freshened up m42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

freshened up m42?

so im about to buy another m42 to put into a blown 318is i just bought. i was just wondering what maintance i should do while the motor is out? i got alhold of condor about bushings but im talking more about the motor. should i do the profile gasket? all new hoses? water pump? just give me the rundown of refreshing a m42. thanks guys.

Oil filter housing gasket and o-ring. This was the first thing to go after I replaced my blown m42. I would do anything close to the back of the engine and between the engine and trans like rear main seal and some seals in the trans. Basically just anything that will be a pain to get to once its in the car.

I bought my m42 and g240 with a reported 150k on them both pulled out of a running but rear ended car. The first thing to leak was the oil filter gasket like I said. Next was the drain plug because I lost the little washer that goes on it. Next was the out put shaft seal in the g240. Hope this helps.
    sigpic

Comment

haha im looking for more like a list of parts lol. also where can i get the profile gasket?

Comment

I would change all the timing chain tensioner bits... if not the chain and sprockets.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

ok. is the profile gasket super nessasary to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Chriskbmx View Post
            ok. is the profile gasket super nessasary to do?
            Yes it likes to leak. I'd just do it all when it's out of the car.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

is it real hard to do?

Comment

not really, and it's a lot easier to do out of the car.

I'd still do the tensioner rails.

You're already in there... and when they break, they make a mess.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                X