No announcement yet.

OEM vs Quaife Differnential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TJ, why didnt you install a brand new engine and tranny in your car when you decided to change from an Auto?
    I am very cheap too, thats not what I was implying.

Why do you think I have been on 3 different suspension setups, and I am still not happy? :)

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

No you didnt imply it, you said it plainly. It should be a given that money doesnt grow on trees or I for one would be driving a 280GTO. I have to settle for the few joys I can afford, as do other members.

Spending more on an engine than I did on a car doesnt make me in any way better, just dumber. Maybe the cheap ones have it right.
      Im now E30less.
      sigpic

Comment

Re: OEM vs Quaife Differnential

Originally posted by natorious
        being that i started as a VW nut and kinda fell into BMW land

when i think LSD i think Quaife

why does nobody run their diffs over the oem diff seems they are the holy grail of diffs for the vw crowd... but being that they are front drivers i am guessing that has something to do with it...

whats the difference between a helical quaife style one and the oem ones.. what type are the oem... what advantage does either have

and yeah i am aware that quaife are alot more $$$
        I'm in the same boat as you, long time dubnut about to get an E30. I know alot about vw trannies (I rebuild them all the time) and the biggest reason people swear by the quaife/peloquin for the vw's is that there is simply no oem substitute. ALL vw trannies are fully open diffs (some have like a 2-5% lock tops, but nothing like the bmw lsd's).

I'm wondering the same question about the e30 diffs, like what cars have what lsd's, and if the oem unit is better. Once i get a car, I plan to rebuild the diff with new clutches, learn how to play around with the different preloads, see how I like it and go from there.

Dumitru

Comment

I will second Jim Blanton. He is the man and he builds some mean ass diffs.
          Ian

Comment

one advantage that i HEARD about quaife diffos is that it comes with lifetime warranty. Even if you have the intention to make your car a track rat.

I only say this because my friend has one in his '04 rsx-s, and has told me he has this unlimited warranty when he purchased a quaife helical differential.

dont' know if it applies everywhere else.

Comment

If you want a torsen style or high quality lockup diff then you can also look at getting one from an M coupe, it bolts right up. I have a torsen 3.23 from an M coupe and it works almost too well as I can hardly spin the tires (a 170k m20 and sticky rubber doesn't help for burnouts either). I believe many of these style diffs go for about 600-700 from what I hear anyways.

Comment

Comment

www.diffsonline.com ;)
                  Dan

Comment

I spent a few years in the honda camp, back before it was so much of a "thing". The quaife diff is awesome. Like most here, I have no personal knowledge of them in BMW's but it changed the handling characteristics of my honda night/day. Yes, Quaife's come with a lifetime warranty, regardless of usage. If it blows up, you pull it out and send it back. They send you a new one.

Keep in mind that aside the the statistical anomaly, quaifes DONT blow up. Easy warranty to backup for them. ;)

If I had the cash now, like i did back then, I wouldn't think twice about buying a quaife.

For what it's worth, wheel lift and diffs have always been a mixed bag with rear drivers. Ask the miata crowd, ask the S2000 crowd..... sooner or later everyone suffers from it a little. The advantages still far outweigh that occasional downside got most.

Comment

found this one for an E30 for 700euro's with 75%LS ;)
                      if you look you'll find those for a good price

1989 E30 318iS_______________________________1989 E30 325iC M-Technic I
                      1997 E36 328iT
                      1990 E30 325iT 24v SOLD
                      1989 E30 325i 2.7i M-Technic II SOLD

Comment

Working...
                      X