Granaded s52... help appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
    Use a micrometer not plastigauge. Its alot more accurate and you will get better readings.
    This would only apply if he is so inclined to wanting to and has the funds to afford an accurate reliable dial bore gauge and micrometer. (unless he can borrow some or has access to, then disregard my previous statement). Plasti-gauge will give you a fairly accurate reading. From the looks of it, you should be fine with standard bearings.

-Jasper

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

My work is all about engineering tolerances. I bought home my micrometer and a thickness gauge ;) .. but i have to figure out if my crank has ever been machined before. doubt it, but i don't know where this engine's been. All i know is that it came out of a wrecked m-roadster with 115k miles. It had coilovers, sways, i/h/e and a tree in the passenger seat.
      Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
      That gear was prob. still sort of spinning on the spline of the OP. Just enough oil for the intake cam and its little hood but not the exhaust cam.

Sorry to hear of the failure.
      yes incredible.. seems like the sprocket may have jumped on and off. The splines are not damaged, but there is some scoring sorrounding the splines from the shaft.

this engine should be running again in under a month if my possibly unrealistic timelines work out. I hope most of you took care of this during your swap.. or that it encourages the rest of the 24valvers to take off their dresses and get into their respective oil pans.
      No more e30s for me.
      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
      91 BMW 325i [sold]
      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

forgot to post.

Cyl #5 saw some contact. = gonner.
        at this point there's nothing pushing on these valves. they are stuck open :x

its a little worse than pictured.

:hitler:
        No more e30s for me.
        91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

It can be fixed. What are your plans now?

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Definitely can be fixed, glad its simple as that, I would have a shop check it out, as there's a good amount of markings on the bearings.

Comment

At least its only one cylinder......

Get some new valve seats cut. Some new valve stem seals. A quick milling. One new cam tray and cam, some replacement main bearings (if needed), and away you go.

I wear that shit down completely and inspect every little part.

Best of luck.
              Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
              Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
              Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Well, the engine is completely apart, I actually enjoyed tearing down this engine. It was very simple with the exception of the Vanos unit. I have no idea how I’m going to install it and time the engine properly -.-

As soon as my ‘new’ piston arrives (gotta love ebay ~ $80), I’ll ring it, hone and drop it in. Further analysis on the bearings themselves revealed a variance of 0.0005” from standard size con rod bearings, and 0.0002” from std size main bearings. So standard size it is and no regrind required.. I really am fortunate that there isn’t any other damage and don’t even need to turn my crank!!

Anyways, I should have this baby running in a week or so. I’m having a friend come over that studied at an IT to teach me about blue printing my block, he’ll do the hone and install the piston rings since I have none of the cool tools. Pelicanparts was kind enough to ship my parts extra extra fast as always and arrived yesterday.

No more e30s for me.
                91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Dude-get the correct timing tools for the cam. Don't rely on using the square ends of the cams and a straight edge. The "square" ends are not really square, and when the cam retaining tool is properly installed, the top sides of the square ends don't sit flat.

Look for ZDMAK tools on ebay. They have a kit of 4 or 5 tools needed for the job. Read through the Bentley and Pelican books more than a few times.

Comment

that guy definetly has great pricing on specialized tools.. thank you.
                    No more e30s for me.
                    91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

I'm glad of the progress... good luck when you get her running! thumbs up for sure!

'89 325i - Totaled... good bye my love...
                      '87 327i budget stroker - SOLD!!!
                      '92 240sx - ca18det powered drift toy - SOLD!!!
                      '89 325i - coupe - NEW daily
                      '96 Audi A6 Quattro- Grocery getter/baby hauler
                      '99 Busa - weekend wheelie monster

Comment

Originally posted by White325is View Post
                        Why only 7qts of oil? My M50 takes 8qts...
                        Sorry to see this happen. Sucks, but I have been through it also.

on a side note. I have 99k S52 cams and trays if your interested. :)
                        Dude, you're lucky that you're takes 8qts. Mine takes 9qts. lol. Draining it the same way you are also, with no external coolers.

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                        No idea. I bought the engine online feb 07 with 115k from a wrecked mcoupe.

I locktited the OPN during my swap. I don't have an oil pressure gauge, unfortunately. The cam gears, the chain and the intake cam are well-bathed in oil. I won't to rule out the nut as the cuase of failure though... this event probably suggests the whole engine/block/internals being shot.
                        Dang, never knew the OPN gets loose. Your engine is salvageable for the most part which is awesome. Goodluck!
                        I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
                        2875-C Towerview Road
                        Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

Originally posted by evil_twin View Post
                          Dang, never knew the OPN gets loose. Your engine is salvageable for the most part which is awesome. Goodluck!
                          salvage this :o

booya like a 15degree bend!

today i completely failed at being able to put the valve springs back on. either my tool (the one i used back in the day for my ae86's 4age 20v engine) sucks, or i suck. i couldn't get not 1 spring back on -.- i was only working on the two bent exhaust valves atleast and not the whole head.

well, there you go. enjoy.
                          No more e30s for me.
                          91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Damn! Thats crazy! But at least it's only 2 :)
                            I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
                            2875-C Towerview Road
                            Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

...and 24 more valve stem seals to go -.-
                              No more e30s for me.
                              91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Lol. If only you had the c clamp type valve spring compressor that uses compressed air. =/

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

Working...
                                X