No announcement yet.

Granaded s52... help appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the club - as I posted elsewhere on r3v, I just grenaded an 'unbreakable' S50 right around the 115kmi mark, two weeks ago. Rod #1 bearing seized, spun and that was all she wrote. Noone can explain WHY it happened.

Comment

^^ bummer. atleast you know where the problem is.
      Originally posted by 318isbmw View Post
      Doesn't sound like a pump nut to me, because if it were both of them should be bad, and by putting oil in the sump won't do anything once you start driving if the nut were off, would just get louder. I think you got a bigger problem, like possibly something causing the oil to not be getting to the top. Hows the bottom look, any spun bearings? If you ran it w/ no oil pump then your more than likely going to have several of them spun. I would for sure check all of that before I ran it again.
      my thoughts exactly. That OPN may still be on there and something can be causing blockage. The back of that exhaust cam (the last lobe) and the front (cam gear) are both drenched in oil. I want to understand oil delivery of this engine.

I will be extracting metal deposits in my oil pan this wed. Its good to have friends with hoists and engine stands
      No more e30s for me.
      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
      91 BMW 325i [sold]
      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Deff. get to the bottom of this and figure out what caused it.
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

That blows man. Good luck with the diagnosis. :(
          Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Oil starvation under hard cornering?
            1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by White325is View Post
              Why only 7qts of oil? My M50 takes 8qts...
              Do you have an oil cooler? The e34 525i calls for 5.75 L/6.1 qts. I usually do 7 qts in mine and thats slightly overfull. Wonder if you have the wrong dipstick..
              '91 318is
              sigpic

Comment

My ca18det did this two years ago...

You're gonna need a new block i think.... one of the oil passages are clogged man...

It could be over-use of RTV or some kind of gasket material....

Good luck man...

'89 325i - Totaled... good bye my love...
                '87 327i budget stroker - SOLD!!!
                '92 240sx - ca18det powered drift toy - SOLD!!!
                '89 325i - coupe - NEW daily
                '96 Audi A6 Quattro- Grocery getter/baby hauler
                '99 Busa - weekend wheelie monster

Comment

thank you, but not a chance man.
                  Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                  Oil starvation under hard cornering?
                  have not experienced something like this in two years of track. something must have changed.
                  Originally posted by e30polak View Post
                  That blows man. Good luck with the diagnosis.
                  Originally posted by Jean View Post
                  Deff. get to the bottom of this and figure out what caused it.
                  100% i'm taking no chance if decide to rebuild this engine. i'll throw it out if i find too much damage.

my friend didnt come through with the engine stand. i managed to remove the engine, get the tranny/clutch/fly, headers etc etc off to be able to look at the valves and prep for the dismantling.

the valves ALL look the same.. intake and exhaust. so either they're all bad or they're all good... this probably doesnt mean anything at this point. ex. that my valves are good. The exhaust valves have white deposit on them, like charred up oil/fuel, but a quick scrape with a toothbrush, the polish finish is revealed. This maybe good news. Haven't had time to look at the spark plugs and oil filter, i'm going to sleep. I work 8-10hour days.

upon taking off the exhaust i noticed that my resonator's baffle is floating in its casing completely broken off. This is a potential exhaust restriction. Probably a major one since my pass side floor boards were getting very hot. All this heat is bad news for the tranny that sits right next to this resonator :D. I don't have money to just make a new exhaust. I'll just cut it off and weld a pipe in its place..

no news on the OPN yet. some pics to enjoy meanwhile.

finishing up the race weekend

thanks for the help fellow r3vers.
                  No more e30s for me.
                  91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Hope you get that engine stand soon. If you were local I'd let you borrow mine as its just sitting under my garage cabinets dismantled and getting dusty.

Looks like you're literally 1 step away from seeing if this motor is salvageable or not. Hopefully it is.

Keep us updated!

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

^^ well thank you. i got it yesterday. Houston, we have a problem!

the OPN did indeed fall COMPLETELY off... and because i didnt know, i lapped like this AND troubleshooted the engine like this. I'm installing gauges, lesson learned F*****!

pictured as well are the bearing surfaces. The crank is smooth, but look at it. The bearing surfaces also look the same. The con rods *bearings* do have a more defined friction marking, although the crankshaft surface doesnt show wear.

Since i know nothing about these surfaces other than they are nice and shiny, how should i interpret this? Is machinning/resurfacing req or can i slap new bearings on them and call it a day? I'll start taking off the head today. Too bad i gotta go to CA all next week on business. I don't know if anyone here works(or is into) fuel cells. There's a badass seminar and conference in Palm Springs.

-etxx
                      No more e30s for me.
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

thats no fun. time to build it for boost :)

Comment

^^ still considering how "mild" i want this re*build* to be.
                          No more e30s for me.
                          91 BMW 325i [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                            Since i know nothing about these surfaces other than they are nice and shiny, how should i interpret this? Is machinning/resurfacing req or can i slap new bearings on them and call it a day? I'll start taking off the head today. Too bad i gotta go to CA all next week on business. I don't know if anyone here works(or is into) fuel cells. There's a badass seminar and conference in Palm Springs.

-etxx
                            My suspicion was correct. =/

As for the bottom end, you could probably get away with new bearings. I would just get the crank polished on the jounals. Just be sure to plasti gauge and assure your oil clearance.

Your bearings don't look that scored to me.

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

Use a micrometer not plastigauge. Its alot more accurate and you will get better readings.

www.gutenparts.com
                              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

That gear was prob. still sort of spinning on the spline of the OP. Just enough oil for the intake cam and its little hood but not the exhaust cam.

Sorry to hear of the failure.
                                Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                                Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                                Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Working...
                                X