No announcement yet.

IX M20 in non IX car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before this guy blows up his "new" engine, are you guys SURE this will work??

I ask because I remember back in the day when Pete McHenry bought a 325iX engine to stick into a 2002 and he ended up not being able to use it for a couple of reasons. One of the main ones IIRC was that the oil pump spins in the opposite direction on the iX, so he said that using the non-iX oil pump would not work because the pump would be turning in reverse- so it would pull the oil out of the oil passages and dump it into the pan instead of the other way around.

Just asking....I don't know for sure one way or another.

Comment

Idk if that's true or not but Rigmaster do u have an ix oil pan I could buy from u and a good head?

Comment

Fuck me, oil pressure relief valve is non existent on the IX. Blocks are different, if anyone wants an IX motor let me know!

Comment

wait so a normal m20 can not be swapped into a ix even with the ix oil pan?

Just had my car with 2 scam mechanics over the span of a year trying to "rebuild" my ix motor. Long story short got ripped off, have the car back with a Frankenstein motor and also trying to figure out if a normal m20 will fit into my ix.
          Girls, you can't be the first, but you can be next

325ix

Comment

Hm didn't know that gun. I had an extra block from an is in my garage for the longest time.

Comment

Originally posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
              Fuck me, oil pressure relief valve is non existent on the IX. Blocks are different, if anyone wants an IX motor let me know!
              drill+tap? lol I don't know what the oil pressure relief valve consists of.
              '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
              NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
              Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Shut up jaxx. where's ur m20? Derp Derp I have an m10 with megasquirt herpty Derp. My car is 16.88 seconds in the quarter mile. I bet u have a Volvo with a gay bypass valve that sounds like a queef.

Comment

IX motor doesn't work in an I car

Comment

Originally posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
                    IX motor doesn't work in an I car
                    that's what I always thought. Heads are the same though.
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Originally posted by matt0300 View Post
                      Idk if that's true or not but Rigmaster do u have an ix oil pan I could buy from u and a good head?
                      hehe, yeah, I've got an iX pan and a head (head is from a non-iX but there's no difference, THAT I know for sure....)...

Comment

Alot of BAD info in this thread. An I motor can be converted to work in an IX, however the opposite does not work. I personally have experience with the I/IX block dilemma. I own one of each and our '02 chump car has an I motor, that was converted for use in a IX, then converted back for our chump car.

Down to the details. Most of the info is already in this thread just scattered and with alot of untrue stuff in between. The obvious differences between an I and IX motor are the oil pan and motor mounts, you can see those by simply looking at it. Look very closely and you will see that the oil pans have a slightly differnt bolt pattern. Take the pan off and you will see the oil pumps and pick ups are different. What you can't really see are the internal differences in the pumps. The IX pump spins the opposite way of the I pump, additionally the IX pump has an internal pressure regulator, where as the I engine uses an external regulator.

So in order to convert an I motor to use in an IX the oil pump and pick up have to be swapped as well as the intermediate shaft and oil pump drive shaft. The I external pressure relief valve then has to be removed. Not sure of the best method of dealing with the big hole it leaves. I have heard of people just leaving it open. On our chump motor some kind of restrictor was put in there. Then the oil pans can be swapped, a few new holes will need to be drilled and tapped to allow the IX pan to work on the I block. Finally the motor mount arms need to be swapped and the dipstick tube needs to be bent.

The problem with swapping an IX motor into an I car is that there is no hole in the block for the external oil pressure relief valve. Since the relief valve is internal on the IX pump.

Comment

Originally posted by maniacmatt View Post
                          Alot of BAD info in this thread. An I motor can be converted to work in an IX, however the opposite does not work. I personally have experience with the I/IX block dilemma. I own one of each and our '02 chump car has an I motor, that was converted for use in a IX, then converted back for our chump car.

Down to the details. Most of the info is already in this thread just scattered and with alot of untrue stuff in between. The obvious differences between an I and IX motor are the oil pan and motor mounts, you can see those by simply looking at it. Look very closely and you will see that the oil pans have a slightly differnt bolt pattern. Take the pan off and you will see the oil pumps and pick ups are different. What you can't really see are the internal differences in the pumps. The IX pump spins the opposite way of the I pump, additionally the IX pump has an internal pressure regulator, where as the I engine uses an external regulator.

So in order to convert an I motor to use in an IX the oil pump and pick up have to be swapped as well as the intermediate shaft and oil pump drive shaft. The I external pressure relief valve then has to be removed. Not sure of the best method of dealing with the big hole it leaves. I have heard of people just leaving it open. On our chump motor some kind of restrictor was put in there. Then the oil pans can be swapped, a few new holes will need to be drilled and tapped to allow the IX pan to work on the I block. Finally the motor mount arms need to be swapped and the dipstick tube needs to be bent.

The problem with swapping an IX motor into an I car is that there is no hole in the block for the external oil pressure relief valve. Since the relief valve is internal on the IX pump.

Thanks for the good info. To me it sounds like while it may be possible, it's just NOT practical to convert from one to the other, unless you absolutely can't find the proper block to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigmaster View Post
                            Thanks for the good info. To me it sounds like while it may be possible, it's just NOT practical to convert from one to the other, unless you absolutely can't find the proper block to work with.
                            Pretty much dead on. Having undone the conversion on the motor for our chump car in the parking lot at the track in the middle of the night I can tell you it is do-able. However you are better off to just start with the proper block.

Comment

Originally posted by maniacmatt View Post

the only correct post in this entire thread!
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

bump from the dead, but, I felt bad about starting a new thread.

anyone have experience swapping an iX intermediate shaft into an I block? does it need to go to a shop to get fit? pushing in new IMS bearings and machining them sounds like a pain, but it's unclear if you can just pull one and pop the other in.
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X