Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did i say that the early model style spring was used? no
    do the parts diagrams depict the airbag configuration? no
    have you done any better than "just a guess"? maybe, but it doesnt answer anyones questions.
    I'm not calling you a liar, I'm saying that your comments about how you "rigged it and its worked for years" isn't the answer everyone is looking for.
    so stop coming at me like you know it all. i'm done here.

Comment

Thanks to Fred for the pic. ....uh, nando, the image edit you have in post 18 is very wrong. That would pull the pedal to the floor and a really bad job at doing that too. :P

I suspect that this style setup is for airbag cars only.

A couple things I'd like to point out here too.

The weld to the right of the spring, at the end of the yellow sticker, well thats not there on older models. I dont know when the change happened, but i believe it to have something to do with the airbag.
      Example, early model pedal box

Another thing, I obtained pedals from a 91 325i, i dont believe it had an airbag but it had a plastic clutch pedal (which i find quite nice actually) and had the accomodations for the large diameter spring.
      (new pedals on old pedal box)

Then of course these bolt right on for airbag cars.

The reason the compression style clutch return is better than the tension style is because with the tension spring, its harder to push down the further you depress the clutch. This added to the pressure plate force is enough to give you a "swole" leg. As opposed to the compression style, when you reach a certain point, it begins to assist clutch depression, making it slightly easier at the heaviest part of activating the pressure plate. .02
      Last edited by xLibelle; 11-17-2008, 08:10 PM.

Comment

uh, I guess. my wife didn't have any complaints about my clutch when she drove it, I also have the sachs race PP which is even stiffer. doesn't really seem very hard to press down to me. But at least we know I'm not crazy for thinking airbag manual and auto pedal boxes were the same. ;)
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
        X