Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      other project titles to consider:

project deathtrap?
      project firehazard? - actually better suited for the e90 -:)
      project kindling?

You just wait till it's finished...check back in like a year or two when I resurface again, lol

I was thinking project - I almost sold it and bought a Datsun but but nobody wanted it because who the f#$% would buy this car in the first place?

:firehop:

Comment

Took advantage of Garagistics sale yesterday and picked up their DSSR with a 10 degree twist. Really hoping to be able to drive it this weekend. I have some more stuff coming to kind of finish things off.

Untitled by Bob Terwiliger, on Flickr

Comment

Time for my regularly scheduled update, a new catalytic converter was welded to a mid pipe recovered from the local pick ur part and with some minor wiring I've finished up the exhaust portion of the BAR requirements.

Midpipe by Bob Terwiliger, on Flickr

Smog by Bob Terwiliger, on Flickr

I was able to make one decently working instrument cluster with a working check engine light. It was simple enough to wire up and satisfy the BAR requirements.

I have an appointment December 6th to see if I'll pass the inspection and smog process, hopefully I walk away with a sticker. This project is far from done but this will be a big step.

Here it is, shortly after driving it, yes, it does drive now and has a muffler and everything.

IMG_8435 by Bob Terwiliger, on Flickr
          Last edited by TheRob; 11-27-2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

good on you for rescuing this one from what is clearly an abusive household
            cars beep boop

Comment

Oh man, good luck with the BAR!
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                good on you for rescuing this one from what is clearly an abusive household
                Yeah, I couldn't live with myself if I left in the corner of that shop so I took a chance. There have been a few times where I've wanted to sell and cut my losses but I just said screw it and kept going. Just gotta get all my ducks in a row for the BAR Ref and should be ready to go, double and triple checking so I can maybe not make multiple trips to Fullerton...though there is a really good burger place near the college so it wouldn't be all bad

Comment

I daily a BAR'd M50 e30 if you have q's
                  cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                    I daily a BAR'd M50 e30 if you have q's
                    Thanks, appreciate the offer. I have all my emissions equipment in order, EVAP canister, purge valve, cat and a new 02 sensor all from an e36 325i. Working check engine light. I'm getting my engine bay sorted so it looks as clean as possible so it doesn't look like a half ass swap.

Is there anything specific they would fail me for outside of emissions equipment? I worked as a smog tech for a couple years but never as a ref but I was friends with the guy who works at Skyline college, he was pretty cool. I guess at this point I'm only concerned with passing tailpipe and the LPFET.

Also, how do you like the M50 in your e30? My goal isn't a lot of power, but more a reliable fun weekend car/occasional track day fun haver.

Comment

So, I achieved my goal of taking the car to radwood this year. It was great to actually have the car out on the road, its really well mannered on the freeway but it does need an alignment of course but tracks pretty straight. It is, of course, a bit loud inside the cabin due to the lack of any carpet/insulation but it was definitely tolerable. My next goal is to make the drive to the Norcal Radwood show, hopefully new wheels and a getrag that doesn't sound like its going to explode.

Radwood by Bob Terwiliger, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                      X