Noise from rear end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise from rear end?

This is my second attempt to describe this sound my car makes and I really cant figure out what it is.

Coming from rear axle area, starts at approx. 20mph and remains steady at any speed, no change from more speed, in gear, in neutral and just rolling, or decelerating to a stop, no change by using the brakes or park brake.

It sounds like a squeak toy. Or like a zipper being zipped really fast, or like two pieces of nylon fabric being rubbed together quickly. No metallic sound, no grinding really, no change with lateral g forces. My rear diff does make that shhhhhh sound but its not loud enough to hear inside the car.

I’m driving up to West Virginia tomorrow for a meeting and the noise worries me a bit. Using a temp gun I don’t find anything getting hot and I don’t smell anything that is baking.

The car is my ‘89 sedan 325i.

When I raise the car and start it, and run through the gears, it doesn’t make the noise so I think it only happens when the weight of the car is on the suspension.
    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Maybe something just touching the driveshaft?

I'm thinking
    of the dust shields, either at the center support, diff, or , hell
    even on the wheels themselves.

hth
    t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will get her on a lift one day. She went 300 miles today, no change, but I’m getting decent mileage so whatever it is........it is
      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Does the noise become more or less apparent as you drive over rough roads?

Comment

Working...
        X