Educate me on X3's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me on X3's

What years/model to avoid, what specific problem areas to look for?

Any major mid/year changes?

Thanks
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

we just bought a 04 x3 and so far we haven't had any problems, very nice suv clean good looking and good in the snow.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

major transmission problems with no recalls, search bimmerfest x3 section.
      1985 BMW 325e
      1997 BMW M3/4/5
      2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

We've had ours for over 4 years now, with no problems, but BMW's maintenance schedule was not followed. Did all regular fluid changes not believing that lifetime fill crap. Most trannies fail before 80k IIRC.
        Continuous For Sale Thread
        323i s50

Comment

I never trust a car to shift for me, cause the more things a car does for me, the more I know I'll have to pay when it gets old.

Comment

the X3 is a pretty good platform most issues with them are related to panoramic sunroof failure, window regulator failure. motor wise if its a m54 all normal stuff like valve cover gasket, intake air boots, crank case vent valve. stuff like that. if its a n52 electric water pump failure, vanos solenoids stiff/jammed. and hope lifters have been done if its before 08. trans wise I havn't seen much other then a vtg motor for the transfer case going out.

Comment

it was made for women, thats all I know about them. :)
              '90 325is DD, 5 spd swap-H&R springs-Euro Headlight Fully Built OBD1 M54b30. Ox Blood interior, 3.46 LSD with Z3M Diff Cover. Custom shifter, every bushing replaced.
              '86 325e- Donor car for swap/parts car
              '00 323i- BBS 197s Totalted
              '89 740 turbo Volvo- Donated

Comment

Originally posted by BMWerke View Post
                it was made for women, thats all I know about them. :)
                so true
                www.eurowinnipeg.com
                www.E30S38.com
                E30 Mtec2-S38 | V10 TDI treg | E34 M5 | E39 M5 | Corrado turbo VR6

Comment

My dad has a 2006 X3 3.0 and I pretty much hate it. The interior and trunk space is significantly more cramped than the Subaru Forester 2.5XT he traded in for it. Visibility is worse, too. The damping sucks: too harsh on even smooth roads, yet still allows for significant body roll. The seats are hard and offer zero lateral or lumbar support. The interior feels cheap for a BMW. Fuel economy is hovering in the 15-17mpg range in mixed city/highway use, which is about what I get from the 5.6L V8 in my Mercedes 560SL. Worst of all, the handling truly sucks in the snow. The AWD system is a real dog.

Overall, there are very many vehicles I would prefer to an X3. The Forester 2.5XT was a better mini SUV in almost every respect. A 5-series wagon would also be much better.
                  sigpic
                  1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                  2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

I'd much rather have an X5. The X3's just look like the lowest, cheapest end model BMW. IMO they are ugly and a nice sedan would have the same if not more amount of space inside.

"The Camry is an appliance, not a car. It attracts folks who have the same regard for driving that they have for washing dishes,
                    i.e. it's a necessary but somewhat unpleasant chore and they want something to make the task a little easier and insulate them from the process."
                     - my friend, Número Veintiséis

Comment

Plus 1 for a forester. My family's handles great... beast in the snow

Comment

X5 M, if you want to get a BMW SUV. Good luck buying it.
                        ///Z

1988 BMW 325 Super Eta - Elsa

"i"CONVERSIONWARchip&3.0MAF3.73LSDBBSRSsSMILIES"is"SPOILER+LIPHOUNDSTOOTHSHORTSHIFTERPLASTICBUMPERCONVERSIONEtc.

Sell Me Your SCHWARZ FENDERS!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
                        ^ Nothing you post makes any sense.

Comment

I agree with the comments above.
                          Originally posted by z31maniac
                          I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Auto Tranny that bad, fail at 80k?! wtf.

What year forresters?
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I'll comment since we had one for 6 years since new in 2004.

2004-2005 models
                              -2.5 and 3.0l models avaialable, always get the 3.0l
                              -Rear window regulators tend to fail if the windows aren't rolled down that often. (Never had mine failed)
                              -People complain it rides too rough, I disagree. It can be bouncy on some roads tho.
                              -Make sure the sunroof drains are clean or expect the obvious. Also early models like mine had the tendency to rattle on rough roads.
                              -Door seals creak tremendously, dealer has a notice on it to fix it with updated ones, same for sunroof.
                              -If you hear a ticking while it's running it is the intake "adjuster unit" PN 11617502275. 04/2004 were the last models to have them.
                              -Always go for one with the sport package because the non sport seats are uncomfortable unless set at "sporty" angles.
                              -People don't like it's plain interior. I agree for a 40k+ new BMW, but not for the price range they are in now. I kinda liked how simple it was.
                              -2004-05 had the Anthracite headliner instead of the "kill me now" beige.
                              -The automatic models have no issues other than change the fluid in them every 40-50k despite what BMW says. 2007+ avoid like the plague.
                              -Manual models are much easier to find in these year models
                              -108k on ours with no issues other than maintenance
                              -@130k replace the diff and transfer case seals, they tend to leak around this time

-I loved mine, even with the auto, in fact I would have gotten another one if the sticker price wasn't more than my damn new 335i E90.

Comment

Working...
                              X