Dropping the subframe with the front jacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropping the subframe with the front jacked

Newbie question: is it safe to try to drop the front subframe of an iX with only the front end on jack stands? My plan is to use an engine hoist, and I'm wondering if there's a way to do this safely and without damaging the bracket, etc. TIA.

PS. The only reason for all this is a faulty oil pressure sensor. So if you know of a better way to get at that on an iX, please let me know.

You mean you plan to use an engine hoist to support the engine and use jack stands on the body?

You realize you can use jack stands on the drivetrain too, right?
    AWD > RWD

Comment

You really want an engine support bar for this one, but a hoist will work, although will probably require hood removal. You're not going to hurt an engine lift bracket if that's the bracket you mean. Doing what you plan should work, but be absolutely certain the rear end is chocked.

Comment

Get one of these...

Amazing deals on this 1000Lb Engine Support Bar at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

..totally worth the $70

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was concerned about what the car not being level could possibly do to the lift bracket, or if I could safely keep the engine supported with the car at an angle. I am planning to use the HF support bar (thanks, Seawolf).
          Now I'm wondering if the angle could create a problem for me when trying to lift and reattach the subframe. Does the car need to be level to reattach it? TIA.

Comment

Angles make everything harder to align, but you will work through it. Get clever, but be smart with your jack usage and you will have a fairly easy time.

Comment

Originally posted by mrob View Post
              Now I'm wondering if the angle could create a problem for me when trying to lift and reattach the subframe. Does the car need to be level to reattach it? TIA.
              No, the HF engine support is a very sturdy unit, you can adjust the width so the feet sit on the inner fender. Wrap the chain with some thick cloth to prevent oil pan gouging and adjust the height to hold the engine, it won't go anywhere.

Disconnect the rear hoses to the heater matrix to prevent damaging it.

Once you have the engine securely supported, just drop the x-member. When you're done refit the x-member to the engine and use a pry bar or whatever to realign the x-member bolt holes with the frame rails - use blue threadlock on the bolts.

Front to rear angles (e.g. with the front of the car jacked) wont make any real difference, the engine support and tranny mounts will hold it in place. If your jacking to an extreme angle then chock the engine with a block of wood between the head and firewall to help keep the engine in place. If you are jacking laterally (one side of the car higher than the other) again use chocks to hold it - bolt line up will be a little trickier.

Finally, grease the engine support height adjuster threads before you use it.

Might be a good idea to replace your tranny mounts when you're done.

Comment

I just replaced my oil pressure sensor and i didn't have to drop the subframe. Is this an ix only thing? The sender is right below the oil filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                sigpic
                1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
                I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Working...
                X