X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bosch Gen III (EV6) injectors for S14 engines

Hi All,

Following on from THIS

Well, we're a month down the line from when I fitted the new injectors, and they're brilliant ! In most respects you wouldn't know that anything was different about the fuel system; and certainly not that the modification was in any way experimental. The car behaves exactly as you'd expect: You turn the key, and it starts from cold, but the consistency of the idle is better, and I think I'm getting a slight improvement in fuel economy; but I'll confirm that in another couple of weeks.

Where I do notice a difference however, is in the performance. Something I used to notice with my 320is, but that I also noticed with my 318is is that on most days, the performance was OK, but not exceptional. Then on some days, for no apparent reason, irrespective of weather, air temperature etc., the car would perform noticeably better - noticeably more willing to accelerate, and begging (much more than usual) to be driven quickly. Since I've fitted these modern injectors, that extra sparkle is always there - consistently. The performance is much more willing, the throttle response is better, and the engine doesn't get "bogged down" at low speed - you're never left waiting for the power when trying to pull out of a junction on to a busy road with a lorry breathing down your neck !

So far these EV6 injectors are a complete triumph - a total success. So much so that if I were using factory standard injectors (particularly in a OE spec engine), I wouldn't even think of sticking with them - I'd use the cross reference chart mentioned in my first post (and no other reference chart), spend some time selecting an equivalent EV6 injector, and replace the old injectors as a matter of course.

The fact of the matter is that you'll spend as much money having the old injectors cleaned than you will buying replacement EV6 injectors (0 280 155 715), and after having spent the money, you'll still have a set of 25+ year old injectors in your engine; and modern injectors are just better - full stop.

Best Regards,

Dave.
    Last edited by E30_Dave; 12-16-2014, 02:20 AM.

Comment

One final update.

It's now two months since I fitted these new injectors.

Today, I took the car to a local garage to have the exhaust emissions checked, and without adjustment, the the CO was hovering at around 1.5%.

Over the last few weeks, I've been watching my fuel consumption, and can now confirm that these injectors have cut the urban fuel consumption by 30%... I was using 30 litres a week just getting back and fore to work; this figure has come down to 20 litres a week, so these injectors paid for themselves in 6 weeks !

I have yet to do a long distance run, but I was able to get 40+mpg on the old injectors, so I'd expect the fuel consumption to be somewhere between 45 & 48mpg if I drive really carefully. This represents a reduction of between 12.5 & 20%.

Best Regards,

Dave.
      Last edited by E30_Dave; 12-15-2014, 12:30 PM.

Comment

WOW, Im in for more updates as this progresses

Comment

An imperial gallon is more than a US gallon. So that being said I believe the highway rating of a US spec E30 M3 was about 26 MPG US so with the 0.2 gallon available I think a US spec might be able to get 33 MPG. The difference between a US and the rest of the world is the gearbox/final drive ratio.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
            An imperial gallon is more than a US gallon. So that being said I believe the highway rating of a US spec E30 M3 was about 26 MPG US so with the 0.2 gallon available I think a US spec might be able to get 33 MPG. The difference between a US and the rest of the world is the gearbox/final drive ratio.
            Hi All,

Don't forget also that my car is a 320is, which has a 2.0 litre S14 engine, although the 0 280 155 715 injectors are also good for a stock M3.

Best Regards,

DS.

Comment

Are these new injectors a plug and play? No mods needed other than the extra o ring? I have a newer set of stock injectors in my car, but I'm always looking for something that is better.

Will
              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Will,

Plug and Play - with extra 'o' ring.

Comment

HI All,

Final update.

I have now done the long distance run that I was talking about, and I can report that whilst the urban fuel consumption remains 30% reduced and the performance excellent, the long distance constant speed consumption remains resolutely unchanged !... The 40mpg of which the car was capable with its' OE injectors, remains as before.

Now, I was initially hoping for some improvement, but on reflection I now take this as an indication that the injectors are actually a good match for the engine and the OE fuel map.

That's all folks !

Best Regards,

David.

Comment

Injectors

Hi
                    I just wanted to confirm that you have replaced your old "low impedance "injectors (201's) with later "high impedance" injectors (715's). I've been considering doing this myself but always been wary of the effect on the ECU and indeed if the ECU would even drive the high impedance injectors.
                    If you have done it with no problems that would be great news for the legions of BMW eta drivers looking to upgrade their injectors.
                    Thanks for giving it a go.
                    Chris

Comment

I've been servicing injectors here on r3vlimited for about 2-3 years and have always had this dilemma with using High Impedance injectors on a low impedance DME.

If that's no longer an issue, why not use the M3 E36 injectors 0280150440 rated 200cc at 3bar ?

I can sell those refurbished for 60$ a set and ship anywhere in the world for 25$
                      Get your Injectors Cleaned HERE

Comment

High impedance injectors can be used in a low impedance system, but not the other way around. Low impedance means the circuit has less resistance (more of a "dead short") and will burn up the injector drivers in a high impedance system (high impedance means less current draw from injectors).

Here's a good explanation...

john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          High impedance injectors can be used in a low impedance system, but not the other way around. Low impedance means the circuit has less resistance (more of a "dead short") and will burn up the injector drivers in a high impedance system (high impedance means less current draw from injectors).

Here's a good explanation...

http://performancefuelsystems.com/In...TechCorner.htm
                          Good stuff
                          Thanks
                          Get your Injectors Cleaned HERE

Comment

Originally posted by MEPEH View Post
                            I've been servicing injectors here on r3vlimited for about 2-3 years and have always had this dilemma with using High Impedance injectors on a low impedance DME.

If that's no longer an issue, why not use the M3 E36 injectors 0280150440 rated 200cc at 3bar ?

I can sell those refurbished for 60$ a set and ship anywhere in the world for 25$
                            Why not just wire in a resistor pack?

This is factory on many toyota, Honda cars. Some models of the 2jz engine come with high and some come with low; it's common to wire in a resistor pack on the +12v input side of the injectors to adapt.
                            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

A good reason not to use E36 M3 injectors in your E30 M3.

Originally posted by MEPEH View Post

E36 M3 injectors are 0 280 150 701, and flow the same as the E30 M3 injectors (0 280 150 201) - 182.9g/min, and are indeed a straight swap - The later injectors can be used in the earlier car (but not the other way around), but the E36 M3 injectors will not vapourise the fuel like the 0 280 155 715 injectors I chose, and it's the quality of the fuel vapour that makes the difference.

Also, provided you're replacing low impedance injectors with high impedance injectors then a resistor pack will serve no other purpose than to raise the impedance further.

Best Regards,

Dave.

Comment

Bosch Gen III (EV6) injectors for S14 engines

Hi All,

We're another 14 months on from my last update, and rather than abandon the subject, I thought it a good idea to keep the forum apprised of goings-on on both sides of the pond.

BlackbirdM3 told me that the spark plugs on his M3 had become fouled - a problem that I later found that I had also. BlackbirdM3 asked if I thought slightly hotter plugs a good idea, and I said that for a standard road car, I didn't see why not. The talk of sparkplugs made me think, and after a lot of E28/E34 M5 base research, I decided to to the same. So, I removed the standard Bosch X5DTCs, and replaced them with set of Y6DCs.

However, there were a couple of unfortunate side-effects: My car developed a momentary stutter under moderate load at low RPM, and under light loads at low RPM power delivery became decidedly jerky. I put this down to a combination of the narrow (12 deg) spray cone angle of the 155715 injectors, and the reduced projection of the Y6DC plugs in comparison to the X5DTCs. If you look at Bosch's spark plug data, there's supposed to be no difference in projection between the two types, but putting the two side-by-side, there clearly is. Bosch sprk plug data HERE

Obviously, the jerky power delivery and fouled plugs are not good, so I went back the the injector data spreadsheet, to try to turn up an injector with a wider spray cone.

After a while I arrived at 0280156048, which has identical specifications to 0280155715, with the exceptions that it can take a retaining clip, it uses a USCAR connector plug, and it has a 15 degree spray cone as opposed to the 12 degree cove of the 155715 injector.

A quick search of e-bay turned up a flow-matched set from CS Performance injectors for $58 + shipping (cheap as chips !), and they arrived late last week. I fitted them on Saturday morning, and the way my car runs is once again looking promising. I'll run these for a while and let the forum know how things shape up in a few months.

Finally, in the course of all the above, I also found 0280155865 which is an identical specification to 0280156048, except that the flow is bifurcated into two streams - could be good for a multi-valve engine.... but later ! :)
                                Last edited by E30_Dave; 04-27-2016, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X