Help me pick my SCCA class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick my SCCA class

So yesterday I got my ass kicked in STS at the last SCCA autocross of the season. Talking to some guys there, they said G-stock would be a good bet. I am not too fond of no spring upgrades, and I'd basically have to buy a set of R-compounds to be competitive. I know I am a really shitty driver, and that had everything to do with my performance yesterday, but can E30's be competitive in STS? Are there any suggestions besides STS and G-stock?

Edit: I just looked up the rules and it looks like G-stock is for 318's and 325e's, a 325i would be in D-stock.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Assuming that you have a limited slip diff., you cannot compete in STS. Only certain types of limited slip is allowed, ours are not one of them. :down:
    -Brandon
    '86 325es S50
    '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
    '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
    '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
    S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

I have a 4.10 open.

RISING EDGE

Comment

The cars to beat in STS are the barely 2k+ Honda civics, that with the appropriate mods are making close to 140 hp. You're gonna have a hard time getting a 2800 pound e30 on street tires to keep up with that.

I've been screwing around in STX for about 2 years now, and this car is still a bit of an underdog compared to the WRX's & Type R's. Granted, I've been too cheap to pick up a bigger set of wheels, and am still running 195 tires. Going up against a car with 60+ more HP, 245 tires & AWD that weighs the same, there's a bit of a disadvantage. The best fit for these cars seems to be DSP. Which, as you mentioned, pretty much guarentees you the need for R compounds. Same with the stock classes.

Basically, I'd say stick with STS for now, work on the driver. Ideally, with funds increasing, I'd say pick up an LSD & Run DSP.

-Charlie
        Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
        '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
        FYYFF

Comment

Teej, you want my 225/50-15 R compound tires? FREEI dunno how to get them down there, I don't have any summer vacation plans, but maybe people traveling could help piggy-back them down to you. Or just pay for shipping. (Probably like $50-60)

But you could have an idea, or some practice on R compounds before throwing down big bills for them.

Could you run 15" OEM 'weaves in stock class? Or any wheels? Steal Erick's Koseis......

Comment

I think I am going to end up running in DSP, which allows any tires/wheels. I remember you giving away those R-compounds, I just wish I had 15" rims already. I think when I get the money, if you haven't given them away, I would like to give you the money to ship them to me. I could get some cheap Euro baskets or maybe even some Team Dynamics rims for the track.

RISING EDGE

Comment

if the offer for the tires is still open they might fit my wheels, ill need to check the size

Comment

Originally posted by Schnell 318
                if the offer for the tires is still open they might fit my wheels, ill need to check the size
                You going to use R-compounds on the street?

RISING EDGE

Comment

Anyone can have the R compounds. They don't have that a whole lot left in them, but would sure be fun to test out on auto-X.

I got too many fucking tires. - 17 total, and 13 wheels. HELP!

Comment

Could you use R comps with stock suspension? I've heard that you can do some serious suspension damage running R's without a beefed up suspension.

-Clayton

Comment

STS gives you a better PAX index than DSP, if you care about that.

Until you're competitive though, it doesn't really matter what class you run in.

R-compounds won't do suspension damage. It'll get pushed to the limits a little more (the car will be pretty damn capable), but it's not gonna like make your shocks explode or something.

Comment

What's a PAX index?

RISING EDGE

Comment

Working...
                        X