"For My next Trick..." - Your Humble President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"For My next Trick..." - Your Humble President

Anyway, looks like the time spent in school, in front of the TV, and on the internet is not getting the Indoctrination Procedure completed fast enough, or this is just the next stage.

For this generation of students to remain competitive with their international peers as adults, they need to start spending more time in school. This week President Obama proposed that American school children extend their time in class, either by lengthening the school day, or spending less time on summer vacation. “We can no longer afford an academic calendar designed when America was a nation of farmers who needed their children at home plowing the land at the end of each day,” Obama said. He continued to say “That calendar may have once made sense, but today, it puts us at a competitive disadvantage. Our children spend over a month less in school than children in South Korea. That is no way to prepare them for a 21st century economy.”
    In fact, American children spend the least amount time in the classroom when compared to other countries. Currently, the school year length in the States is 180 days. Advocates are pushing further toward a 200-day school year, which would align with Thailand, Scotland and the Netherlands, and leave us a close second with Israel, South Korea and Japan, who leads with a 243-day school year.
    via MSN Encarta

This comes as Obama makes it very clear that education is on his hot-list of priorities. He admits the notion of spending more time in school is not “wildly popular”, but necessary.
    He was applauded for his breadth of knowledge regarding the public education system in the U.S. He cited that one-third of the 13- and 14-year-olds in our country cannot read at an appropriate level for their age, and that the eighth grade curriculum is two years behind competing nations. He says the part of the problem is our “race to the bottom” mindset, wherein states are comfortable with lower standards for students.
    Obama and his Secretary of Education Arne Duncan are truly advocates for a superior education system than that we’ve previously and currently known. It’s imperative that states use the stimulus package money to rebuild curriculum, increase teacher pay, improve school conditions, offer newer technologies to students and even extend the school year to ensure that this generation can not only keep up with their international peers, but even surpass them in the professional environment of the coming decades.
    Has anyone else heard anything else about this?

I'd venture it has more to do with teaching to the LCD/indoctrinate on the good of gov't vs how much time is spent in school.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

wait... so... more education is a bad thing? Honestly?
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        Spending more time in an OBVIOUSLY failing institution is a good thing? Honestly?

The system now does not work, why spending more time without fixing the system will net better results is a mystery to me.

First thing that has to go is Teacher's Unions, Harvard released a study awhile back regarding that subject. The conclusion was that would be the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to drastically improve education.
        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
          this statement shows you dont get it
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

The end of "tenure", especially in the public sector of education should fix most of our ills.

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

No, more education is not a bad thing, but the extra's that will undoubtedly be taught will be not based in knowledge, but in placing ideologies and mentalities that have nothing to do with core "education" based teaching.

It is your parents responsibility to help in the early childhood development and teaching, not the Education Complex. Even though I know it sounds stupid what I'm saying, there is supposed to be a disconnect. It takes a Village to raise a child, not it takes a building full of mouthpieces spouting "Systematic Principles" to raise a child.

Comment

Sounds good to me as long as those extra 20 days are spent on math and science and they cut the welfare budget to pay for it. Also, getting rid of unions is a good idea as well because then the teachers will actually have to show some positive results as opposed to getting by with the bare minimum and passing on half their duties to teaching assistants.

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
                  Sounds good to me as long as those extra 20 days are spent on math and science and they cut the welfare budget to pay for it. Also, getting rid of unions is a good idea as well because then the teachers will actually have to show some positive results as opposed to getting by with the bare minimum and passing on half their duties to teaching assistants.
                  Yeah well if they were not babysitting all the little shits, rather than being able to do their jobs. Then When conferences come around the non involved parents bring a lawyer to intimidate the teach and contest why Johny has a B rather than an A .

My mom is a teacher and has to deal with this shit, ans says its more babysitting than teaching and the kids get worse every year as the schools are being used as surrogate parents and Free babysitting.
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

I really shouldn't comment to be honest, I was a horrible student.

Comment

Originally posted by LBJefferies View Post
                      I really shouldn't comment to be honest, I was a horrible student.
                      dont feel bad me too, I was bored all the time

Just that there is much banging on teachers for not getting results, but really its more to do with parents and the mentality of them that has the most to do with it. In the bigger cities there is little value placed on education in the home (as the govt will pay for everything for you if you are a fuck up) and that translates into the classroom.

When my mom has kids that refuse to do their work, or just blow it off by being retarded they have to write a letter to their parents why they were not doing their work.

William Pitt-

Comment

Quality over quantity.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

And we wonder why we're falling behind everyone else in the world when it comes to educating our children....

Comment

Kids these days are not just dumb, they're stupid.

This is the next generation. These people will be reproducing, running the cities and will be responsible for your health care and needs. Scary isn't it?

School 365 days a year plz.
                            Last edited by Raxe; 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

oh, I see where you're getting this whole anti-education vibe from. http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201009010042
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                              X