No announcement yet.

M44 into an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good deal! This fuckers going in pretty soon!

Originally posted by vlad
    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

M44 Swap

Are there any updates on the m44 swap? I have the same dilemma whether to rebuild my tired M42 (360,000km no oil pressure and making loud clatter from the timing chain cover) or the M44 which I can get easily.
      Last edited by dark_islight; 06-11-2008, 04:20 PM.
      dark_islight

Comment

Oh. it was not an M44, when i picked it up i noticed a '93' stamped on the back of the head, so it was an M42.

Swap the pan, intake, and accesories. Put it in one weekend and its run perfect ever since.

Comment

if you are looking for an m44, be carefull if you are looking at a 95 yr model as they switched from the m42 halfway through.

Comment

What about running the m44 with the ecu, just swapping the pan and manifolds?
            How much is different if swapping into an m20 car?

Comment

I just made a post on m42club about this swap... I would like to see if there is any more knowledge here.

my 318is is a daily driver. Engine rarely goes past 4k, but with 200k it is tired and NOISEY!!! So I started looking into the m44 conversion.

The easiest way to do this conversion is a simple short block swap. Retain the e30 intake, harness, sensors, oil pan and accessories. The displacement change is an increase of .1L. I believe this would be a negligible change, though some feel a complete remap is necessary.

The only real question that came to mind for me was the difference in the cam sensor design. The e30 m42 and e36 m44 use different sensors. What I can tell, however, is that if this sensor is not functioning the ignition goes into wasted spark, where the ignitions are paired. This simply means you get one piston firing when it should and a paired piston firing when it's on the exhaust stroke- meaning it is wasted and affects nothing. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now the second thing that came to mind regarding this cam sensor was that it must also work with the fuel injection. Well come to find out the fuel injection is already firing in pairs. So the injection stays the same, and the ignition goes into wasted spark mode. I venture to say it is safe to kill the cam sensor...??...

Will someone please correct me if I am wrong? I am tired of hearing the terrible volvo b230f under my hood! I want a lower milage, smooth BMW engine again!

Comment

Then please rebuild your M42 and call it a day.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
                  Then please rebuild your M42 and call it a day.
                  A low mileage m44 is easy to come by and far cheaper than rebuilding a worn out m42... that and the m44 has a better head design

Comment

try to find an early e36 318i[s] m42, 93 or before. the one i found had 50k on it. car runs perfect now
                    Last edited by Hick; 08-01-2008, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1 View Post
                      A low mileage m44 is easy to come by and far cheaper than rebuilding a worn out m42... that and the m44 has a better head design
                      I disagree. If all you care about is MPG than get a geo

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                        I disagree. If all you care about is MPG than get a geo
                        You are confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
                          try to find an early e36 318i[s] m42, 93 or before. the one i found had 50k on it. car runs perfect now
                          The late m42 has the improved valve train that I was after... but low milage is good either way.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1 View Post
                            You are confused.

M42 Top end > M44 Top End. Your sig is a disgrace, do you run 87 octane or 92 octane

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                              M42 Top end > M44 Top End. Your sig is a disgrace, do you run 87 octane or 92 octane
                              I was under the impression the m44 had a better valve train design... though very close in design to the the m42, I was thinking improvements were made. I cannot find where I read that, but both engines are new to me, so information is welcome. I would have to say info would be more welcome than short replies that have no value other than what seems to be a personal opinion.

I use premium gas with a Mark D chip. Not sure why my sig is a disgrace... do you get better than 32 mpg? If so I am open to suggestions as the more the better...

As for getting a geo... the 318is has been a really fun car, as anyone would tell you, and has the added benefit of really good fuel economy. A good compromise over having a geo that I would never want to be seen in public in...

Help me understand what you mean, Mr. EN318isPDX.

Comment

uhh m50 swap? why even waste time putting in an m44... m50 swapped guys are getting decent mpg, equal to an m42 but more power...hello?
                                IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X