The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pic dump!

in the rental car at 6:30 this morning and heading south.(momentarily east in this pic)

thats philly in the distance

i was one of the first people there in the morning. this is peter d'amico the legend. i spent a good deal of time chatting with him. we talked a good bit about photography. he really seemed to take a shine to me for some reason. on 3 or 4 occasions he asked for my help in the morning with one little thing or another. i was happy to oblige. he was incredibly stressed out. he split before the auction started. he said he couldn't stand to watch.

lets see....i have so many pics...where to start? about the only car that caught my eye the entire day was this lancia scorpion. the body was very clean and straight. there was a tiny bit of surface rust on the bottom of the driver's side rocker and a small bubble on the bottom corner of the driver's door. this car sold for 1700.00

this is the prototype duetto body. i believe it is the only one in existence. it appears that the body was lengthened behind the front door. i think by about 6" or so.

this is the chassis that was pictured. according to latefan's engine code posting, this is a 2000cc motor. i asked peter about the chassis and he said it was designed to fit under the duetto glass body. as a result, i convinced the auctioneers to sell them all together. i did some rough measuring and found the wheel base of the chassis below to be about a foot+ longer then the duetto body. oh well....they still sold it all together anyway.

here is the basket case gtv. i am very sure this was the only one at the sale. trust me, i spent one hell of a lot of time looking.

on this note, there were several of the better cars from the ad that were missing from the sale. the blue spider with campignolo wheels, the silver gtv6 that was inside the building.....

i am pretty sure he sold them off to private buyers before the sale. considering how cheap everything sold, i really can't say as i blame him. i overheard a couple buyers talking about how up until a couple months ago, he had an aluminum bodied sprint in the shop.(body by touring). it was also nowhere to be found.

i didn't bother taking a pic of the interior, it looked like raccoons had been chewing on it for years. yuk! the hood was stuck, there was no engine, the driver's door was stuck, the passenger door was too close to the car next to it to open.....
    -------------------------------------
    just for you will, here are my sprint pics. the pics make the cars look better than they really are. everywhere i looked on these cars, i saw swiss cheese.

cabby: this one may have been restorable, but the floors were shot. also, there are no other parts to go along with it.

sprint coupe with rear window:

webber carbs

coupe without rear window:

even though there were apparently several sprints listed, these were for a fact the only 3 available.
    much more to come.......
    Last edited by flyboyx; 10-07-2016, 05:18 PM.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Oh shit those are SAD. Wow. That GTV is wet cardboard. One of those Sprints is way better than the other, but....

Were there any solid GTV6 / Milanos?

Nice to see he is fit and well, though.

Really impressed you would go over and do this and bid for Simon. So great.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
        Oh shit those are SAD. Wow. That GTV is wet cardboard. One of those Sprints is way better than the other, but....

Were there any solid GTV6 / Milanos?

Nice to see he is fit and well, though.

Really impressed you would go over and do this and bid for Simon. So great.
        there were several gtv6's and alfetta's. i would say perhaps 15+ combined. they were all rusty as fuck. as i mentioned, the silver one inside the building was not there to sell. there were tons of milano's .perhaps 20? i have some pics of the sweetest one. they will have to wait though. there were a couple cars with 2 or 3 piece aluminum phone dial wheels. so awesome.

i really don't think peter is doing very well. i spent some time chatting with his wife and she alluded he was getting out due to some fairly serious health problems.
        Last edited by flyboyx; 10-07-2016, 05:38 PM.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Sad.

Cars like that white GTV < have > been restored, by metal sorcerers, who essentially started over....but I don't really see the point here. Buy it for the glass and some hardware and trim.

Comment

I was following this thread on the BB...sad to see. As for my Milano project it is at home in NC while I am in San Jose for a new job. Family will be following me out next Spring.

Alfa is running well but needs an ABS accumulator and a driver side Verde Recaro - rest of interior has been swapped to Verde specs. I confirmed that the car has a limited slip different. Has a replacement 2.5L from Adam (Cagedbunny) from a parts GTV6 he had picked up.

Alas I will likely sell it before the move as I fear CA smog for an old out of state car. Burgy my E30 was sold (more like given away) before I came out West a few weeks ago...sigh.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Comment

AWww....I'll miss burgy, and I'd miss the Milano.

I posted a few of flyboy's pics over there - hope he doesn't mind - as the Alfa guys know less than we do, because of Brian.

Comment

Don't worry maybe I will get another Alfa out here. Or maybe a patina 2002. I think anything older than 1976 doesn't have to pass smog.

Comment

Wow, some serious crustiness there. The Sprint with the rear window might have been saveable. I wonder what it went for. That was a complete car, with engine so whoever bought it is A) in for a big project, B) a happy camper because it looks to be a complete car. Now, was it a Veloce? It looks to be a '59 based on the dash, and it was likely originally black based on the color of the dash board. That car had a lot of potential, especially if it was more or less straight. Area's of rust can be cut out and replaced, straightening out a Sprint nose however is about a $5k job. Yes, the car looked crusty, but I would have been game to pick at it with a screwdriver and see if it was serious surface rust or if it was all the way through. It looks like the rocker on the passenger side might have been dead, but if it was an early car, it isn't that hard to replace. (They are open like mine)

That second Sprint with no rear window likely was a goner short of needing a ton of metal work. Worse cars have been saved.

The early spiders are done. Simple as that. Nothing left to save. I'm guessing all the Sprints and Spiders were Normales since they were just left to rot. Who knows however.

Thanks for going on the adventure and having a look. I bet there were a few small trim pieces I could have used, but oh well.

Will
                  '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                  '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                  '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by Petebee View Post
                    Don't worry maybe I will get another Alfa out here. Or maybe a patina 2002. I think anything older than 1976 doesn't have to pass smog.

'74 and earlier. There are a few cars in this area that could be saved, I haven't found them, but I've heard about them. A friend of mine knows were this car is, but again, I haven't found it.

It looks to be a very solid car that just needs some attention. I've bugged him about its location but he isn't saying for some reason.

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Man, still loving that roller
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I made a lot of friends wandering around yesterday. I will say that with the exeption of one douchy fuck, everyone was really nice and helpful.

I texted one of my new buddies this morning. He said the better sprint was indeed a veloce and sold for 5700.00
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

He also said a guy from that cheesy ass beverly hills car club bought all the rusty old cars. Basically, this means they are all going to be showing up on egay in a few days.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                            I made a lot of friends wandering around yesterday. I will say that with the exeption of one douchy fuck, everyone was really nice and helpful.

I texted one of my new buddies this morning. He said the better sprint was indeed a veloce and sold for 5700.00
                            Well, that one will be worth the money to rebuild. Someone got a deal. I paid $2K for my Normale 8 years ago. When the Veloce is done, it will be easily a $100K car if not more. Yes it will cost 25K to rebuild, but still, long term, that was a deal. I wonder what the Vin was?

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

In theory, it can be cross referened from the auction data?

Do you think that car can be restored for 25k? I was thinking almost every panel needed replacement. It had lot of pin holes. Judging by the value you place on it, i guess i would have to agree it was indeed a great deal.

I dont know much about alfas, but was thinking 50-60k.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                                He also said a guy from that cheesy ass beverly hills car club bought all the rusty old cars. Basically, this means they are all going to be showing up on egay in a few days.
                                Not at all surprised they were there
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X