No announcement yet.

Poor heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

muuris, the temp dial is the temperature control knob to the left of the sliders in the hvac control region of the dashboard. A dial is another word for knob. Not a gauge or sensor or whatever

The temp dial (in the picture you quoted from me btw) is what governs the heater control valve. The same valve you've deleted.

If you didn't know, there was a recall for bmw in america which added another temp cutoff in place of the heater hose that flows from the t stat housing to the heater core inlet. It's a temp sensitive valve designed to cut off heat to the heater core in the event the engine overheats. This can fail and could cause problems similar to what the OP is having. I thought you knew about it but apparently you didn't...

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Ok guys, here’s an update....

So I took the console out and the valve is working, heater core gets nice and hot, no obvious issues with ducting being disconnected.

What I did discover is my recirc button wasn’t working. I monkeyed around with it and got it to work, and when it is on I get good heat from my dash vents and no cold air leaking through the direction control slider slots. My windows fog up though, which I was able to counteract by opening up the defrost slider.

So I was pretty satisfied with my heat on a quick test drive with the only change being a working recirc button.
      89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Nice! Always glad for an easy fix!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          ..A dial is another word for knob. Not a gauge ...
          Haha, sorry, my bad :mrgreen:

If you didn't know, there was a recall for bmw in america which added another temp cutoff in place of the heater hose that flows from the t stat housing to the heater core inlet. It's a temp sensitive valve designed to cut off heat to the heater core in the event the engine overheats. This can fail and could cause problems similar to what the OP is having. I thought you knew about it but apparently you didn't...
          Didn't know, as I'm not very familiar to America-only recalls and I haven't heard of similar recalls in Europe. I wrote about the "valve in system originally", I don't count recalls, they're not updated in ETM etc.

The main important is that the op got his heat issue solved :)
          1986 325iX
          2006 530xd

Comment

Thanks again for all the help guys!

I would say my heat issue is better, but not solved.

Getting the recirc switch to work is definitely giving me more heat, but I still think there is an issue.

I dont think its normal to need the fan speed at 4, heat maxed, and recirc switch on (and fighting fogging windows) for my entire 20 minute drive to work (outside temp was 10 degrees this morning).

I may try to bleed again, although I have done that 3 times now with no change.

Das Delfin.....is there any way to check that recall temp cut off valve, or is it something you would just replace?

Thanks!
            1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Have you measured your temps. at all of your hoses? If it is running too cold try an E36 88 degree stat. until spring

Comment

Dont think its the thermostat, temp gauge gets just about to 12 o'clock position and hoses feel hot to touch.
                1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Here's the problem I found with my recirc doors:

I *may* have posted somewhere here on R3V, but couldn't find it in a five minute search.

You can pull the blower motor out and access the recirc doors directly.

Comment

muuris, the temp dial is the temperature control knob to the left of the sliders in the hvac control region of the dashboard. A dial is another word for knob. Not a gauge or sensor or whatever

The temp dial (in the picture you quoted from me btw) is what governs the heater control valve. The same valve you've deleted.

If you didn't know, there was a recall for bmw in america which added another temp cutoff in place of the heater hose that flows from the t stat housing to the heater core inlet. It's a temp sensitive valve designed to cut off heat to the heater core in the event the engine overheats. This can fail and could cause problems similar to what the OP is having I thought you knew about it but apparently you didn't...
                    Sorry to keep revisiting this thread but I am really struggling with lack of heat. Now that we are having this wicked cold snap with temps below zero, the ix is basically undriveable due to the poor heat.

I’m wondering if the culprit is this “recall valve” as noted by Das Delfin. I would like to eliminate the valve to see if that restores my heat.

I’m struggling with what hose I need to use to replace the hoses used to add in the heater valve. Any help with that would really make my day!

Thanks guys!!
                    1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post
                      Sorry to keep revisiting this thread but I am really struggling with lack of heat. Now that we are having this wicked cold snap with temps below zero, the ix is basically undriveable due to the poor heat.

I’m wondering if the culprit is this “recall valve” as noted by Das Delfin. I would like to eliminate the valve to see if that restores my heat.

I’m struggling with what hose I need to use to replace the hoses used to add in the heater valve. Any help with that would really make my day!

Thanks guys!!
                      I would go to parts store a get a flushing kit I think 5/8 hose size and replace the valve first with the "T" to see if it solves the issue(plug the small hose with a bolt temporarily). Then look for the replacment hose

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                      Angus
                      88 E30M3 X2
                      89 325IX
                      92 R100GS/PD
                      :)

Comment

Originally posted by spdracrm3 View Post
                        I would go to parts store a get a flushing kit I think 5/8 hose size and replace the valve first with the "T" to see if it solves the issue(plug the small hose with a bolt temporarily). Then look for the replacment hose

That’s a great suggestion, thanks spdracrm3!
                        1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

So I removed the recall valve using the Prestone flush kit. Boy, that was fun....

Refilled and bled the system and after an extended drive in 2 degree weather, I hate to say, not much difference.

I get some heat with the recirc button pressed, less with it released. With the temp dialed maxed, and fan on 4, it’s acceptable but not hot by any means.

Am I just expecting too much from a car designed in the 80’s? Anybody from the arctic north car to weigh in with how their heater responds in this type of cold?
                          Attached Files
                          1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

They ran the IX's on the Alcan 5000 rally up above the artic circle and in temps of -30F with no heat issues I'm thinking it has to be something in the heater box causing air to bypass the heater core or possibly a plugged core, bad valve now. Have you tried measuring temp at the core with an infrared tool?

Angus
                            88 E30M3 X2
                            89 325IX
                            92 R100GS/PD

Comment

Might be time to pull the heater core and check flow thru it and also make sure temp blend door which sits right above the core is working properly

Angus
                              88 E30M3 X2
                              89 325IX
                              92 R100GS/PD

Comment

Thanks again for the response Angus!
                                Previous owner put in new heater core and valve just a few hundred miles ago for what it’s worth.
                                I don’t have an infrared tool but may get one for further diagnostics.
                                How hard is it to get to the blend door? I would probably check that next.
                                1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Working...
                                X