Tall oil filter housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tall oil filter housing?

Anyone swap on one of the e36/m42 "tall" oil filter housings?

Straight bolt on?

Used parts like that are getting ridiculously cheap - and I'm wondering if the increased filter volume/surface area is worth-while.

Thoughts?
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

another reason I ask this is because I have two of the tall filters which were accidentally shipped to me some time ago.
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Cost of filter vs cost of filter housing. that's a tough one man. Let us know what you decide.

And no, it doesn't make much difference. choice of filter? all the difference. if it's FRAM filter, well...

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
      Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

I swapped one onto my built M42 just because it looks like the M44 style filter has more surface area. And I figured that since I swapped an M44 timing case on there, I might as well swap the M44 filter housing on too. I doubt that it makes any real difference though.

If you do swap it, get some Permatex Ultra Grey RTV and apply a THIN coat to both of the surfaces that the paper gasket mates to. DO NOT GET IT ANYWHERE NEAR THE ROUND HOLE! That is the clean oil outlet, and a chunk of RTV could clog a lifter or main bearing. The paper gasket side is all "dirty" and the RTV won't make it past the filter. Anyway, the point is that doing this will keep it from leaking oil all over the place, since that area is notorious for leaking oil. Let it cure for 24 hours before running the engine and make sure to clean all of the oil off of the surfaces with alcohol or acetone first.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
        X