dynamics.
          Replacing the shocks, springs, mounts, tie rods, steering rack, control arms, sway-bar bushings, etc will be a HUGE improvement in your E30. Seriously it seems like a lot of money when you're buying the parts but it really is a night/day difference. Really not fair to compare a car with a 30 year old suspension to a car with a new suspension.

I haven't driven an FR-S but have checked out a few. They seem kind of ugly and cheap. Nicely engineered for drivers as far as new cars go. I'm sure they're more fun to drive than most cars in the price range.

I'm skeptical due to experience with Toyotas if they will be any good after 30 years and >350k miles. Everything will probably oxidize and start to fall apart after 10 years. jmo.

Comment

I rented a FR-S/BRZ/GT86 once... it was fun

They are affordable new cars for enthusiasts (who want a warranty and don't need power to have a good time). If you keep them wound up then they can be quick, but they are no dragster. Even if they are low on power by today's standards, they still are about the same weight as an E30 325is with more power (albeit less torque).

I considered getting one but ended up with an E36 M3 for a lot less $ and with more power, more tire, double the doors, and a wealth of parts cars out in the market. Sure, it is slightly heavier but 20% more power and 50% more torque can make up for that. I miss having a street E30 sometimes, it just encompasses you in the experience but I also like higher capability of the E36, even if all the interior panels squeak.

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
            I would not like lending my Brother my car forget renting to a stranger.
            I know someone who rents out their R8... has not had good luck so far and I would be
            Attached Files
            Last edited by rwh11385; 05-07-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

The attitude ITT is why cars like the FRZ will stop showing up.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                The attitude ITT is why cars like the FRZ will stop showing up.

That will be a sad day.

Letter in Roundel this month from a long time BMW owner who just bought a new BRZ. He didn't like any of the new BMWs. Found the BRZ to be the closest thing to an E30/E36.

I hadn't considered it before, but I can see his point.
                1991 318iC
                1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Aside from the higher price of entry (that may change as E30s continue to appreciate in value and used Toyobarus depreciate), I would consider an FRS or BRZ someday as a modern day E30 alternative. This car, like the E30, is a great platform to build up to your liking. Some of us here have no issue with dropping over a grand on coilovers.....one could do the same on a Toyobaru to sort out handling issues. Ditto for wheels/tires. Now if you crave more performance, Kraftwerks or Jackson Racing have supercharger kits for under $5k for the FRS/BRZ which really gives it some punch. Some folks will spend that much sorting out a twin-cam swap for an E30.

Jon
                  Last edited by Jon325i; 05-08-2017, 10:20 AM.
                  Rides...
                  1991 325i - sold :(
                  2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

N2start Miata vs FRS.

GO.
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I've driven one. For a stock car I guess it was okay but I really didn't get what the hype is about. I don't think the handling was anywhere near as good as the automotive journos made it seem.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
                        I've driven one. For a stock car I guess it was okay but I really didn't get what the hype is about. I don't think the handling was anywhere near as good as the automotive journos made it seem.
                        I guess most of the auto journos are used to testing Buick's and pickup trucks so the FRS might have been a refreshing test to them.
                        Steve • Toronto
                        1991 318is • Brillantrot
                        Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
                          I mean its no stock E30 on 185s.
                          1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

I've autocrossed an FRS and it was the most horrible handling thing ever. The front end wanted to push, the rear wanted to step. That was with the traction control on, with the traction control off, it was far less than confidence inspiring. It would snap oversteer the second you touched the power in a corner. The car was poorly balanced, felt numb, and had zero grip. I found the grip issue odd since it was on Hankook RS-3s, and I know those are fantastic tires. Yes, the car felt cheap, and visibility out of it was limited, especially to the rear. If given the choice to buy a new FRS/BRZ or a really nice E30, I'll go for the E30 every time. It just feels like a better built car across the board.

Will
                            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                              I've autocrossed an FRS and it was the most horrible handling thing ever. The front end wanted to push, the rear wanted to step. That was with the traction control on, with the traction control off, it was far less than confidence inspiring. It would snap oversteer the second you touched the power in a corner. The car was poorly balanced, felt numb, and had zero grip. I found the grip issue odd since it was on Hankook RS-3s, and I know those are fantastic tires. Yes, the car felt cheap, and visibility out of it was limited, especially to the rear. If given the choice to buy a new FRS/BRZ or a really nice E30, I'll go for the E30 every time. It just feels like a better built car across the board.

Will
                              To be fair, I'd read Toyota set their car up to rotate and Subaru set theirs up to push. No experience, just throwing it out there. But happy to get some experience if someone wants to help :D

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                                To be fair, I'd read Toyota set their car up to rotate and Subaru set theirs up to push. No experience, just throwing it out there. But happy to get some experience if someone wants to help :D
                                Well, the back end wanted to rotate, the front end just pushed. You can't manage either well. I like tail happy cars with instant turn in, but with the traction control off, it pushed at turn in, then went snap oversteer with zero warning. With traction control on, turn in felt ok, but then just when the back end started to rotate it would push. I've ridden in the Subi version and it felt much the same from the passenger seat.

Will
                                '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                                '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                                '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                                X