Knocking m42 valvetrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At last !!
    Still not sure what the deal was. Maybe part of the chain was resting on the lip of a guide or something? Don't care now 'cause I nailed it.

Lifters quieted down after five minutes at idle.
    Was jumping up and down with happiness.

Bleeding coolant system as I type this..
    Mmmmm.. yummy quiet m42
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

So you think that was piston slap? Yikes.

I'd do a compression test ASAP. I'd be worried about bent valves or spurs on your pistons.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Cam sprockets at tdc:

Just after starting: (ticking)

After ~5 minutes at idle: (soft ticking)

Later on after full warm up cycle: (ticking? what ticking?)

Originally posted by KenC
        So you think that was piston slap? Yikes.
        I'd do a compression test ASAP. I'd be worried about bent valves or spurs on your pistons.
        Shit Ken – if it wasn’t the lifters making that noise – it was piston slap by default. When I had the head off, I did note dings on one of the pistons.. likely from whatever jackass mechanic set the timing and cams the way they were. I did do a compression test prior to pulling the head – and all cylinders were w/in 1-2 pounds of each other. Man – at this point, I am SICK of pulling the COP assembly off/on so many times – so I’m choosing to celebrate a quiet engine for now. Not sure a compression test would be worth while – wouldn’t a leak down test be more appropriate? I have a compression tester – but no leak down testing equipment.

In any event – I snuck the car two blocks to a nearby carwash, (first time I drove the car in over SIX YEARS !!!) and it ran fine. When backing out of garage, there was some hesitation – but that soon went away (Mark D chip was ‘learning’ maybe?).

Of course, I was romping on it at every opportunity. It wasn’t like the car did wheelies or anything – but it did feel very ‘peppy’ and spirited.

At slow speeds, with un-seated pads/rotors, and from getting wet at the carwash, it was easy to trigger ABS – so hopefully, I got the ‘burping’ out of the way.

Man – seeing the car on ground after being on stands for so long was crazy. When I opened the hood, it looked like the engine was clear down by my knees. Trippy. When I got the car back to the garage, I drank two bottles of Bell’s Oberon and just stared at it..

Need to mount splash guards, skid plate, bleed the ‘burped’ brakes, etc. then see about insurance and plates on Monday – then get it to a shop for tires & alignment.

Wow – what a journey.. today: rapture indeed.

Comment

Oh - and shit guys - big thanks to everyone who contributed input. It meant a lot to me.

Sorry about all the drama and fuckin' swearing..

Comment

Nice work Simon, way to keep at it.

Glad to hear you'll be back on the road soon! Rolling shots requested.

Comment

Now all we need is pics of it down on the ground and you romping on it!!!!!

Congrats, really happy that all is sorted man!
              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383
                Now all we need is pics of it down on the ground and you romping on it!!!!!
                Congrats, really happy that all is sorted man!
                Thank you !
                Here are some pics I took today - in the sunlight!

Yeah yeah, I know - more low and is lip - and holy shit, this car is screaming for wheels.. again - for now, I'm just going to celebrate that it's rolling.

Seeing it in the sunlight is changing how I feel about the color-matched bumper trim as well..

Looking forward to see how much the suspension settles after hanging for all those years.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                  Man – seeing the car on ground after being on stands for so long was crazy. When I opened the hood, it looked like the engine was clear down by my knees.
                  That's how I felt when I got mine down off the stands. I'd gotten so used to doing so much work in the bay with it up so high, when I lowered it down, it looked like the engine was on the floor.

Comment

I know right? lol

Comment

Nice Simon, glad you got it sorted out.

Need vids of you beating it like the red-headed stepchild that it is.
                      -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                        Oh - and shit guys - big thanks to everyone who contributed input. It meant a lot to me.

Sorry about all the drama and fuckin' swearing..

swearing and m42 go hand and hand. haha I have invented new cuss words working on them.

Good to hear its rolling.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                        Ig:ryno_pzk
                        I like the tuna here.
                        Originally posted by lambo
                        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Glad to see it running well! love the mud flaps all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug
                            swearing and m42 go hand and hand. haha I have invented new cuss words working on them.

Good to hear its rolling.
                            Ha! Thanks.
                            Glad to see the choo choo sig back..

In other news - I discovered corroded/leaking main brake hard line to rear.

I do have a bender - and I am good with it - but after looking over how it routes, plus all the corroded fasteners, I'm pretty sure the job is a great deal less than "fun".

Here are positive things I'm telling myself:
                            - the line itself is inexpensive.
                            - good thing it happened now instead of out on the road somewhere.
                            - I do have experience bending lines, and take pride in my skill.
                            - if I've overcome so many other challenges this car has thrown at me, I can overcome this one.
                            - if I can replace that line, I can do anything.

Comment

Posting in this thread so I can read and solve my tick...

Thanks for all the posts guys!

-Stay Tuned

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X