early 525e clutch in late 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early 525e clutch in late 325i

I am swapping the transmission in my 1991 325i Auto using the 5-speed from an 1987 325i. Both are single mass flywheel and everything should bolt up fine. In the interest of saving money right now, I am planning to re-use the clutch/pressure plate since the car drove fine with it. Now that I look at the clutch, i have about 1mm of wear before i hit the rivets. I plan do an engine/transmission swap on this car within 3 years, so it doesn't need to last forever.

Today i was given a clutch/pressure plate with tons more life out of a 1983 525e with a single mass flywheel.

From looking at them, both clutch diameters fit in the incorrect pressure plate. The eta clutch stands slightly taller than the i clutch. I would like to know if it is possible to use the 525e clutch in my 325i with my 325i flywheel. Also, would I still use the 325i throw out bearing and pressure plate?

The 325i clutch part number is 1225562.

The 525e clutch part number is 1861837132.

Comparison of the two clutches on the following website says "indirect cross interchange", whatever that means.

Thanks for any help!
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Thats a tough one but not sure i would go through all the trouble to find out the hard way.

I have a almost brand new sachs pressure plate and clutch which is the proper parts for your build that I will let go for cheap.

Let me know.

Comment

Working...
    X