No announcement yet.

Soft top care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't the window cover just for when you put the top down so the window don't rub against itself?

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
      Isn't the window cover just for when you put the top down so the window don't rub against itself?
      I just use a towel rolled up between the folded window layers.

+1 for Raggtopp cleaner and protectant.

For the rear window, Meguiar products work great. Clear Plastic Cleaner, Clear Plastic Polish, Clear Plastic Detailer.

I've used these products on my tan top for 7 years and it still looks great.
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

naw the window cover is for when the car is outside in the sun and you don't want UV rays killing your window over time. It was bmw's band-aid for using a plastic window instead of a glass one.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Soft top care?

you guys should check out Car Care Specialties http://store.carcareonline.com/carea...dsofttops.aspx
          In the how to section Richard has an article "Care and feeding of soft tops"

Comment

I used these 2 products on my e30 convertible a couple years ago ( since sold ). I was extremely impressed. The top looked better than it ever had, and water beaded up and rolled off of it like it was waxed.

I have detailed cars as a hobby for years and worked in a professional detail shop as well. Few products live up to the hype, I think this is one of them.

303 Fabric Convertible Top Kit - Keep your convertible in tip top shape with 303 Fabric Convertible Top Kit! In the beginning, all cars were convertibles. Not until 1914, when the Dodge Brothers come out with the first closed top car, did a car with ...

Comment

wow. good tips here.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Another vote for RagTopp. Don't go with the cheap SILICONE based camping spray! The rear window cover was designed to prevent snow and ice build up since a scraper or brush would damage the window. I guess it will protect from uv rays just as well. The original BMW window has a green tint to it...perhaps to protect your back seat from uv damage?

Comment

Does anyone here do anything special when storing the top in the compartment? I always make sure it folds without any creases, but I always see it rubbing against the front of the compartment, and I'm worried the plastic will scratch over time. Does anyone have a solution to stop that?

Comment

Big fan of Raggtopp. Use the cleaner and the sealer. I put on a tan top 8 years ago and it still looks incredible. The car was parked outside for 4 years with the new top, but I agree that the only way to keep a top looking new indefinitely is to park the car inside.

Here are the products I use that keep the rear window like new.

Meguiars #18 - general cleaning
                    Meguiars #17 and #10 - deep cleaning, scratch removal, and polishing

Cory
                    1992 325i Cabrio
                    1988 320i Touring
                    2000 M5
                    1977 530i
                    BMWCCA
                    E30CCA

Comment

How well does that window deep cleaner work? My window is hazed pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                        How well does that window deep cleaner work? My window is hazed pretty well
                        I think you will have good results with the Meguiars products and lots of patience and elbow grease.
                        1992 325i Cabrio
                        1988 320i Touring
                        2000 M5
                        1977 530i
                        BMWCCA
                        E30CCA

Comment

wanted to chime in here --
                          just got this plexus cleaner/polish stuff for my rear window and it worked real well getting rid of the haze. good price and easy to use. i used the NOVUS kit before but had better results IMO with plexus.

https://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plasti.../dp/B00092CKN4

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                            It was bmw's band-aid for using a plastic window instead of a glass one.
                            Was there a band-aid for not giving us a headliner!?
                            "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
                            -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

I was advised by the guy that re did my top that there isnt much maintenance involved with canvas as it is a pretty durable material. I think the only thing needed would be a soft brush to just push stuff off and the occasional rinse if dust or pollen collects. For the plastic window just keep that thing out of sunlight as much as possible. That is of course inevitable so just care for it as much as possible. Try not to let that rub against itself while its down as well.
                              I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Working...
                              X