Window Motor Replacement DIY~Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Motor Replacement DIY~Photos

Today my brother and I were at the junkyard and I grabbed a window motor. (keep in mind that front and back motors are the same on each side in a saloon)

I'm going to show you how to pull the motor out, and how to test and make sure that you're getting 12v at the connector.

I know it is very wordy, I am writing it so that children can understand, if you're more advanced or have ADHD you can just look at the photos.

Time: Took me about an hour after getting one from the yard and making sure it worked. (12v right to the wires)

Tools: phillips bit, 1/4 ratchet with socket for bit, long phillips screw driver, flat blade screw driver, multimeter/test light, 12v battery, two jumper wires. Optional: rare earth magnet when you drop screws in the door.

First step: Disconnect your battery or something so you don't die. (given)

Step two: Removal of door card.

This is pretty straight forward, there are three screws holding the door card on, two are in the arm rest, one is located behind a cover. at the top of the interior handle (only in the armrest in the rear). Additionally there are plastic clips that run around the edge of the door card, they are brittle, I use a thin flat blade screw driver and gently pry against the door card. If some break, sucks to be you.

Step three: Remove the vapor barrier.

Next you will have a vapor barrier, this is a piece of plastic glued to the door to keep moisture out. This needs to be peeled away to access the goodies, its a good idea to keep this so you can reattach it. Although I don't have one, and live in a very dry climate, I've read its important.

Now we should see the window motor and the other internals.

Step four: Testing the motor and connector.

I wanted to make sure my motor was bad to be sure it was worth the effort of changing it. So what I did was gab my battery and two 14 gauge wires and tested. You need to unclip the connector (in the above photo it's the black wire, you can't miss it) and plug the two jump wires into the connector. The Blue wire is the positive, black negative. Now touch those to the battery. Does the motor move? If it does not, it's a bad motor. If it does work, test the other end of the connector with a multimeter. You should be getting 12V when the ignition is on, and the window button is pressed. If you don't get 12v at the connector then good luck tracking down why you're not.

Step Five: Disconnecting the window track.

WARNING: the window may fall, get help. To remove the window track there are 4 phillips screws pressing a cover, preventing the track sprocket from losing contact with the motor sprocket. These are hard to get to. I used a phillips bit inside a small ratchet wrench. It worked faster then one of those L shaped screw drivers. Once all four screws are out you need to push gently on the track at the top and the bottom, the window may fall, so have someone there to help hold it if necessary.

Step Six: Remove the three nuts holding the motor in, and remove motor. Should slide right down.

Step Seven: putting the new motor in.

The new motor should side right up in there. Put the three nuts back in. Now you need to make sure the track sprocket meets with the motor sprocket. To do this I just pressed against the track, and turned the motor with the hand crank slowly. You will know its in when the hand crank actually moves the window up and down. The hand crank is a number 4 hex, don't strip it, make sure you put the key way in there.

BACK OF THE MOTOR: This is what it would look like if the door was shut and you could see through the door.

Step Seven: Reassemble.

Now put the four screws back in, plug in the motor and test. You should be good to go, then button up vapor barrier and door card and your good to go!

Hope this helped, and I hope you're no longer embarrassed to go through the drive through.

Let me know if you think anything needs adjusted or changed.

Awesome thanks for posting this!

Comment

Originally posted by Duck_Hunter View Post
      Awesome thanks for posting this!
      Sure mate.

Comment

Timely post! Thanks for writing this up. I've verified power and I have a few questions about the motor itself.

In this pic you show the motor assembly installed and complete.

In this picture you show just the "transmission".

I'd like to know if I can use a motor from a different car. I have 6 or 8 E28 motors laying around and they look similar. Can you take a photo of the motor only? How hard is it to separate from the transmission?

TIA
        1988 325iX Lachssilber / Black
        1987 535iS Diamantschwarz / Black
        1988 M5 Black / Natur

Comment

Originally posted by ahab View Post
          Timely post! Thanks for writing this up. I've verified power and I have a few questions about the motor itself.

I'd like to know if I can use a motor from a different car. I have 6 or 8 E28 motors laying around and they look similar. Can you take a photo of the motor only? How hard is it to separate from the transmission?

TIA
          I will post it up when I get home. IIRC there are two screws holding the motor in. Separation was quite easy. The motor uses a "cork screw" design to turn a gear in the transmission.

I think that you could replace just the motor without doing the transmission and such. (I don't recall if they are screws, 10's or allen keys)

The two screws should be up under here.

Comment

Great guide man, if I ever scrape some extra cash together I'll be doing this, I've got three bad windows. Hopefully that just means the motors are bad! :D

Comment

Originally posted by anabolice30 View Post
              Great guide man, if I ever scrape some extra cash together I'll be doing this, I've got three bad windows. Hopefully that just means the motors are bad! :D
              I just pulled one from the yard. : )

Comment

My drivers side window decided to take a shit today. I swapped switches with a working window and it still does not working. whenever I press the switch in either direction I here a very faint "click". Does this rule out the window motor and leads to the regulator?

HELP PLEASE!

Comment

Originally posted by dudoy View Post
                  My drivers side window decided to take a shit today. I swapped switches with a working window and it still does not working. whenever I press the switch in either direction I here a very faint "click". Does this rule out the window motor and leads to the regulator?

HELP PLEASE!
                  Most likely. But you'll want to pull the door card off and check anyway.

Pull the door card off and make sure you're getting 12v at the plug inside the door. Not enough power could cause a click too.

If you're getting 12v then you need to just pull the whole assembly and put 12v to it and see whats going on.

It's really not that hard. If you do it and get stuck shoot me a PM and i'll get back quick.

Comment

great write up, M.

Comment

Originally posted by roznic View Post
                      great write up, Mike.
                      Fixed.

Thanks Mate!

Comment

Just a quick update, I was able to swap an E28 motor onto the transmission with no problems. The body of the E28 motor was a little longer so it stuck down (towards the ground) a little further but there was nothing in its way so it's a non-issue. Bottom line, go to the yard and get yourself either motor. For the record, the E28 regulator was the X frame style, and the E30 door I put it into has the S tubular style. The motor works in either.
                        1988 325iX Lachssilber / Black
                        1987 535iS Diamantschwarz / Black
                        1988 M5 Black / Natur

Comment

Originally posted by ahab View Post
                          Just a quick update, I was able to swap an E28 motor onto the transmission with no problems. The body of the E28 motor was a little longer so it stuck down (towards the ground) a little further but there was nothing in its way so it's a non-issue. Bottom line, go to the yard and get yourself either motor. For the record, the E28 regulator was the X frame style, and the E30 door I put it into has the S tubular style. The motor works in either.
                          Awesome! Thanks for the update mate.

Comment

Working...
                          X