No announcement yet.

The 5 Year Restoration - E30 M3 Reborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sourced a new windshield $355 from BMW of South Atlanta with free shipping since its a local pickup. there are some for much cheaper on car-part.com in OH and update NY, but neither salvage yard will ship a windshield to me. Not cool.

Comment

Decide now if you want to fully restore it or just do the minimum cosmetic and focus on mechanical. If you want a fun daily M3 to drive without checking the weather first, I'd do the minimum (cowl rust, wheels/tires, and engine refresh) for closer to $5k and then decide if its worth fully restoring.

If you do a proper restoration, you'll likely end up around $25k and still have a high mile M3 that you won't want to drive for fear of damaging and racking up even more miles.

I think you did ok on price as long as you aren't planning on a concourse restoration.

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
        Decide now if you want to fully restore it or just do the minimum cosmetic and focus on mechanical. If you want a fun daily M3 to drive without checking the weather first, I'd do the minimum (cowl rust, wheels/tires, and engine refresh) for closer to $5k and then decide if its worth fully restoring.

If you do a proper restoration, you'll likely end up around $25k and still have a high mile M3 that you won't want to drive for fear of damaging and racking up even more miles.

I think you did ok on price as long as you aren't planning on a concourse restoration.
        I'm not going fo a concours car. Its going to be driven regularly, not a garage queen. My main things are

- Get the engine in solid working order - full rebuild if necessary. Forget about not driving it for fear of damaging it. If it is damaged by driving it something was wrong with it. This is going to be the majority of the work i think - needs to be fully refreshed if needed to make it a solid drivers car.
        - Make sure transmission, differential, suspension working well (car shifts and handles like an e30 M3 should, replace things as needed)
        - Get interior looking new - reupholster seats, shampoo/dye carpet, new dash, evo II steering wheel, thorough detailing
        - Restore exterior paint - hopefully not a full repaint but definitely repainting the spoiler and front bumper. Likely a lot of rock chips that need to be filled or just respray the hood and front quarters
        - Fix all dents and rust
        - New windshield

-Keeping the stock wheels, will replace tires if needed

Basically i would be happy if I could get it to a condition similar to my 335, which has some scratches/rock chips, but is overall in pretty excellent condition. Here are some old pics, pre-7" intercooler and black trim. Wow judging by the pollen blanket on the road these are almost a year old already. Time flies:

Last edited by CurrusDei; 08-19-2014, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zinoberrot View Post
          I'm not going fo a concourse car. Its going to be driven regularly, not a garage queen. My main things are

- Get the engine in solid working order - full rebuild if necessary. Forget about not driving it for fear of damaging it. If it is damaged by driving it something was wrong with it. This is going to be the majority of the work i think - needs to be fully refreshed if needed to make it a solid drivers car. $1-8k
          - Make sure transmission, differential, suspension working well (car shifts and handles like an e30 M3 should, replace things as needed) $1-3k
          - Get interior looking new - reupholster seats, shampoo/dye carpet, new dash, evo II steering wheel, thorough detailing $1-2k
          - Restore exterior paint - hopefully not a full repaint but definitely repainting the spoiler and front bumper. Likely a lot of rock chips that need to be filled or just respray the hood and front quarters $1k minimum touch up. $3-6k for respray
          - Fix all dents and rust $500-2k depending on extent of rust and amount/size/location of dents
          - New windshield $500 installed
          -Keeping the stock wheels, will replace tires if needed $500-1,000 unless you have all five stock rims already.
          The minimum you might get away if you are able to do most of the mechanical work yourself will be $5k and only if there are zero surprises. I would budget at least $10k if you want it in the same condition as your 335i. Not trying to be disheartening, just sharing from experience since mine started out in similar condition and has cost me more than I care to count.
          Last edited by fronton; 04-02-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
            The minimum you might get away if you are able to do most of the mechanical work yourself will be $5k and only if there are zero surprises. I would budget at least $10k if you want it in the same condition as your 335i. Not trying to be disheartening, just sharing from experience since mine started out in similar condition and has cost me more than I care to count.
            I hear ya, thanks for the perspective. Experience with any car is valuable - thus my presence here talking to you guys ;D. I'm planning to take my time with it, and I'm not in a hurry to tear it apart either. Probably going to have it inspected and drive it for a bit in its current state to get to know it before I pull it apart. That way I'll have time to shop around for deals too.

Edit: Also I have four stock rims coming with the car. One is on already and the other three are in the trunk. Previous owner put it on cheap wheels for sitting in the shop.

Edit 2: Also, hoping that the car having been in socal its whole life will severely limit the amount of rust I'm dealing with. My 335 came from boston and while there was no rust I had a devil of a time installing my downpipes because the bolts were so corroded from road salt

Comment

There is a set of local wheels listed if you need more.

Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                There is a set of local wheels listed if you need more.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/4376998275.html
                Thanks for the tip! Hopefully the ones that come with the car are good but nice to have options.

Comment

Did you order an M3 or standard e30 windshield?
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                    Did you order an M3 or standard e30 windshield?
                    M3 windshield: 51311953990

Also the Gasket, two supports, clamp, and edge protection.

Comment

FYI: There are two OEM M3 windshield options: one has the green tint and one has no tint but is thinner and lighter by 4lb. Make sure the installer has extensive experience with bonded windshields. Most modern windshields are bonded now but its worth asking before he comes out.

Comment

I got the one with green tint. Read about the thinner one but it wasnt readily available, plus the tinted one is original to the car.

Also, got another set of pictures. That front bumper looks like it just finished Dakar. Going to get a good sanding, crack repair, front plate delete, and paint as soon as practical.

Comment

looks like it mite be worth while to source a new bumper. can probably sell that one to recoupe half the cost.
                          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                            looks like it mite be worth while to source a new bumper. can probably sell that one to recoupe half the cost.
                            The new ones from the dealer are $1K. Any favorite alternatives? Or is it down to waiting for one to come up for sale used? Wanting to stay as close to OEM as possible.

Comment

Wow, I am not current on m3 parts, but that is pricey. Don't ever buy direct from dealer, they are a rip. I suggest contact blunttech and see what the price is, I will check out my wholesaler in the slight chance that they have it just to reference price.
                              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Have you pulled the front bumper? Its extremely easy, just pop the two little covers off on the front then unscrew the two bolts, then pull off. (if you have fender liners, theres two more screws you have to undo in the wheel well)

Curious as to the purpose of the zip ties...might determine if you need to source a new bumper. Talk to blunttech and levent at gutenparts for sourcing a used one. And post a WTB ad, you never know who is sitting on one.
                                Current:
                                1989 325i
                                1988 M3
                                1987 325ic
                                Past:
                                2001 330ci
                                2001 M3

Comment

Working...
                                X