Main Bearings and Lubrication Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Bearings and Lubrication Holes

While assembling the bottom end of my M52B28 block, I found that the set of Glyco main bearings I've purchased does not align the oil feed holes between block and bearing - its a bit hard to tell from the photo, but the two holes on the Glyco bearing are further away from the centre of the arch than the single oil feed hole on the block.

Has anyone else found these bearings to be misaligned like this?
    These are std sized 'yellow' bearings - P/N 11211706847

'Luckily' one of the upper main shells decided to eject from the main bearing cap during clearance checking, and promptly found the nearest sharp edge on it's way down, leaving a nice little scratch/ pit on the inner face of the bearing
    So I now have to buy a new set anyway, though this time I think I'll opt for the Kolbenschmidt set, to see if there is any difference in the shell casting.

In case the KS bearings are equally misaligned, whats the best course of action? Drill a third hole the correct location?

That is how those should be. Notice the groove on the block that will be under the bearing shell? The oil will flow through that groove and then out of the holes that are in the bearing shell.

Glyco bearings can be found from engines assembled from factory (KS bearings also), so it would be strange if those wouldn't work ;)

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
      That is how those should be. Notice the groove on the block that will be under the bearing shell? The oil will flow through that groove and then out of the holes that are in the bearing shell.

Glyco bearings can be found from engines assembled from factory (KS bearings also), so it would be strange if those wouldn't work ;)
      Ok, thanks for the confirmation. So pressure to the rear of the bearing shell is not a concern in that case? The oil passage in the main bearing landing on the block is sufficient to disperse?

I checked the OEM BMW bearings that were in there previously, and they had the same hole locations.
      It just went against what I've been told in the past re. main bearing install (don't cover the oil hole!). But that was for Ford iron blocks, which may or may not be 'simpler' in their engineering I also don't recall whether the bearings/ landings on those old boat anchors had oil passages or not.

Cheers for the assurance!

Comment

That's for the rods, which don't have the backing grooves.

Those should align.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
        X