e30 cabrio weight distrobution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 cabrio weight distrobution?

As meny of you know, e30 cabrios have their battery in the front of the car. However, this makes little sense to me. In the side of the trunk where the battery would go, bmw was kind enough to throw a 50 lb iron weight to suppliment the missing battery. I removed mine. So with the weight gone, where do you think would be the best spot for the battery? Under the hood or trunk? Does it even matter?

btw, i wasn't sure where to put this. mods: move it if you wish.

trunk
    http://www.decal-spec.com

Comment

Assuming the top is down, you have a shitload of weight in the back already..... the battery in the front is probably to counter that.
      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

My thinking is, if you have the 50lb weight in the rear and the battery up front, you can just take the weight out and replace it with the battery. That is what I did to no ill effect.

Aaron
        2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by aaron_silva
          My thinking is, if you have the 50lb weight in the rear and the battery up front, you can just take the weight out and replace it with the battery. That is what I did to no ill effect.

Aaron
          i disagree.. if you remove the weight from the trunk and replace it with a battery you are missing the inital weight of the battery up front. but, eh, idk.
          Build Threads:
          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

The reason for me is because I am adding weight up front. 8) Plus, I replaced the 50lb weight with a 30lb battery.

Aaron
            2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

I learn something new every day. I didnt know there was a bigass chunk of metal in the trunk :-o!

*edit* Oh boy I'm now a grease monkey :|

Comment

Its not mnuch a weight difference, get a full suspension to solve ur problems haha
                http://www.decal-spec.com

Comment

I would have to say the BMW Engineers knew what they were doing. Theres a reason the cabrios have different placement for the batteries.
                  Current BMW's:
                  2004 330Ci
                  1986 European 325i cabrio
                  1986 735i

Previous BMW's:
                  1989 325is RIP
                  1989 325iX RIP
                  2001 740iL RIP

Comment

Originally posted by mph
                    I would have to say the BMW Engineers knew what they were doing. Theres a reason the cabrios have different placement for the batteries.
                    I agree. Mine for some reason made a lot of noise when there were uneven surfaces in the pavement. Turns out that bracket it was sitting on collapsed.
                    Estoril E36 M3/4/5 | Toledo E53 X5 3.0 | LeMans E90 335D M-Sport

Comment

Originally posted by ToplessE30
                      Originally posted by mph
                      I agree. Mine for some reason made a lot of noise when there were uneven surfaces in the pavement. Turns out that bracket it was sitting on collapsed.
                      Ditto here. That is why it now sits on the floor of my garage. Took it out.
                      Current Cars
                      2014 M235i
                      2009 R56 Cooper S
                      1998 M3
                      1997 M3

Comment

I just removed mine as I reinstaled the stereo My Sirius receiver and disk changer now reside in the space.

P.S.

Last edited by parkerbink; 10-22-2005, 12:14 PM.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

while this thread is being revived, what 50lb weight are they talking about?

'88 325is
                          VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                          BMWCCA 380364

Comment

It is on the passenger side of the trunk near the opening under a metal cover.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

mine fell through the trunk floor and hit my driveway with a loud thump. now i have a hole.....
                              Live Fast. Drive Faster.

"Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD... :)
                              You wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences :(

Comment

Working...
                              X