No announcement yet.

Presidential debate...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there was time when this was "more" the case. But its always been a messy and dirty process. Just the populace used to take a little more care, and active role in their governance, now a days no one really truly understands what its all about.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

When O talks I feel better about my future. When R talks I feel like I'm about to be shoved into a rooftop pet carrier and taken for a ride.
      sigpic
      Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
      If you ever sell that car, tell me first. I want to be the first to not be able to afford it.

Comment

True Sleeve. But this year has seen a ridiculous level of pushing the line between politicians misleading vs flat out lies. I am saddened by as you said lack of care by voters. The pack mentality hurts a lot.

Comment

on this we agree. I guess I am glad I have been to busy to see much tv and the endless adds and poo flinging
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

It's been bad. The ads have also invaded Pandora. And I have a politicial banner ad on R3V too.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
              When O talks I feel better about my future.
              ...and he is good at making you feel that way, that's why he gets so many votes! ;)

Comment

even the lib news channel says it's accurate. fiat owns most of the company and they said they wanted to shift production over to china.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                my feedback thread

Comment

1/2 truth is miss leading.

TO sell in China you have to build in China. All of the major auto makers build there for the local markets.

But I am curious how many Parts are coming form china to be assembled here in the US
                  Last edited by mrsleeve; 11-02-2012, 03:07 PM.

William Pitt-

Comment

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
                    my feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post

TO sell in China you have to build in China. All of the major auto makers build there for the local markets.

But I am curious how many Parts are coming form china to be assembled here in the US
                      Only enough parts come over so that they can legally sell the car and call it "american-made" which usually means 2/3rds of the parts are supposed to be sourced from here. 2/3 used to be the amount, it is possible that it has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post

It's not really a half truth at all. I'd consider it a flat out lie.

And on the last point, google makes it pretty easy to find that:

Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act (AALA) Reports

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                        Only enough parts come over so that they can legally sell the car and call it "american-made" which usually means 2/3rds of the parts are supposed to be sourced from here. 2/3 used to be the amount, it is possible that it has changed.
                        Why speculate and make shit up when 10 seconds with Google.com could give you the exact amount of domestic production of every vehicle sold here that was made for the last 7 years? (joshh/gwb much?) - see the AALA reports, or read some of the articles found:

The most American-made car... is the Toyota Camry.
                        http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ory=amMade0712

Followed by F-150, Honda Accord, and Toyota Sienna. But the F-150 wasn't on the most American-made list last year, it's domestic content was only 60% then.

The Jeep Liberty is #8 most American-made car. "Jeep Liberty: 76 percent DPC, built in Toledo, Ohio"

2011 (MY12?) numbers

Small SUV: Jeep Wrangler
                        NHTSA Domestic Content: 78-79 Percent
                        Subcompact: Ford Fiesta
                        NHTSA Domestic Content: 10 Percent

The Jeep Wrangler four-door maintains a strong lead against the competition, with 79 percent of its parts coming from domestic sources. The Wrangler leads the class, beating the Chevy and GMC, as well as its top import competitors, the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4, which are only 60 percent domestic.

But the whole issue is silly - one shouldn't hate on global production and sourcing, as long as quality is good. Does it really matter to you if your fuel pumps are made here or in Germany? It should be who makes them high-quality for the best price. And the US has a great ability in manufacturing - but shouldn't worry about damn T-shirts being made abroad in cheap labor nations because there's not a lot of skill in their production and quality isn't as critical as say, a combine, engine, or pharmaceuticals.

Does it matter that a 2012 Silverado is 62% US/CAN and 34% Mexican? An RDX or Ridgeline is more American than that... or maybe it should just be taken as an efficient allocation of production based on skill, shipping cost, local demand, capacity/availability, and price.

American production capability is important and vital to the US's best interests, but it should be built on skill, technology, and ability - like Chrysler did with KUKA robotics support in Toledo, not pure protectionism like worrying about content sourcing. Those who do get too much crap from China and other low-quality nations have had it sometimes come back and bite them, and there is a good amount of resourcing already with more to come. However, that won't stop the need to produce in China for domestic demand as is common with other car companies and industries.

Comment

heeter for the record I agree with you on this. While I am no fan of the china crap quality that comes form most everything made there. I agree that those that worry about a plastic cups at taco bell come from there dont quite get it.

William Pitt-

Comment

I know, but I also don't like speculation from either side - especially when the data is public and quickly accessible.

At the end of the day, people produce in the US not because it is the cheapest place to do so, but because it's local access to our huge amount of product demand and also our manufacturing is worth it. It's hard for the average American to appreciate all the important and valuable things made here in the US when all the stupid cheap crap says China on it. But that doesn't mean the media should repeat falsehoods to them either.

Comment

Working...
                            X