no more noise TENSIONER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no more noise TENSIONER

There are plenty of posts about noises the m42 makes. This is just a re-assuring post to those that have a similar noise/symptom and are debating on resolution.

1991 318is m42 (20w-50 oil).. 204kmi, machined head some 30kmi ago (previous owner) status of timing components unknown.

Symptom: If the car sat over night, the next morning the car would start up and run with a... knocking, clinking, diesel, chain, type sound. On acceleration the noise would also increase in frequency (was leaning towards a bad lifter). After 2-8 minutes the noise would go away completely.

Inspection: After researching on r3v and http://e30world.com/engine/BMW-E30-M...er-replacement i found that the timing chain tensioner was hydraulic. Reading into it, the part was upgraded (11 31 1 743 187). Pulled mine out to find the original design. It looked fine but decided i would spend the $40 to start with prior to the $360 to replace the timing system.

Conclusion: Soaked new tensionser in assembly lube, installed... (lots of noise increase rpms to build oil pressure) the noise is gone and the m42 runs quiet as it should.

After much research the best price i found was through my local CarQuest, also known as WorldPac.
    Last edited by Imperial88; 10-22-2012, 11:09 PM. Reason: add purchase info

thanks for sharing. this is on my list of maintenance parts.
    last time this was changed was 3 years ago, by the previous owner.

Comment

Where's the best place to buy the replacement tensioner?

Comment

blunttech
        -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Congratulations! This thread constitutes the 482nd time this topic has been covered in this sub forum.

Comment

is that a valid number of threads?...the 482, or are you whining because you decided to "waste" your time and reply to a thread that you had to click with your mouse?

Comment

Before this part was upgraded by BMW, you just had to buy the m44 e36 tensioner. It looks like BMW finally upgraded the m42 part number with the m44 part.
              Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
              BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

I 2nd the Chain tensioner noise elimination. I have noticed that after the chain tensioner that at cold start up I occasionally hear the noise... and when I have only a little gas and low quality gas. I also noticed after the tensioner that I need a new set of belts... a lot of whirring going on. I even thenk that the powersteering belt has slipped a couple of times, cause I will hear squeaking and lose powersteering temporarily.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X