Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone want to talk about E36’s with me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 are still cheap

especially well maintained ones (the M3 being somewhat of an exception).

Try going for a 98-99 models....steering away from the 323i....yes the last year of production. Most of the bugs were worked out.

Look for a clean unmolested example. Ones with full service records to get a feel on how well the owner maintained it and sure a hint of what you are up against. When you get the car, just do the cooling system first and save the aggravation of a future headgasket issue.

Things to address (or research): rear shock towers (z3 plate).

Everything else can wait but stick with a schedule for 02 sensors, fluid changes, tune-ups etc. If you stay ahead of the ballgame, you'll enjoy the car. These cars are getting up there in age, so expect some routine annual maintenance.

Having owned a 98 328i for 12 years, I have no regrets.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      I WOULD offer that the 318ti is still an e30 at heart ;)

t
      It might even drive just a bit better too, but it's really not that much more practical, although it is less expensive presently.

Comment

I currently have an e36 m3 with the s50us engine. I love the classic looks of the e30 but I think the e36 is a better car. The interiors are all falling apart at this point and parts are being discontinued but they are just as reliable as an e30 and don't require timing belt & valve adjustment service. What ever you choose get the nicest car you can afford with the best service history. A well maintained car will cost you less in the long run

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
          especially well maintained ones (the M3 being somewhat of an exception).

Try going for a 98-99 models....steering away from the 323i....yes the last year of production. Most of the bugs were worked out.

Look for a clean unmolested example. Ones with full service records to get a feel on how well the owner maintained it and sure a hint of what you are up against. When you get the car, just do the cooling system first and save the aggravation of a future headgasket issue.

Things to address (or research): rear shock towers (z3 plate).

Everything else can wait but stick with a schedule for 02 sensors, fluid changes, tune-ups etc. If you stay ahead of the ballgame, you'll enjoy the car. These cars are getting up there in age, so expect some routine annual maintenance.

Having owned a 98 328i for 12 years, I have no regrets.

Good luck.
          Originally posted by Caperix View Post
          I currently have an e36 m3 with the s50us engine. I love the classic looks of the e30 but I think the e36 is a better car. The interiors are all falling apart at this point and parts are being discontinued but they are just as reliable as an e30 and don't require timing belt & valve adjustment service. What ever you choose get the nicest car you can afford with the best service history. A well maintained car will cost you less in the long run

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. But is this meant for me? If you check my OP you’ll see I’ve already found a nice E36 a while ago and just wanted to spark up a chat thread about them in case I need advice on something. Good advice for anyone looking to get into the E36 world though... ;)

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Working...
          X