Help me with spring rates-Turbo 24v swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me with spring rates-Turbo 24v swap

Hey Guys, I am finally at the point in my build where I need to decide on suspension components so that I can better dial in my wheel/tire choice, fender flares, etc. I have decided that for what I intend to do, I definitely need to go the coilover route since I plan on doing 9" wide or wider wheels with fender flares, and I can pretty much guarantee I am going to need the adjustability to dial in my height to accommodate.

That being said, my car is a little different being that I have swapped in an m52 with a turbo on it. I imagine that will change the weight bias vs the m20, and even an m20 turbo. I intend the car to be a weekend/track car as it is fully gutted as it stands, partial cage, no a/c. I was considering Fortune Auto coilovers as they seem to be the best of what I can find aside from GC which want an arm and a leg if you want things like caster/camber plates. That being said I am open to anyone's suggestions as to something better.

Knowing all this, what spring rates should I ask for? I don't think the standard rates will be what I want being that my car has a heavier motor with a top mount turbo now, and on top of that the rest of the car is gutted, albeit with a partial cage.

Thoughts on good spring rates?

Didn't think I was going to find my answer, but I think I may already have. Just noticed a few threads down someone posted about having a 24v turbo car on 450lb front, 650lb rear springs. I'll probably stick with that unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Comment

I'd think any respectable vendor would have some knowledge on this.
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

You would think. It does also seem like the market has left the e30 behind at this point too, producing products or adapting them almost as an afterthought. I mean, there are really only 3 coilover manufacturers that I can find making systems for the e30 at this point (aside from what I would consider bottom barrel ex. raceland). Plus in my experience whenever you ask anyone a question that isn't the norm (like having a gutted car, heavier motor, turbo kit, etc.) it goes beyond their tested data and people tend not to want to answer those types of questions for fear of being wrong.

I'll probably give any vendor I order from a call beforehand, but feedback on what people are actually using is helpful.

Comment

Those rates will be ok for a street/track compromise... A little soft for the track but if you mean track as in drift then it won't really matter too much.
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

no drifting in my future aside from messing around on the street sometimes...

I have been thinking more and more about 10k front, 12k rear. Fortune auto recommended swift springs as an upgrade at this spring rate, but i'm not sure if it's worth the extra up front.

Comment

I ran 600 front a 950 rear to control squat. The rear would completely compress to the bumpstop without a stiffer spring. Ironically enough my old springs will be up fro sale soon.
              1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
              5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Comment

Working...
              X