SCCA STX E30 Build/Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian F View Post
    Yep - read the swap rules in Street Prepared - you can swap within a model line, but not accross model lines within the same brand.

Gary, unfortunately your car as you described it above is definitely in Street Mod. One of the guys in the Philly region when I started a few years ago had a similar car: E36 rack with a warmed up M20. He did well locally when he was running it (sold it a few years ago to buy and prep a Miata R for ES, then sold that for grad school), but the competition was fairly even. It would be interesting to see how he would do against the current top SM car - a heavily modified Evo MR co-driven by two of the region's best drivers.

As far as running the car in STX or DSP, I've been practicing my shuffle-steering technique.
    What car are you driving in the Philly region now? Haven't seen much in the way of other E30s there.
    '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

.....As far as running the car in STX or DSP, I've been practicing my shuffle-steering technique.
      I have to teach this so I figured id make a video... Im going to make another with a better angle.

If this link works
      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

I still have the black '88 325is in my sig. Unfortunately, I've only made it to one event this year due to being ass-deep in renovating the g/f's house. Plus, it doesn't help that every time I take the car to an event, it seems to come back broken. :( Before this car I ran my '03 TDi wagon and a (now sold) white '07 MINI Cooper convertible in H-Stock.

I'm hoping to make it to more events next year.

Great video example. I've been trying to shuffle-steer more during my normal daily driving, but the rack in the VW is so much faster so I'm not sure how much it'll hep me in the E30. Still, I figure just getting into the habit should help some. Hopefully when the weather cools down a bit I'll drive the E30 to work more often (I think I've driven it maybe 300 miles this year). :down:
        '88 325is: Diamond Schwartz; 210K miles; Koni SA; H&R springs; poly bushings (sold)
        '03 TDi Wagon; 5 spd (Ho-hum DD; 326K miles and counting...)
        '64 Morris Mini Cooper (w/e vintage toy #1)
        '72 Triumph GT6 (w/e vintage toy #2)
        '73 Volvo 1800ES (future vintage restomod project)

Comment

Great video example. I've been trying to shuffle-steer more during my normal daily driving, but the rack in the VW is so much faster so I'm not sure how much it'll hep me in the E30. Still, I figure just getting into the habit should help some..... :down:
          Its safer way to drive in an airbag car. No arm over the wheel.
          Anyhoo
          I drive every car this way. GT500s Vetts shuffle steer FTW
          sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
          The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

I still have the black '88 325is in my sig. Unfortunately, I've only made it to one event this year due to being ass-deep in renovating the g/f's house. Plus, it doesn't help that every time I take the car to an event, it seems to come back broken. :( Before this car I ran my '03 TDi wagon and a (now sold) white '07 MINI Cooper convertible in H-Stock.

I'm hoping to make it to more events next year.
            Too bad, I think I've had mine to 4 or 5 Philly events this season. But I guess we haven't crossed paths yet.
            '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

Originally posted by Cinnabar325is View Post
              Too bad, I think I've had mine to 4 or 5 Philly events this season. But I guess we haven't crossed paths yet.
              Yeah, I'm bummed I haven't been out more this year. If you are free this weekend, do the next event. The courses they set up on the STU lot at CBP are usually a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I'll either be working on the house, prepping one of the cars for vacation, or doing a long, boring day trip up to Massachusetts...
              '88 325is: Diamond Schwartz; 210K miles; Koni SA; H&R springs; poly bushings (sold)
              '03 TDi Wagon; 5 spd (Ho-hum DD; 326K miles and counting...)
              '64 Morris Mini Cooper (w/e vintage toy #1)
              '72 Triumph GT6 (w/e vintage toy #2)
              '73 Volvo 1800ES (future vintage restomod project)

Comment

every day we shufflin. yea good example vid, Its definitly a good autocross technique I use as well. I find my hands coming off the wheel a tad more just because I like oversteering, even though I know its better to shuffle. Here's an old vid of mine http://youtu.be/tq8TWh-CmKc would you have done anything different at the 1 minute mark when my back end started to come out (I was running a welded diff at the time :)
                sigpic
                benvideoproductions.com
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617yNrOrRfo&

Comment

That's about what I would have done with it.

Personally I'm not a hug fan of shuffle steering, but you really don't have a lot of choice with our cars. I'm planning on swapping in an E36 rack over the winter to help out with that. Lol every time I jump in someone else's car for a fun run, I damn near knock over the first couple of cones because the turn-in is so much sharper.

Comment

I know how ya feel, One of the first things I did to my car was the e36 m3 rack, made a hell of a difference on slaloms
                    sigpic
                    benvideoproductions.com
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617yNrOrRfo&

Comment

Working...
                    X