Key broke off inside the ignition cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key broke off inside the ignition cylinder

What is the best way to around fixing this? I can get a new cylinder with two matching keys for about 60 bucks. But what do I do about the door locks? I think the best way to do this is to yank the cylinder out and trying to pull the broken key out. Then reweld it back onto the rest of the key. Then have the locksmith make a copy and reword the tumblers in the new cylinder.

Any suggestions?

dam sucks,,,,,,, you should yank out the key that's in your lock if you at home and get another key made.

Comment

take out the cylinder or use a screwdriver

new ignition cylinder isn't expensive and you can get matching one to your doors.

Comment

I've had this happen. Long story short, I had to find ignition/key combo on ebay. Needless to say, I have to carry two bmw keys. One for doors and one just for my ignition...

Good luck.

'89 325i - Totaled... good bye my love...
        '87 327i budget stroker - SOLD!!!
        '92 240sx - ca18det powered drift toy - SOLD!!!
        '89 325i - coupe - NEW daily
        '96 Audi A6 Quattro- Grocery getter/baby hauler
        '99 Busa - weekend wheelie monster

Comment

yeah they look to be around 60 bucks per cylinder/lock. How do I go about getting them matched? just take the assembly to the locksmith to redo the tumblers?

Comment

last time I got one matched from dealer, had to bring in title/registration and two forms of ID. They send it off to Germans and 2-3 weeks later you get one.

You could install a random tumbler and then install remote door opener, this way you'll still have only one key.

Comment

any idea of cost?

Comment

I bought my car with that same damned problem. I don't mind carrying two keys around, but I need to get the old key out so I don't have to pay to have one cut from a vin! The dealership around here is a pain in the ass and doesn't want to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Poopie View Post
                  any idea of cost?
                  mine was $40 and it was 1.5 years ago

Comment

I get VIN keys cut at the dealer for about $15.

They require proof of ownership, ID, etc.

Hustle your ass down there.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

^ that.

You can also remove the door/trunk cylinders and bring them to the locksmith with your ignition key and they can re-key them to match the ignition key. The ignition lock cylinder from what I was told by one of the better local locksmith can't be re-keyed.
                      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

...a little superglue on the end of the break...hold it on the part in the cylinder and give it a gentle pull. It should come out.

Take the two halves to the locksmith and have it reproduced.
                        Suspension tips here...
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          I get VIN keys cut at the dealer for about $15.

They require proof of ownership, ID, etc.

Hustle your ass down there.

Luke
                          how exactly does that work? do they make a new key with nothing to copy from?
                          sigpic
                          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                            how exactly does that work? do they make a new key with nothing to copy from?
                            Yes. They make a brand new key based off of your VIN, so no other key is needed.

Oh, and you need one of these:

Broken key extractor. Any lock smith will have them and can get the key out no problem. They can also make a copy off of the broken piece of key without having to reattach it to the rest of the key.

Comment

Ya, I had a tire shop break a key off in my door. Locksmith was able to pull it right out. I don't think it is too expensive if you can get the car to them. Might be a bit more if they have to make a house call.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X