Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

reCAPTCHA on the account registration fields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep... we delete them and ban the offenders as quickly and as often as we can.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

How about an extra bonus 100 posts for most spam reports lol
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I think you've already won. ;)

Comment

most of the time i post when i'm 6-9 hours ahead...spend to much time on the road
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Installed a modification and was able to get ReCaptcha running, lets see what happens.

Comment

Deleted 27 spammers this morning (7:20am) 25 of them where in general discussion.

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

I just deleted 12 more.

Comment

unfortunately I don't think a recaptcha is going to help. traditionally spammers were just robots, but I'm pretty sure these are real people in china/india etc. that get paid to post spam.

plus, most recaptchas aren't actually effective against robots anyway. the weaker ones can be read by the bot or even bypassed with brute force, they are often only 3-4 characters which really isn't much.

unfortunately I think the spammers are effective even though we ban them constantly. I'm not even sure banning them is worth the time, most only post once or twice anyway before creating a new account. And I see a lot of their posts get views and I presume people are clicking on their links at least some of the time.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

There has to be something to prevent them. This forum is by far the worst I have seen when it comes to spam. I am not blaming the moderators, I know you guys work extremely hard delete all their shit. There has to be a way to make it easier on you.

It's obviously the worst at night/early morning, where I am assuming most of the moderators are asleep. But while I'll be cruising these forums where you'll have nearly a full page of spam at midnight-2am, a site like pro-touring.com or expeditionportal.com doesn't have any (that I have seen). They both seem to be big sites with lots of traffic, so what is that they are doing different from us?
                    Originally posted by Sonny
                    I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
                      There has to be something to prevent them. This forum is by far the worst I have seen when it comes to spam. I am not blaming the moderators, I know you guys work extremely hard delete all their shit. There has to be a way to make it easier on you.

It's obviously the worst at night/early morning, where I am assuming most of the moderators are asleep. But while I'll be cruising these forums where you'll have nearly a full page of spam at midnight-2am, a site like pro-touring.com or expeditionportal.com doesn't have any (that I have seen). They both seem to be big sites with lots of traffic, so what is that they are doing different from us?
                      Newer forum software for one.. my issue is figuring out the darn CSS.

I may try bringing us up to VB 3.8.X which will open up a few doors, but being on 3.7.X has us limited at the moment.

Comment

When you did this last night. I usually have around 10 to delete at my lunch (2:30am) but there was none to be found till I got home.

1992 BMW 325iC
                        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Enabled another layer as well.. had some time and modified a plugin to tie into http://www.stopforumspam.com/

Comment

Thanks you guys.
                            Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                            Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                            Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                              Enabled another layer as well.. had some time and modified a plugin to tie into http://www.stopforumspam.com/
                              Excellent, thanks James!

I just deleted 4 posts from 3 spammers. That may be an all-time record low for me at this time of day.

Comment

Got on r3v this morning and was like. Is this real life??? Good work James and other mods take them pos spammers out

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                                X