M42 running VERY loud (video), low oil pressure light is on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 running VERY loud (video), low oil pressure light is on

So I overheated my old engine and replaced it with a newer m42. I did an m20 flywheel/clutch swap, most gaskets (upper/lower oil pan, upper/lower intake, oil filter housing and O ring, valve cover) except the head and profile. I checked all the upper pan bolts and they're good and tight. I replaced the timing chain tensioner because the timing chain had just started to make noise (got the engine from a good friend). Cam gears look brand new. Didn't touch the guides.

So here's my problem. I start it up and it idles fine but I've run it for less than a minute total because it's loud as hell and I don't want to risk damaging anything in this engine that I've put so much work into. I hope the link below works, it's loud as fuck. My oil pressure light comes on and stays on. My guess is that the chain tensioner isn't getting oil so it isn't adequately tensioning the chain. A couple of the plug wires (3&4) weren't fully connected but that made no difference once I fixed it. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Vivek

The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Sounds like he chain tensioner isn't working. Do you have an oil pressure tester? Made sure you didn't block any passages when you replaced the gaskets?
    DENY IGNORANCE!
    Schwarz 325-totaled
    brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
    don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Did you check out / replace the oil pressure check valve that lives in the timing case? Parts 5-8.

If that is missing or seized, that would cause your issues. The original part was superseded with a different design because the original one would get stuck open.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by kwill22 View Post
        Sounds like he chain tensioner isn't working. Do you have an oil pressure tester? Made sure you didn't block any passages when you replaced the gaskets?
        I don't believe I did. I was cafeul on the upper oil pan gasket. The oil filter housing I didn't put any extra care into but I did it on a stand so my feeling is that I didn't mess it up. It would be leaking if the gasket was pinched or moved, right? Ill check that out, I'm not home right now.
        Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
        Did you check out / replace the oil pressure check valve that lives in the timing case? Parts 5-8.

If that is missing or seized, that would cause your issues. The original part was superseded with a different design because the original one would get stuck open.
        It was off a car that ran fine, but the timing chain had just started to make noise. Could that have been the issue? It was driven for a couple days after it started to make the noise. Cam gears literally look brand new (ill upload a pic). Cold compression was above 180psi on all four. But the engine sat dry for a few months. Does this sound like the valve could have failed, and is it hard to replace?

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Did you replace the gasket on the oil pickup tube? Was the tensioner installed extended or compressed?

You could visually check to see if the top end is getting oil.

Comment

Oil pick up as in under (or above I guess) the upper oil pan? I didn't touch that. I put the tensioner in uncompressed/extended.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

How would I visually check the top end for oil, pull the valve cover? Or should I be able to see it though the oil cap hole? Sorry for all the questions, this is my first time swapping an engine so I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Take the valve cover off and see if everything is covered in oil like it should be
                DENY IGNORANCE!
                Schwarz 325-totaled
                brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
                don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Not sure on the m42, but you can see oil flinging around on my s14 with the cap off.
                  Originally posted by codyep3
                  I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                  2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                  1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                  1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                  2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                  2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                  2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                  2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                  2010 F650gs twin
                  2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

I would pull the fuel pump relay, put the battery on a charger, and turn the car over with the starter untill you build oil pressure. Never start a dry motor without first confirming adequate oil pressure.
                    Originally posted by codyep3
                    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                    2010 F650gs twin
                    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

You should see oil flinging with the cap off my guess is either your oil pressure relief valve is stuck...or your tensioner is shit
                      Originally posted by bmwm42
                      PNW vulture pm me for parts
                      Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                        I would pull the fuel pump relay, put the battery on a charger, and turn the car over with the starter untill you build oil pressure. Never start a dry motor without first confirming adequate oil pressure.
                        Can I do this without risking damaging anything? How long should I be able to do that without burning up the starter? I'm thinking I should find a way to accurately meter the oil pressure first, unless maybe it just needs to be turned over for a while for it to build up, but I don't think that's normal.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                          Can I do this without risking damaging anything? How long should I be able to do that without burning up the starter? I'm thinking I should find a way to accurately meter the oil pressure first, unless maybe it just needs to be turned over for a while for it to build up, but I don't think that's normal.
                          Yep, keep your cranks under 30 seconds each, with 15 seconds being an ideal maximum. Clearly you need to let the starter cool at some point, use your best judgement and you will be okay.

The only easy place to check oil pressure with a gauge would be at the oil pressure sensor.

You could also pull your tensioner back out and just see if there is anything odd about it, broken spring, etc.

Comment

If the oil pressure light is in, then it seems unlikely to be the tensioner. Letting things sit for a while is surprisingly hard on an engine. As has been recommended, you really need to check your oil pressure. Low pressure will make the thing super noisy like an old diesel. And kill the engine. Not the best.

My bet is on the pressure check valve in the timing case being stuck or having a busted spring.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                              If the oil pressure light is in, then it seems unlikely to be the tensioner. Letting things sit for a while is surprisingly hard on an engine. As has been recommended, you really need to check your oil pressure. Low pressure will make the thing super noisy like an old diesel. And kill the engine. Not the best.

My bet is on the pressure check valve in the timing case being stuck or having a busted spring.
                              Okay thanks. So it looks like the noise is definitely the timing chain, and that my oil pressure has something to do with it. Ill see if I can find a way to test the pressure. Cranking it with the starter should read more than probably 5psi, right? I'm gonna be out for a few days but ill look into replacing my check valve when I get back.

Edit: and I was just reading that I have to pull the upper oil pan to replace the check valve. dammit please someone tell me there's an easier way.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X