Israelis in Gaza or Ferguson, MO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Huffpost

From the reams of grand jury testimony and police evidence, here are some key points that, if this case had gone to trial, could have been highlighted by prosecutors (not including the witnesses who appeared to contradict Wilson’s testimony):

1. Wilson washed away blood evidence.

In an interview with police investigators, Wilson admitted that after the shooting he returned to police headquarters and washed blood off his body -- physical evidence that could have helped to prove or disprove a critical piece of Wilson’s testimony regarding his struggle with Brown inside the police car. He told his interrogator that he had blood on both of his hands. “I think it was his blood,” Wilson said referring to Brown. He added that he was not cut anywhere.

A photo of Wilson's injuries taken at the hospital after his altercation with Brown, released by the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.

2. The first officer to interview Wilson failed to take any notes.

The first supervising officer to the scene, who was also the first person to interview Wilson about the incident, didn’t take any notes about their conversation. In testimony more than a month after the incident, the officer offered his account from memory. He explained that he hadn’t been equipped with a recorder and hadn’t tried to take any written notes due to the chaotic nature of the situation. He also didn’t write up any notes soon after the fact. “I didn’t take notes because at that point in time I had multiple things going through my head besides what Darren was telling me,” the officer stated.

The same officer admitted during his grand jury testimony that Wilson had called him personally after they both had been interviewed by investigators. Wilson then went over his account again with the officer. The officer told the grand jury that there were no discrepancies between Wilson’s first account in person and his second account on the phone. But the call raises questions about whether Wilson may have influenced witness testimony.

3. Investigators failed to measure the likely distance between Brown and Wilson.

An unnamed medical legal examiner who responded to the shooting testified before the grand jury that he or she had not taken any distance measurements at the scene, because they appeared “self-explanatory.”

“Somebody shot somebody. There was no question as to any distances or anything of that nature at the time I was there,” the examiner told the jury.

The examiner also noted that he or she hadn’t been able to take pictures at the scene -- as is standard -- because the camera's batteries were dead. The examiner later testified that he or she accompanied investigators from the St. Louis County Police Department as they photographed Brown’s body.

michael brown crime scene ferguson

A photo of the Aug. 9 crime scene in Ferguson, released by the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.

4. Investigators did not test Wilson’s gun for fingerprints.

Talking with police investigators and before the grand jury, Wilson claimed that Brown had grabbed at Wilson's gun during the initial incident in the police car and that Brown's hand was on the firearm when it misfired at least once. Wilson also told police that he thought Brown would overpower him and shoot him with his own gun. “I was not in control of the gun,” Wilson said. Eventually he regained control of the weapon and fired from within the car.

Investigators could have helped to prove or disprove Wilson’s testimony by testing his service weapon for Brown’s fingerprints. But the gun was not tested for fingerprints. An investigator argued before the grand jury that the decision was made not to test the weapon because Wilson “never lost control of his gun.”

5. Wilson did not immediately turn his weapon over to investigators after killing Brown.

A detective with the St. Louis County Police Department, who conducted the first official interview of Wilson, testified to the grand jury that Wilson had packaged his own service weapon into an evidence envelope following his arrival at the police station in the wake of the shooting. The detective said the practice was not usual for his department, though he was unclear on the protocol of the Ferguson Police Department. He said he didn’t explore that aspect further at the time.

According to the detective’s testimony, standard practice for the St. Louis County Police Department would be for an officer involved in a shooting to keep his or her weapon holstered until it can be turned over to a supervisor and a crime scene unit detective. While that clearly didn’t take place in Wilson’s case, the detective also testified that he believed the firearm was handled in a way that preserved the chain of custody.

michael brown crime scene ferguson

A photo of Wilson's service weapon, released by the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.

6. An initial interview with investigators was delayed while Wilson traveled to the hospital with his superiors.

The same St. Louis County Police Department detective also testified that while he had intended to conduct his initial interview with Wilson at the Ferguson police station, a lieutenant colonel with the Ferguson Police Department decided that Wilson first needed to go to the hospital for medical treatment. The detective said that while it is common practice to defer to any medical decision of this nature, Wilson appeared to be in good health and didn’t have any notable injuries that would have prevented an interview from being conducted at the station. Wilson would also testify that he didn’t believe he needed to go to the hospital.

But that day, Wilson got into a vehicle with the lieutenant colonel and another Ferguson police official and went to the hospital, while the St. Louis County detective traveled in another vehicle.

7. Wilson’s initial interview with the detective conflicts with information given in later testimony.

In his first interview with the detective, just hours after Brown’s death, Wilson didn’t claim to have any knowledge that Brown was suspected of stealing cigarillos from a nearby convenience store. The only mention of cigarillos he made to the detective was a recollection of the call about the theft that had come across his radio and that provided a description of the suspect.

Wilson also told the detective that Brown had passed something off to his friend before punching Wilson in the face. At the time, the detective said, Wilson didn’t know what the item was, referring to it only as “something.” In subsequent interviews and testimony, however, Wilson claimed that he knew Brown’s hands were full of cigarillos and that fact eventually led him to believe Brown may have been a suspect in the theft.

Comment

I am mystified by everyone saying they need a police force that reflects their ethnic makeup. I have a family member who was employed by stl county police. They have tried out for SWAT 3 years straight. Each of those years finished in the top 3 of candidates. Each year they and other top scorers were passed over for minorities who didn't score in the top 10. They have since left stl county to do private security, which is a shame for the county. Who do you want protecting you or taking what could be a life saving shot, the best marksman/performing officer or one who looks like you. Just not logical rationale to me. Everyone should be based on performance not color, ethnicity or quotas.

That said I think cameras on every officer is a good idea in theory and would greatly aid the police much more than hinder them. All the officers I know would gladly have them.

I feel the reason this went to a GJ is because there was no case in the DA opinion. Could you imagine him saying he wasn't going to file charges? I'm sure he felt having the GJ make a determination would help diffuse the situation. He also submitted /released all evidence to appease the family and community who were infuriated and demanded transparency. He made the GJ process as transparent as it could possibly be, and more so than any one I have ever heard of.
      Last edited by naplesE30; 11-26-2014, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
        Don't be offended that someone reminded you that you're stupid.

I actually made a well reasoned post up above which you completely ignored because you're too busy making wall after wall of word vomit posts.
        Was gonna send you a pm of this but...meh. Maybe this will get you to understand where I'm coming from. Maybe you need to hear it from a black man for you to listen.
        Originally posted by Wh33lhop
        This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
          I have a family member who was employed by stl county police. They have tried out for SWAT 3 years straight. Each of those years finished in the top 3 of candidates. Each year they and other top scorers were passed over for minorities who didn't score in the top 10.
          Sorry but your family member is feeding you a heap of bullshit. It's not possible for him to know where he ranked compared to other candidates nor where those hired ranked relative to other candidates. Candidate and hiring decisions are not public information.
          Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
            Sorry but your family member is feeding you a heap of bullshit. It's not possible for him to know where he ranked compared to other candidates nor where those hired ranked relative to other candidates. Candidate and hiring decisions are not public information.
            Yeah your prob right o wise one. There is no way to know how the others perform when you are doing firing drills, and running obstacle course with various situations together as a group, with everyone there to see how each other performs. Its very obvious who the top performers are, just like when you try out for a club sports team. Have you ever tried out for a sport? Next you will tell me that he wasnt the top graduate in the academy when he intially went into the force. I guess the plaque on his wall is bullshit as well. Your info is flat wrong. Everyone is given a rank, kinda like when you graduate from highschool and you know where in your class your gpa ranked. Also being part of SWAT is not something you are hired for. It is more or less like a volunteer fire fighter. You still have your normal beat and normal shifts. Its not a full time position. You are pulled from duty or called in when situations arise. At least thats how STL County is, other cities may be different.
            Last edited by naplesE30; 11-27-2014, 04:28 AM.

Comment

well now that you mention it I'm tempted to think you're just full of shit all around

there is more to ranking a candidate than obstacle drills and you'll learn this once you grow up and enter the work force with the rest of us adults

Comment

I guess I am over acheving having 40 employees under my direct supervision, and having ushered a $5.2 million capital improvement project at my place of employment. Thanks for the lesson in ignorance. Ill make sure to get back to you with my finding once I enter the work force. Hopefully one day I will become mature like you and tell people they are full of shit, and assume I know everything about the person I am ineracting with. I appreciate you not pre judging who I am, how old I am, or at what stage I am in my life. Irony is a bitch sometimes.

Also, if you think the best qualified canadite is hired/promoted for every position in the workforce you would be mistaken.

A link to some of that private info you speak of from a random class of grads.

Last edited by naplesE30; 11-27-2014, 07:48 AM.

Comment

^yep. My father had to hire a black guy for a turbine mechanic at a powerplant he was overseeing over a white guy who was, in his opinion, way more qualified by 10 years of professional experience. The black guy ended up fucking up one of their turbines and costing them millions.
                  Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                  This is r3v. Check your vaginal sand at the door.

Comment

Yeah your prob right o wise one. There is no way to know how the others perform when you are doing firing drills, and running obstacle course with various situations together as a group, with everyone there to see how each other performs. Its very obvious who the top performers are, just like when you try out for a club sports team. Have you ever tried out for a sport? Next you will tell me that he wasnt the top graduate in the academy when he intially went into the force. I guess the plaque on his wall is bullshit as well. Your info is flat wrong. Everyone is given a rank, kinda like when you graduate from highschool and you know where in your class your gpa ranked. Also being part of SWAT is not something you are hired for. It is more or less like a volunteer fire fighter. You still have your normal beat and normal shifts. Its not a full time position. You are pulled from duty or called in when situations arise. At least thats how STL County is, other cities may be different.
                    well now that you mention it I'm tempted to think you're just full of shit all around

there is more to ranking a candidate than obstacle drills and you'll learn this once you grow up and enter the work force with the rest of us adults
                    I guess I am over acheving having 40 employees under my direct supervision, and having ushered a $5.2 million capital improvement project at my place of employment. Thanks for the lesson in ignorance. Ill make sure to get back to you with my finding once I enter the work force. Hopefully one day I will become mature like you and tell people they are full of shit, and assume I know everything about the person I am ineracting with. I appreciate you not pre judging who I am, how old I am, or at what stage I am in my life. Irony is a bitch sometimes.

Also, if you think the best qualified canadite is hired/promoted for every position in the workforce you would be mistaken.

http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-jou...97cc3f749.html
                    Originally posted by slaterd View Post
                    ^yep. My father had to hire a black guy for a turbine mechanic at a powerplant he was overseeing over a white guy who was, in his opinion, way more qualified by 10 years of professional experience. The black guy ended up fucking up one of their turbines and costing them millions.
                    Walk away for the day guys. What are you thankful for? Just for one day. Please.
                    Originally posted by Andy.B
                    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                    ~~~~~~~~~~
                    I was born on 3/25…
                    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-jou...97cc3f749.html
                      When one finishes at the top of one's class, that person is going to receive accolades.

That's a completely different situation from divulging where one ranks relative to one's peers during a hiring/promotion phase.

You have 40 employees under your direct supervision and you're here making an argument that you would divulge to anyone the criteria you used and how you ranked them as compared to candidates you didn't hire?

Are you seriously trying to argue here that during a promotion phase you literally walk around and tell the people where they rank according to your own internal criteria and then tell the ones who aren't promoted, "sorry, we really liked your performance but unfortunately you only came in fourth so we are passing you by this year."? If you're actually doing that you are vulnerable to a slew of lawsuits and privacy violations within your corporation...if you're actually telling the truth, which seems unlikely.

These regulations are even more strict when it comes to government hiring/promotion processes. I can't even divulge to my students or cadets one another's grades let alone how they compare to each other during a training phase. I can recognize students and cadets for being "best" in something but you'll notice that list doesn't go downward and start naming who was second or third from the top and certainly doesn't go into who was at the bottom.

Comment

In Cuba communist regime forced all races to be treated equal. Any hint of discrimination is considered act of antievolutionism and there is jail time for that. After year 1990 Cuba became tourist oriented country. Cuba put all their effort to provide best service for tourists. Over span of 10 years Cuban labor department decided not to hire Cuban blacks to work positions were is direct contact with tourists. Reasoning is they had the most incidents with black employees, most complaints and worst work ethics. Cuban black also talk jibberish Spanish in counter to their white Cubans who pronounce Spanish more clearly.

This comes from a country that forces everyone to be treated equally or you go to jail.

Comment

lol, with that latest racist post i'm out.

some of you are deplorable. have a great thanksgiving.

Comment

wow so this has fallen to affirmative action debate (which could use some reforms ) and race card pulling where none needed to be pulled

Happy turkey day all
                            Originally posted by Fusion
                            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                            X