Strut bearing play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strut bearing play

So, swapping out my shocks and was planning to reuse the SPC camber plates in there, but they seem to have a LOT of play in the bearings. Is any play acceptable? I'm guessing not; is the bearing replaceable, or am I looking at new expensive top mounts? Link to video of how much wobble:

(Yes the damper nut is tightened down!)
    Last edited by Austrianvespaguy; 10-12-2018, 01:42 PM.

Or are those spherical bearings that are supposed to do that? That'd be fortunate. . .

Comment

Found the installation instructions but unfortunately don't really answer the question. Doesn't look like the bearing is replaceable though. I'm thinking with the weight of the car on it it won't be that much of a big deal, and still possible it's supposed to be this way so that nothing binds as the strut angle changes while the wheel is turned through the steering arc. So I'm going to double check that the washers are present and correctly oriented, and that the damper nut is good and snug, and then just put it back in and try it and hope for the best!

Comment

Why don't you take it apart and see where the play is coming from? It's a radial bearing, and the housing pieces are bolted together. The only compliant piece is the urethane, which you wouldn't be able to move by hand if it was still in-tact.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Thanks @JGood, I do have it apart and the play is in the bearing itself, I.E. the inner race relative to the outer race. If it's true that the red urethane bushing is supposed to be the only source of angular compliance, then I guess I need to replace the entire upper mounts :(

Comment

Well how is the bearing installed? Pressed in, or c-clips? Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if it’s replacable?
            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
            e30 restoration and V8 swap
            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
            X