is an e30 right for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is an e30 right for me?

I am a relatively new driver, just driving for over a year and a half. ive been driving a 92 volvo 240 haha. I have basic car mechanics but im still pretty much uneducated. i can change my oil and a spare LOL. I would like to learn how to service my own car so I can have the knowledge later though. Well im looking for a daily driver, and narrowed it between an e30 and an integra. Id rather get euro than jdm. i drive alot of jdms, and i much prefer euros, so im leaning toward the e30. I love beamers, and the e30 looks like a fun car, but i am worried its going to eat up my money quickly. I dont really have a lot of money to spend on my car for repairs, so i need something reliable. Im scared of buying a 25 year old car and wasting money. so should i give in and buy an e30. :???:

for all of you who didnt wanna read all that.
    i want an e30. is it reliable for daily driving without breaking bank?

sure. mine's never left me standed and i beat the shit out of mine.
    sigpic

Comment

My friend has an 88 240 and thats basically what got me into old euro's. His car is simple as shit and so easy to get to everything on the engine. While the e30 is a smaller car and usually has a bigger engine stuffed in, things are still pretty basic. My e30 is my first car and I bought it becuase many things can be done without taking it to the mechanic if you dont mind getting your hands dirty. I'd say an e30 is a great first car if you are fine with putting some (not alot) of money and geting your hands dirty from time to time. The biggest thing is finding an e30 in good condition. Spend as much time researching them ahead of time and taking your time and going and test driving a few so you dont regret gettting that one later.

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
        sure. mine's never left me standed and i beat the shit out of mine.
        alright i have test drove a few e30s, but all of them were too cosmetically messed up, what should i look for when i test out a old one that im going to buy. I read that the timing belt and water pumps need maintainance every 40k miles i think?

Comment

cosmeticly e30s will mess up a lot, mechanicly they're bullet proof.
          sigpic

Comment

I've found that some of the ones I've test drove had bad wheelbearings either the front or rears. The fronts while kinda spendy are relatively easy to replace, the rears are more involved. And another item that seems to be ignored is the vacuum hoses. Those are some of the most common items I've run into. Besides the usual tuneup stuff.

Comment

where is the best place to look for a e30? ive been craigslisting for a few weeks, and theres not much out there.

Comment

an e30 is never the wrong choice

]Real sht

Comment

craigslist for months and you will find the right one.

Comment

Keep an eye on craigslist and on here. Also look for rust.

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
                      cosmeticly e30s will mess up a lot
                      what does this even mean?

for a 17 year old id think any 20+ year old car wouldn't be a great daily, but that's just me. you'll spend all your time and money trying to keep it running, assuming you get an example that i'd imagine would be in your price range.

i know that goes against the clouded judgment of most people on this site (there are other cars besides e30s??), but it really depends on your needs. e30s are awesome cars, but they are older cars, period. you want a fun weekend/project car? e30 all day, i love mine.

you want something to reliably get you back and forth to high school and track practice on a shoe string budget? buy a civic.
                      8380 Laboratories
                      M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Coming from a Volvo 240, you'll feel right at home in an e30. Although not uncommon, e30s are different enough that you will not see yourself at every Wendy's parking lot on a Saturday night. On the flip side, there are enough owners who are more than willing to help you when you need it. I found the JDM crew are too busy glaring at each other and arguing over who has the best turn signals, etc. E30s are generally easy to work on as well, so it's a great car to sink your teeth on when getting into the DIY stuff.

I have had a ton of cars in my lifetime, and so far my e30 is my favorite. Although I have never owned an Integra...I find many JDM cars boring and common.

Comment

You live in Socal, PM a few guys and see if they will help you locate one in your area. Just find one that is not rusty and go for the newer body style. I love my e30s at times they have pissed me off with the fact they are 25 years old. But buy a bentley manuel and you are set. Read, learn ask questions! that is how it is done.

I got a feeling so welcome to r3v!
                          ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                          ~ '87 535
                          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by E30 F34R View Post
                            You live in Socal, PM a few guys and see if they will help you locate one in your area. Just find one that is not rusty and go for the newer body style. I love my e30s at times they have pissed me off with the fact they are 25 years old. But buy a bentley manuel and you are set. Read, learn ask questions! that is how it is done.

I got a feeling so welcome to r3v!
                            Bentley Manuel? Funny but Bentley doesn't sound like a spanish name.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

e30s are great cars, I'm 16 and rocking one. And just finished a tranny swap;)

And never. ever. evereverever go near something with rust:p

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Working...
                              X